1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Resonance by GreenGecko - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by realmess, Sep 3, 2005.

1. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

Title: Resonance
    Author: GreenGecko
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/General
    Pairing: Harry/OC
    Chapters: 79
    Words: 528,272
    Updated: June 27, 2005
    Published: March 29, 2004

Summary: After Voldemort's destruction a bored Harry finds himself hanging
    around the dungeon. A Snape adopts Harry story.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1795399/1/

I found it a very satisfying read, plus it's complete!

Outtake:

Title: Resonance Chapter 23 & A Half, Getting Detention
    Chapters: 1
    Words: 13,227
    Published: May 11, 2009
    Summary: Harry turns a little trouble into a lot of trouble by protecting his friends. An additional chapter to Resonance in the form of a short story. Written for xrayjuliet.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/562135/GreenGecko

Sequels:

Title: Revolution
    Chapters: 41
    Words: 397,328
    Updated: November 27, 2006
    Published: September 6, 2005
    Summary: Sequel to Resonance. Harry continues his Auror training and begins a journey of mastering his unusual and growing powers. Harry, with the help of his adoptive father, is finally making his own way, but fate and prophecy are never completely absent.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2569561/1/Revolution

Title: Resolution
    Chapters: 83
    Words: 787,878
    Updated: November 13, 2012
    Published: April 1, 2007
    Summary: Sequel to Resonance and Revolution. Harry enters his second year as an Auror Apprentice. Snape's wedding looms, and Harry's odd new powers mature, creating mayhem, perilous temptations, and opportunities to gain real wisdom.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3470741/1/Resolution

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012
    Added the sequels

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, this is an alright story. Ron has a big cry because Snape adopts Harry.

3. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

Resonance

true, though personally I loved McGonagall's reaction. It's so rare when she loses her cool poise.
    8) real mess

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

lol, yeah. She's one of my fav characters in the books. Not enough of her thou.

5. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

This is one of the better "father figure" Snape and Harry stories I have
    read.

6. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Dude...the last post was SEP 03, 2005.

Are you like!?! Wtf...7+ months.

7. Vassago

Vassago First Year

Maybe that's because the story is finished? :p

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Now that you bumped the thread, I never read this story further than summary, but I was always wondering... Harry defeated Voldemort, right? Then, why the hell would he want or need to be adopted? He's already like 16-17 years old, hero of the world, right? Isn't it too late to pine after parents?

9. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

For the record this has a sequel out.

10. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Cant get passed IP's point. and so i wont read it. Sounds stupid

11. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

From what I remember, after killing Voldemort with an anti-AvadaKedavra, Harry needs a new directon in life. Problems: Scar, DEs. While everyone is celebrating, Harry has to struggle with attempts on his life, his freaky link with the Dark Mark, the Demetors - in short, he has been tainted by Voldemort. Enter Snape. He (Snape) has been tainted as well, only it was by his own fault, and has had more time to deal with it. Harry manages to win Snape's respect (not love, mushiness comes way later, mostly in the sequel) and they start helping each other out of their respective misery. Harry does not 'pine' for a parent - he needs somebody to support him, because life is tough. There is no happily-ever-after in this story, Voldemort proves to be only the first obstacle. Considering some of the things that happen - an easy to overcome obstacle: Avada Kedavra! and he's gone.

Overall, the story is good. There is constantly something going on, a challange or mistery to tackle, and if Harry breaks down one or two times, it's justified.

The pairing is NOT Harry/OC by the way. He dates an OC, but is pining after Tonks. Pity she's his superior at the Auror academy. :mrgreen: At least he doesn't bitch and moan about it.

I'm following the sequel, and things start to get a bit... I don't know, too tangled. Angst-levels are rising, and if something positive doesn't happen soon, I might loose interest. My advice: give it a go, get to chapter 10, skip if you have to. It get's better.

12. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

That summary tells me all I need to know. And I know I don't wanna read it. It sounds too mushy for my taste.

13. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Despite the summary, this is probably one of the least mushy stories I have read. It is however, fairly angsty (though some of that may be from my interpretation of the sequel) Apart from the little side trip to a shaman which really bugged me, both this one and the sequal stay pretty clear of overly emotional or sappy characters or scenes.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Wow. Been a long time since I posted in this thread. The story started well but with the whole 'Ron-cry' thing, it just got boring. Fast.

It seems this will also have a third part, with the sequel already being 300k+ words. It's just too long, without a really interesting plot.

15. cubdom

cubdom Guest

I cannot believe this is in the recycle bin. It is my absolutely favorite story of all-time. Now, I'm not a typical DLP reader. I'm open to a broader range of stories and this one, on it's surface, doesn't appear like a typical DLP story. On the other hand, Greengecko introduces a lot of original characters that are very well defined.

The story is also: Super-Powered Harry. Fairly Independent!Harry. Animagus!Harry, and it goes into a lot of detail about magic.

The *world* in this story is very well developed and Harry sees a good bit of it.

Again. I love this story, so my suggestion is that everyone give it at least a few chapters. I couldn't imagine not reading this.

16. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I agree. The Author is, quite frankly, brilliant, and I quite frequently hear people reference Resonance as the thing that got them hooked on HP fanfiction. It has a very believable and gradual transformation of Snape from a complete douche to an almost loving father. The idea of Harry still needing a father after defeating Voldemort is that although his main threat is gone, he's, I believe, sixteen, and wouldn't mind a protector/father figure.

Recently, it has gone HP/NT, which I believe is a pretty popular pairing on DLP, although it's not a major facet of the story. It has very cool ideas about magic, and a very realistic idea of very!Powerful! Harry, although not quite super!Harry. It has interesting dynamics between just friends!Harry/Hermione platonic relationships, and the "Ron Crying" thing, as Dark Syaoran mentioned it was just to show the way that people drift apart. Think of how many friends from high school you still have. Going to different schools, different parts of the world, losing touch, growing differently, the only thing that keeps Harry and Hermione friendly is apparation.

17. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Sorry, pal. When you know a person who's insulted you for his whole life, raped your mind, killed your parents, killed your godfather, killed your mentor, and betrayed everything you stand for I can't see how he can become your father in any way bar the imperius curse.

It's like writing a redeemed Voldemort!story. No matter how good you write that shit, it's still completely retarded. I protest reading any Snapeisgood! stories in principle.

18. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I may be thinking of a different story, but I think that part of the story is that Dumbledore placed a block on Snape that made him like Harry more, and after it was removed from him, he was already pretty close to Harry. Also, resonance was started before HBP, so the killing of the parents was a moot point. (Unless that was in OotP? I'm pretty sure it was just implied in OotP, but I may be wrong.)

Have you ever hated someone for five years, before actually talking to person, and realizing that they can be kind of okay? It's like that, but more extreme. I'm pretty good friends with a bunch of people I loathed for years. Consider Hermione and Ron and Harry. "Oh dear, I hate Hermione, she's so annoying and bossy." They incapacitate a troll, and suddenly they're all buddy-buddy.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I tried reading this story a while ago; I really did, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The writing is good, but Redeemed! Snape like Belerdorhan said, I oppose on principle.

5/5 for good writing mechanics.

-3/5 for the actual story

Total:

2/5

20. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Yeah, you are thinking of a different story :)
    I quite liked Resonance when I read it. I felt that she pulled off the Redeemed!Snape thing quite well. Granted, the angst got a bit annoying at times but the overall writing is so good that it's easy to ignore parts I don't like.