1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuild of Evangelion

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by DarthBill, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Does anyone know when this is coming to America? Japan already has the second one and we still haven't even gotten the first. I can't even find a decent fan-sub.

2. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I have the first one downloaded from Torrent. The fansub group seems to be called Freewind and they did a pretty good job in subbing the movie. Unfortunately I can't find any streams so I think downloading it is your best bet.

3. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well - torrenting movies is illegal and not allowed to be linked in here (see stickies).

There are a few really good quality fansubs of Evangelion 1.01 and 1.11 (the latter is three minutes longer).

The second movie (2.0) will be released on DVD (2.01) in May I think, and probably another version (2.11) perhaps on Blu-Ray or so half a year later.

The different versions of the movies are an attempt at milking the fans.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Good news!

A friend of mine let me know that Rebuild 1.01 is available to watch on Kumby.

6. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

For the record, Rebuild 1.01 has been released in the US, maybe even in your local Wal-Mart if you want the DVD.

7. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

So 4th film will not be released together with 3rd one like it was planed long time ago? Shame. I will wait with watching it till all of them are available. Probably in 2014. If we are lucky. ;)

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looking forward to seeing what we'll get from the third installment (though I'll be stuck waiting for a decent English version). The first two have been really good, and I'm very curious to see how they'll resolve things after the end of 2.0.

Will be curious to see if the ending makes sense and/or isn't utterly soul-crushing this time around. Well, to be fair I actually liked both the TV series ending and EoE, but I'm still curious to see how they handle the finale in Rebuild. Evangelion's ending is one of the more infamous things about it.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm hoping for a happier ending, but... it's Eva.

At least we won't have to wait much longer. I'm dying to know how they're going to wrap it up this time.

11. Celestin

I think it will have a happier ending this time around, but considering how depressing was EoE it can still be a very gut-wrenching finale.

Still, given all these theories that Rebuild is a sequel, not remake and what Kaworu said at the end of 2.0, it seems that at least there is one guy who is consciously fighting for a happy ending this time around.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Right now I don't think we are able to predict anything concerning the end.

Perhaps Shinji is wanking over Ayanami now... or even Kaworu?

13. Lutris

Bump.

A few days late, but here's a trailer that was released on the 17th here, exactly one month before the opening of Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo.

I almost forgot to reserve tickets!

EDIT: Also, the final film of the Rebuild series is coming out early next year (probably Spring), as Evangelion: Final. I think they're pulling an End of Evangelion and having 3.0 and Final be 45 minutes each with a short intermission in between, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  14. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Anyone loath the second movie? I feel like I am one of the few.

Mind, even with my loathing I can barely wait for third one.

15. Lutris

I am the 99%.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loath it? Seriously? How on Earth could you think it was that bad? Hell, I can't really think of a bad thing to say about it at the moment.

Anyway, the wait for good subtitle translations is going to kill me. And then there's waiting for the English dub release after that.

17. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Loathe it? No. End all be all? Definitely not. It was a beautiful movie with some great animation. The end was haunting and entertaining, if a bit over-the-top. What makes me not like it has much as the series, is how blatant they were about the characters.

The series thrived on people wondering and figuring out why the fuck they acted the way they did. It was subtle, borderline not telling the audience anything frustrating really, but it worked, for me at least.

Rebuild lacks that, and they're not exactly going for subtle this time either. That's why I don't like it as much as I really, really want to. But I still really like it.

Also, the trailer? I am so confused as to how they go from end-of-world to everything-looks-normal-again.

18. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

People need to keep in mind that the Hideaki Anno that made Neon Genesis is a very different man than the Hideaki Anno that is making Rebuild.

When he was making NGE, he had just gotten out of rehab for the depression he had fallen into due to problems during the publication of his previous work, Nadia. A depression that lasted for four years. A lot of the issues that he went through during his rehabilitation influenced the series, as he believed at the time that people should be exposed to the realities of life at as early an age as possible. This was compounded by his disenfranchisement of the otaku lifestyle, viewing it as a form of autism. Add on to that other issues in his personal life, financial issues in Gainax leading to problems in production, and the death-threats he received over both endings to the series, and we get Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Fast forward from 1995 to 2007, and Anno is now happily married, is highly respected and rich as hell. All the issues he had are next to nowhere to be seen. While they still are an influence to his work (emotional scars never truly fade), with his happy life he doesn't let them dominate his work, allowing the characters a chance for a happier ending.

As the differences in the Zeruel fightscenes show, back in 1995 he believed that the world existed to drag you down into despair from which there is no escape (whimpering Shinji). In 2007, you can overcome your problems (rage Shinji).

As for the differences in the 'blatancy' of the characters, that is almost solely the fault of the television versus movie difference. To achieve a murkiness of intent, you have to have little flashes of character development spread here and there, sometimes conflicting. In a TV show, you have many episodes to have those little flashes from time to time without majorly detracting from the 'main' focus of the giant robot battles, as well as cliffhangers and loose plot threads from episode to episode. In a movie, you have somewhere around an hour and a half to tell a complete story, with full action scenes, character interaction, sequel and mythology hooks, fanservice, beautiful artwork, and so much more. There's not a lot of time or room for little contradictory flashes of character.

I personally love the entire series, from anime to manga to movie. Something about it just hooks me. It may be that I have a weakness for universes that crush down their characters--it would explain my love of the Dresden Files and the Night Angel series. Maybe it's my weakness for redheads. It's probably a combination of many things, from the battles to the in-depth backstory. Everytime I watch it again, I pick up on another little conclusion or character flaw or moment of symbolism I missed before, and gain a deeper love of the characters.

Here's to waiting for the sub release of Rebuild 3.0.

19. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG LUTRIS I LOVE YOU!!!

HAVE MY MANBABIES YOU HANDSOME, WONDERFUL, SLANTY-EYED GOD AMONGST MORTALS.

In all seriousness. Fucking Finally. I've been an Evangelion Fan since the 90s, and have felt like the series could do with an update since about 2003. I knew about 1.0 and 2.0, but every attempt I made to find a release date or info about 3.0 and 4.0 were met with failure. The lack of new info made me fear that they'd been abandoned...

Now the news that 3.0 isn't far off, and 4.0 not terribly distant past that makes me a very, very happy Eva Fan.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  20. Celestin

What you are saying is mostly true. Mostly, because Rebuild of Evangelion consist 4 movie. The first two are 210 minutes long together. That's like 10 episodes of the TV series and a lot of time to include many things.

By the way, I see that the manga is almost done. After seventeen years. Yoshiyuki Sadamot makes people like Kentaro Miura look fast in comparison.