1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Reign of the New Protogenoi by JBubu - M [Percy Jackson and the Olympians]

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Archinist, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

Title: Reign of the New Protogenoi
    Author: JBubu
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: Percy/Rhea/Hestia/Percy's sister (what the fluff?)
    Summary: He's been through hell ... literally. He saw things that shouldn't be known but the truth had to come out. His trust broken, his world suddenly a lie and one betrayal after another. He was the greatest hero but now, Olympus has lost him and with that, they set up their own end. A reckoning is coming and lines will have to be drawn. A new King will come and with him, a new era...
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12215739/1/Reign-of-the-New-Protogenoi

There's been a depressing dearth of readable Percy Jackson fan-fictions since... forever. None of them have been particularly entertaining, original, or of any real substance. I'm rambling.

I'll admit I sped-read this fan-fiction, but I've seen enough to formulate a solid opinion of it.

The idea is somewhat original, and solid. I feel bile rising in my throat to say it, (personal preference) but the harem pairing doesn't feel forced. JBubu's writing style is solid and he has a good grasp of grammar and spelling. Aside from the Olympians, most of the characters aren't too OOC.

My gripes with the fic stem from a common flaw with lots of fan-fiction writers. Creating OP characters, and trying to create a good conflict for them. The entire story past chapter ten to twenty is drawn out, especially since the main characters are all a gazillion times more powerful than everyone else. Plus they have practically no restraints.

I can't say I have a permanent score for the story, since it's a WIP, but I'll give it a 3.5/5, possibly a four.

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wanted to like this, but it was the standard betrayal story we've read across many fandoms, many times before.

Percy gets powers over darkness and fire; has an animagus holy form of a giant wolf; and makes new, cooler friends whilst under time dilation. He has two swords, one of them a katana, and I wouldn't be surprised if he then never uses them outside of a training montage. Also, the Gods are basically all evil, because raisins.

I gave up at the point that Percy's been dating his girlfriend's mother for fifteen years, living with her for five, and blushes at the thought of 'heavy petting'. There hadn't been a shopping trip in the boulevard of the Gods yet, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

Technically, the writing didn't strike me as bad, but the story elements, details, and plot were all meh. At best. Probably a guilt pleasure, but you'd have to be invested in the fandom or pairings.

2.5/5, rounding it down to 2/5. If I ever run out of other fandoms and other things within this one, I wouldn't be unwilling to try this again.

3. Archinist

I say your rating is solid.

IMO, the cancer turning PJO fan-fictions into a cesspit is bashing. Anyone with a single neuron, I think, knows something like this situation would never happen.

I'd be generous about it and give a three if the author gets his story together and stops drawing the conflict out. If I was being totally objective, it'd have to be a two. My problem is simply the fact that FFN has an utter absence of good PJO fan-fictions. None of them capture the tone of the original series.

Scratch that. None of them are good. Nothing about them is enrapturing or enthralling. I just think this one is at least a bit above the rest for some original bits of its premise.

Ah, that's all.

P.S. There are some good fics. But they're most likely abandoned.

Edit: Nah. Out of mild spite I'll rate it a one.

4. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Why is this in the library? It should be in Almost Recommended at best.

5. Archinist

Because I joined the site less than a month ago. I still don't get how some things work.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, he's asking why it was moved to the library, not why you made the thread.

7. Archinist

Okay, so I'm just stupid.