1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend Stories: Crossovers

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by h2o, Feb 10, 2013.

1. h2o

h2o Professor

I know we have the Alternates section but that's for Crossovers and AU stories. So I thought I'd try starting a thread for HP Crossovers only as they're not easy to find in the first place, but finding ones that are good enough to read... bordering impossible. Therefore the standards are around the Almost Recommendable thread ones.

The two I'm starting off with have been posted here (WBA and Library) before but are a great example of a good Crossover.

Title: 13th Stepping
    Author: Rymrock
    Genre: HP/Starcraft
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5604127/1/

Summary: The future is locked in civil war, and each side searches for the key to victory. Thrown into this world, Harry must keep his wits about him if he is to survive what lies ahead. AU HP/Starcraft Crossover.

This is also in the WBA forum but I found myself reading the one on FF.net first and I'm quite impressed by it even if there are a few things I don't like.

Mengsk instantly knows Harry is a Wizard and Harry instantly finds out what happened to the Wizards back on Earth. This could have been a mystery to both of them instead, Harry wanting to find out what happened to his kind and if there are any others like him out there and Mengsk being amazed at Harry's apparent superior Psych abilities, wanting to use him for his own means like he does with Kerrigan.

Title: The Havoc Side of the Force
    Author: Tsu Doh Nimh
    Genre: HP/Star Wars
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5604127/1/

Summary: I have a singularly impressive talent for messing up the plans of very powerful people - both good and evil. Somehow, I'm always just in the right place at exactly the wrong time. What can I say? It's a gift.

I don't have much to say about this story because its absolutely brilliant. There's also a companion piece which you can find here. The only downside so far is that the main story is only at 32k words and I don't know how long it will be until the next update.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

All the crap Roarian spews out is worth reading (i.e. it is effing fantastic), crossover included: Wand and Shield is HP/Avengers & Wizard from Earth is HP/Man from Earth (a movie I haven't seen)

I am oddly fond of this series of HP/Naruto xovers: A Personal Matter, Sphere of Influence, and Extending the Boundaries. Be warned though that the first one is a bit slow and acts more as a prequel to the other two, given that Harry is about six for it.

A Study in Magic is a HP/Sherlock Holmes xover. The old stories by Doyle, not the new BBC series (though there is another story of the same name that crosses it with the BBC version).

I rate all of the above as at least 4/5.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fallout: Equestria, because I haven't recced a pony fic in a while.

It's basically an adaptation of Fallout 3, set in the Equestrian Wastelands. Back story is revealed through the fic, but it's not spoilerish to say that Equestria and the Zebra nation got into a war that turned pony land into a 1984-esque nightmare headed by Princess Luna and the Mane 6. Then the megaspells hit.

If you've never given a pony fic a go, I'll just say give it a few chapters. The characters are well rounded and the world is built up extremely well. Some things are direct adaptations from Fallout 3 (like the Enclave), but with an explicitly pony twist to them.

4. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Effloresco Secundus Harry Potter and Naruto Crossover

Wherein Hermione dies and is reincarnated into Sakura Haruno's body sometime during her academy years.

Now I almost past this up for a multitude of reasons. It being HP/Naruto and Sakura-centric as the big turnoffs, but I started wondering how awesome someone could make this. From a post DH Hermione shoved in a land of ninjas and conspiracy while struggling with her new Identity...

Well I was wrong This Hermione has been in the narutoverse for a few years by now and has no problem referring to herself as Sakura. The story starts around graduation and not counting the last chapter its been mostly relationship and character building, doing the natural thing in fics like these showing what changed due to her being here (as far as we can be shown from her perspective no long winded monologues knowing things she shouldn't) As well as setting things up for later down the line.

While compared to some awesome crossovers I've seen I'd give it a 2.5 but it's a really cool premise and despite all the things that would predispose this to shitty fanfiction (hp/naruto, sakura-centric, and their summary isn't inviting) It really isn't bad.

3/5 for me.

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Hm. These are the crossovers that I've looked at recently. I would definitely not be expecting much(or any) quality except for the ones that are already in the library.

Maybe you'll find one of the other ones decent, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I wouldn't give even an almost recommendation to most of the non-library/wba stories on the list.

Pretty much any library story is infinitely better than any of the rest, but I don't really feel like adding them to the list since you can just do a tag search. Edit: And since Trig did it for me. Thanks Trig. If you haven't read those yet, do so.

HP & X-men

Harry Potter and The World That Waits by dellacouer (In the Library)
    HP & Avengers These all kind of run together. Most of them are ripping off W&S, most of them suck.

