1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the King Chapter 9- The Grey Havens

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

The denouement moves at a relaxed pace, and I'm impressed that Lobelia gets to have her moment in the sun. She was certainly a tell don't show character, but its been so long since we've seen her that her mere memorability is enough to endear her to us.
    Galadriel comes through again with a timely gift, and we get the regrowth of the forests of the Shire, and even grows a Mallorn. I really like how they describe 1420 as a marvelous year, not just for crops but also people.
    We see a little bit of Frodo's continued wearing away, as the wounds to his spirit fail to heal. Its explained well in its connection to weathertop.
    Its a tender goodbye for Frodo and Bilbo, and while its not long, its still very good, it hits at the right emotional notes to show that we don't need long dialogue for them to show their feelings.
    Great ending line by Sam, "Well, I'm back."

Next week is review and discussion of the whole series.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 9: The Grey Havens
    • Overall been enjoying this chapter, but first thing I feel the need to comment on is this:
      I did the math, and the Hobbit + LotR is 81 chapters in total. Which puts us at the previous chapter (The Scouring of the Shire) being left unfinished and then this one being written entirely by Sam. Having the timing not quite work out for Frodo such that the previous stuff he was around for is left to Sam as well as the handoff fits well with this being a living world rather than entirely a story. Absolutely lovely little detail.
    • I'm glad they included Merry and Pippin in the send off in the movies. Feels wrong that they're not there for the end.
    • AYYYY GANDALF CAME IN CLUTCH. Absolutely thrilled they did get to be there.
    Final thoughts will go up tomorrow, to let what I read today marinate for a bit.