1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations from the last two years? (HP)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Samuel Black, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Life gets in the way and I haven't really read very much over the last couple years. What would you guys say should be on my list to read from that time period?

2. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12957404/1/Subversion

I'd honestly recommend this.

Also comes with glowing recommendations from DLP Bigwigs like Sesc:

It's simply good writing. Or, in other words, what 90% of FF.net never achieves.

And Lungs:

This is wholly incredible and I can't believe it's fallen under the radar for me - it has one of the more delightful descriptions of an eldritch being I've seen in fanfiction and the use of Voldemort's name is incredible.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12627473/1/The-Half-Blood-Romantic

Was also pretty popular for a while, its just on your cut off point though, so I don't know if you were around for that.

3. Samuel Black

Nope! Both of those are new to me. Thanks!

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

DLP Competition Winners!

I personally quite liked Resurrect the Living on AO3. It helped inspire part of an original short story I'm working on. Worth reading, imo, regardless of the pairing that hasn't appeared yet.

Echoes in the Fog is disturbing, perhaps to excess in parts, but not as much as some of the authors other stories.

Joe's Unravelled Seam I've been enjoying - it's currently updating and very new.

Beyond the Curtain is not quite my own cup of tea, but it's rather good regardless.

@Todeswind is still writing fan-fucking-tastic Dresden Files xovers with SG1. There's recent stuff along with older stuff, and I'm not sure where to start or where you might have left off if you'd already been reading. But there's a chunk more than there was two years ago, and all of it excellent.

If you'd like some original work to read, then Mother of Learning should be getting it's final update later this month. It's been going on for more than two years, but with the ending in sight I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I find myself oddly engaged by - and eagerly awaiting updates to - a lot of Carnivorous Muffin's stuff on ffnet. Perhaps the most 'normal' of their pure HP works is When Harry met Tom, though of course it won't be for everyone.

...and while I'm sure there's more, those are the ones that come to mind as being perhaps recent enough to quality. I'm sure I've skipped something I really enjoyed regardless. That always happens.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I mean, you could trawl the Library @Samuel Black. Everything that's been discussed here is in there, OTTOMH I can't think of anything spectacular that appeared and isn't. Sort by thread creation date and move backwards?

6. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:

That's been one of the more enjoyable HP fics i've read in some time. Thanks for the rec there, just devoured it in one sitting.

7. Samuel Black

That did cross my mind, I actually hated making a thread for this. I have about two weeks before work gets crazy for the indefinite future so I was looking for more of a highlight list. I've dug through some of the library though and bookmarked a couple of them though.