The Snake and the Spider by Rainseaker (This one might not suck. Can't remember.)
    Legal Alien by Whispering Darkness
    Mirror Mirror by Scythe
    Fly by Whispering Darkness (Kind of wtf.)
    Twofaced Riddle by prion
    Frozen in Death by Kefalion
    Of Strangers and Friends by cywsaphyre
    Chance Encounters by Rain Seaker
    Harry Potter and the Aftermath by CJaMes12

HP & Dresden

The Master Of Death by Ryuugi Shi (WBA/Library)

When He Finds Out
    by Uncle Stojil (It doesn't suck thaaaat much. It's in the WBA, but definitely not in the library, no way.) Is this better?
    School Spirit by StoryEnvy
    HP & Naruto (These are mostly pretty awful.)

Uchiha Fukurou
    by ToBetasered (This one is in the library, and isn't that bad.)
    Ninja who Lived by 88mph
    Teacher by romantiscue
    Find Me a White Knight Cloaked in Black by cywscross
    Make It or Break It by Dreamyin

HP & LOTR

Concerning Wizards by Morwen Pendragon
    Doomsman's Herald by Roarian/Morta's Priest (Work By Author)
    HP and Assassin's Creed
    Harry Potter and the Assassin's Creed by Grinning Lizard (Library)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Harry Potter / Firefly

Browncoat, Green Eyes by nonjon

Harry Potter / Dresden Files

Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage

The Denarian Renegade, Knight, Lord, Variation, Apocalypse by Shezza

Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain by nuhuh

Harry Potter: Abjuration by Surrarin

Of Harry and Harry by Joe

Beyond Grave Peril by Random Shinobi

Grimm: A Fairy's Tale by Krahae

Harry Potter / Marvel

Project M by Water Mage

Harry Potter / Bleach

Retsu's Folly by nuhuh

Harry Potter / Fate/stay Night

Fictional by Dark-Syaoran

Harry Potter / Anita Blake

The Stalking Blood Sack by nuhuh

Harry Potter / Doctor Who

That Which Holds The Image by TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I like the story, it's not a Harry Potter crossover in the slightest.

I back the recommendations for Shezza's Denarian series, Awaken Sleeper and Wand and Shield.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn it. This is what I get for posting at 5am.

9. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7929587/1/The-Girl-with-Red-Hair

Solid HP and Naruto crossover so far. A bit slow-paced, but I like that it doesn't leave out much, although it hasn't been updated in a while and the author is a fucking tease with the cliff-hangers. But yeah, you know the story: Young Harry (pre-Hogwarts) leaves the Dursleys, winds up in Narutoland and becomes a ninja. Still, it's done well and as best as it can be done, I found. Just read it. Now.

10. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

Harry Potter The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat

It's a Harry Potter, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra Crossover.

I cannot judge the grammar, but I find the story entertaining. The story happen century after Korra's era (who seem to have been the last Avatar), discussing the consequence of the Equalist movement on the relation between benders and nonbenders.

In the story, Hogwarts is a school that teach bending, each House being linked to one of the four element.

Harry is a Gryffindor who seem to have lost his ability to use firebending after rescuing Ginny in the Chamber of Secret. At the same time, he seem to have gained a violent tendency that he is trying to contain and a fear of drowning.

The story goes on about Harry regaining the ability to use fire and maybe more.

I'm aware that my summary does not give credit to the story, but I think that it is worth reading.

11. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Nope.

And nope.

Anyway, I second Harry Potter and the World that Waits and also want to add It's All Relative on the Hellmouth by the same author. It's a pretty good HP/Buffy crossover, or at least it was the last time I read it.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Alright, alright, be anal at the guy recommending your story. ._. It's not in the library, I remembered incorrectly. Sorry I mislead you everyone! It's just in the WBA with 45 votes averaging out to 4.71/5, but not the library.

I fixed my egregious error. Stojil, please forgive me.

(My bad with the name though, fixed it.)

13. methor

methor Fourth Year

I really want to believe that this is sarcasm

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter / Dresden Files

I hear Sirius Interruptions is an alright go of things, for a Sirius-centric story*

I don't read much of anything on FFN that hasn't already been written by one of us. I seriously don't have anything else to rec by another author >_>

15. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Title: Harry Stark of the Red Winter
    Author: oso1991
    Crossover: Songs of Fire and Ice

Summary:Harry fell through the veil due to a battle in the Ministry many years after the fall of Voldemort. Sent through time and space, he fell in the lands of Westeros as a young child. Raised under the protection of Lord Stark, how will Harry change the game?

I've enjoyed this one. Harry's part doesn't feel at all forced and the world of GoT remains authentic. Sadly, it hasn't updated in a while.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Ah, Red Winter. The very classic tale in which Harry falls in love with Margaery Tyrell because he believes she is Hermione reincarnated and the author decided this made some sane sense because apparently, according to the Wiki entry on Margaery they read before actually seeing or reading her in action in the second book/season, they decided that she was the most like Hermione. Yes. Really.

And then there's the apparation abuse which is able to help Harry out of many situations, but not to have him apparate up to save Ned from the chopping block when he was literally right there watching and could've done so. According to the author's notes, the author didn't go that way because they couldn't think of a storyline involving keeping Ned alive, even for like two more minutes before he dies some other way and the war still happens. Just felt weird.

