1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary Recipes for Winter

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Zombie, Nov 7, 2019 at 3:32 PM.

1. Story Content: Chicken Noodle
    Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

I don't know about you, but when it starts getting colder outside, I like soup more and more often. I know a lot of people have been sick lately, me esp. so I'll post a recipe that I favor in terms of making me feel better and being good.

1lb Chicken Thigh
    4 Cup Chicken Stock
    3/4 cup diced onion.
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 tbspn of garlic (I prefer 2, but I also like garlic. So if you like garlic, do 2)
    2 ounce egg noodle (dried is best here, over fresh)
    1/2 tsp tarragon (dried)
    2 tsp fresh parley
    1tbspn red pepper flake
    1 tbspn black pepper
    salt to taste (I'd try it first without salt cause you stock is gonna be plenty salty)

Lemon for serving. (Picked this up from AB, the acidity is a nice compliment to the saltiness of the broth and is soothing for your throat.

Brown up some chicken thigh in a medium stockpot, break it up or precut the thighs into chunks, once brown, remove from the pot add in your onion and cook until translucent, then add garlic and celery. Deglaze the bottom of your pot with the chicken stock, add in like 1 cup to start scrape everything down, and then add the rest.

Re-add your chicken, and the remainder of your spices and let it simmer on low for about 15 min. Skim for clarity of your soup, then add your egg noodles. Cook for an additional 15 min until your broth is boiling and your noodles are al dente. Cook an additional 5 min if you want softer, but not over done noodles.

This should make about four servings. Or two big servings if you're feeling extra hungry.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 5:45 PM
  2. Story Content: Winter Vegetable
    Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

3. Story Content: Pumpkin Roll
    Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pumpkin Roll Recipe
    Very moist and good texture.

[​IMG]

4. Story Content: Potato Soup (Euro Edition)
    Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I found a recipe on reddit recently, and modified it a bit to give it a try. So this is my variant on what was originally a quite traditional Eastern European potato soup.

Ingredients

2kg potatoes
    1kg onions
    1 large garlic bulb (or equivalent in smaller)
    250g chorizo
    1 tablespoon butter (I used a dairy free version)
    250ml single cream (I used a dairy free, oat cream)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Rosemary
    Smoked paprika
    Stock or stock cubes to make stock

Method

Roughly chop the onions, chorizo, and finely chop the garlic. Fry them all gently in the butter, with salt, pepper, rosemary, and smoked paprika. You don't want to burn or crisp them, just soften them in all the flavour.

Dice your potatoes smallish. In a pan covered with a good strong stock, just enough to cover the potatoes and no more. Put the cooked onions, chorizo, and garlic in the pan and then bring to a boil. Reduce immediately to a low simmer, and leave it for...20ish minutes. Until the potato is done sufficiently that you can partially mash it. You don't want to mash it all, really I just crushed a third to a half of it with the spoon I was using to stir the pot. Doing that just thickens the soup a bit.

Pour in the cream. I used single cream because there's no such thing as a non dairy double cream, but adding double cream would boost the flavour further I imagine.

If you want it a bit thicker, I sprinkled a little flour in at the same time as I added the cream and cooked that out.

This recipe made 6 large portions.

5. Story Content: Pot-au-Feu
    balin

balin First Year DLP Supporter

This is a nice French recipe perfect for winter time, the Pot au feu.

Ingredients for 6, about 4 hours of cooking time

400g brisket
    400g shin
    400g topside
    1 bone for the marrow
    6 carrots
    3 leeks
    6 turnips (or less depending on size)
    3 celery sticks
    2 oignons
    2 garlic cloves
    salt, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, cloves for seasoning
    You can also add 4 potatoes!

Method

Put the meat (not the bone!) in about 3 litres of salted cold water. Bring the water to boil, not too quickly.
    Meanwhile, clean and peel the vegetables. You can leave the potatoes unpeeled if you like them that way.
    Stick 2 cloves in each oignon.

Once the water starts boiling, froth will rise to the surface. Remove it using a skimming ladle. When you have removed the froth, wait a few minutes to make sure that the froth is not coming back.

When most of the froth is removed, add the carrots (whole or sliced in two if they are thick), celery sticks, oignons, turnips (cut in two), leeks (both the white and the green parts, cut in two), and the various seasoning herbs.
    Leave everything on a low boil for 1h 30.

After that, add the bone.
    After 30 more minutes, add the potatoes if you've chosen to use them, and wait for 30 more minutes still on a low boil.

It is now ready! If you have some good mustard on hand, it's perfect to enhance the meat's flavour.
    You can keep the broth for later use (to eat with some bread, or to make soup). You can also keep aside some meat and vegetables with broth for about one week in the fridge.

I use this recipe on weekends in winter, the prep time is long but the payoff lasts for several meals! When you come home from work freezing, dining on warm broth with fresh bread feels like heaven.

6. Story Content: French Onion
    Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

6 onion (half sweet)
    3.5tbspn butter.
    1 tpsn salt
    2 cups white wine
    10 ounces beef bone broth
    10 ounce chicken broth
    10 ounce apple cider

thyme sprigs
    bay leaf
    parsley (gonna tie these together, so whole is fine)

salt (to taste)
    pepper (finish)

1.5 ounce burbon (if you have top shelf, use that)

bread and cheese of your choice.

Peel and slice onion into shreds. Cut in half, place cut half face down on the cutting board and then cut perpendicular to the rings, it will cause it to shred away in fine slices instead of coming out chunky.

Add butter to med-hot pan, let melt. Add onions and salt layer by layer, the salt will help the onions sweat and all their liquid come out. Let them sweat for 10 to 20 min, depending on your heat and how much they've shrank before stirring, don't do it before hand. It doesn't help sweat them when you're letting the heat out.

Once you've started stirring cook onions until they're a dark caramel color and they've reduced to about two cups. Time expectation is about 40 min to an 1 hour.

Add wine until onions are covered and cook until the wine becomes thick like a syrup. Add beef bone broth and chicken broth and cider and bourbon. Take the thyme, bay leaf and parsley and bundle those and place within the liquid. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 20 min.

Soups done.

To serve, take some bread, either whole loaf (which you will need to slice) or pre-sliced and sprinkle your favorite cheese mix on top. Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is crispy at the edges.

Place bread on top of bowl of soup, enjoy.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Slightly modified from Alton Brown's French onion soup recipe. He adds cognac at the end and never lets it cook off really. I like bourbon better and I also like it to cook off so its imparting flavor and there's no chance of spirit after taste.