So yeah, it had words and those words took some time and all, but not totally eager for an update after some of the fuckery. Urge to convince Lutris to write HP/GoT rising...

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Eh, I just read over the HP/GoT snippets that Syao sent me whenever I get that urge Matt ;)

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    A few others for the thread that haven't yet been mentioned, some of which are of Library quality; the rest, of Almost Recommended quality:

HP/LOTR:

The Traveller (sic) by tthorn. "Condemned to die, Harry Potter grasps life. It will take him far away from everything he knows and change him in ways that many will tremble to see. He will witness the war to end all wars and in it he shall make a name that will last until all life in all the worlds ceases. Multicrossover Powerful, Political Harry." An odd story, seems to be headed toward "Amoral Harry takes over Middle Earth."

HP/Dr. Who:

Visited by a Doctor by Tangerine-Alert. "At a young age Harry met someone called the Doctor, he became his friend. Over the course of his school life the Doctor returned, in each of his incarnations. Leaving Hogwarts Harry continues to have adventures, visited upon by the Doctor's influences." 373k words, a hefty bit of story for those who enjoy the Dr. Who franchise.

HP/Star Wars:

Broken Chains by Darth Marrs. "When Harry fell through the Veil of Death, that should have been the end of the story. But 40 days later he returned with a power never seen before, and a darkness in him that made both the dark and light fear him. H/HR/LL. Rated M." A bit of a "meh" story with some of the worst elements of DM's storytelling (sex-obsessed "Luna flakes," the threesome element you sprinkle over stories, being among the most annoying)--probably at the lower end of "Almost Recommended."

The Boy Who Fell by Darth Marrs. "The Boy Who Lived didn't. Now 13 years after Harry Potter was murdered by the Dursleys, magical England is on the verge of collapse. So Luna Lovegood wishes for someone to come and make it all better." A little better than his other HP/SW tale. Concludes with a curbstomp. Almost recommended.

HP/Deadliest Catch:

The Sea King by Doghead Thirteen. "Nineteen years ago, Harry Potter put paid to Voldemort at Hogwarts; now it's nineteen years later and, as the diesels hammer on, a bushy-haired girl is still searching for The-Boy-Who-Walked-Away... Oneshot, Deadliest Catch crossover." A one-shot, better than it sounds.

HP/Calvin & Hobbes:

The Best Seven Years by Blu Taiger. "Calvin is eighteen and living in England with his folks. Now, he's faced with the task of telling Susie what he's been doing for the past seven years." My son's favorite fanfic. Calvin-centric, it captures the innocence and self-absorption of the comic strip. The grammar is spotty, the plot is a bit crackfic on occasion, and there are annoying moments of songfic. Still, it's complete and not a bad way to spend time if you enjoyed the comic.

HP/Lovecraft:

Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod by Heather Sinclair: "Every seventy years members of the Order of the Bath, a British order of chivalry, are being killed off. That is until Harry is brought in to hunt the killer or killers down. Harry/Padma. *Complete*." The best crossover I can think of from these worlds.

I've written a few crossovers (at least one of which is in the Library, last I checked), which might be read in a pinch. The most notable two are the following:

HP/Highlander (first film):

Don't Disrespect the Queen by Perspicacity. "The powers of the immortals combine in the one receiving the Prize. In the film, upon defeating the Kurgan, Connor MacLeod receives the gift of telepathy. What if he were also gifted with magic? HP/Highlander first film crossover. Not slash." Goblet of Fire redo fic with Connor MacLeod in the role of Defense against the Dark Arts professor.

HP/Dresden:

Lost Soul by Perspicacity. "Bad things are going down in Chicago, bad supernatural things. So what's new? A green-eyed mage from Britain arrives and hires Dresden to locate something. Once again, Dresden finds himself caught up in matters above his pay grade. No slash." A first chapter of something I considered continuing, before it was pointed out how poorly I write Dresden and how badly conceived my merge of the worlds was. Still, some might enjoy it.

19. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Story has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. And the reason this author hasn't updated is - in my expert opinion - because season 3 of GoT hasn't come out yet. When the show gives him or her some new ideas to rip off I'm sure we'll see more updates.

He or she is one of those authors that you just can't but help want to choke a little. Like I remember reading a part where Harry "creates" like granola bars and Littlefinger and Varys are like orgasming at the creation before them. Little bits like that just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

And I immediately lost any kind of respect for the author when he mentioned not having read the I&F books. You're doing the TV series - that's fine and great! Do the show, but if you've read the something "cool" on the Wiki and now feel the need to add in the books as well, go read them and get a proper feel before you make an ass out of yourself! Honestly, Margaery Tyrell sleeping with a peasnt like Harry...Pure lulz.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This was interesting. I liked it at the start but slowly lost interest as it continued. I made it through a dozen chapters or so though.