1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the King, Chapters 5 and 6

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Getting us back on track.

The Steward and the King
    While the romance between Faramir and Eowyn seems contrived; the idea of two victims of trauma bonding in their trauma and a collective fear of oncoming doom isn't outrageous.

Aragorn really gets politics. He didn't enter the city earlier, and here he shows effort and skill are rewarded. He has Faramir and Frodo and Gandalf involved in crowning him, demonstrating that he got the job with the help of others, while at the same time showing he has the support of the the previous government, wizards, and powerful foreigners who have helped.

The soundtrack of the movie is so evocative that in reading the arrival of the elves with Arwen, I was immediatly brought into the soundtrack of the Arrival of the Elves at Helm's Deep.

Chapter 6 Many Partings
    Arwen gives Frodo a powerful gift, her place on a boat to the Grey Havens, and this is symbolized with a new necklace to replace the one he wore the ring on. I really like this; it ties a through line from Elrond and the Last Homely House through to the grey havens, and it gives Frodo the only gift that is commensurate with his efforts.
    Though part of me wonders this is being a punishment for his failure to destroy the ring on his own. Because he relied on others, in the grey havens he will be alone, the only hobbit there.
    Another great end-tie is Gimli and Eomer concluding their discussion from Two Towers. In that book Eomer had said many mean things about Galadriel and Gimli had threatened to cave him up with his ax. Here Eomer has now met Galadriel.
    'Gimli' Gloin's son, have you your axe ready?'
    'Nay, Lord' said Gimli, 'but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.'
    'You shall judge,' said Eomer. 'For there are certain rash words concering the Lady of the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'
    'Well, lord,' said Gimli, 'and what say you now?'
    'Alas!' said Eomer. 'I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'
    'Then I must go for my axe,' said Gimli.
    'But first I will plead this excuse,' said Eomer. 'Had I seen her in other copmany, I would have siad all that you could wish. But now I will put Queen Arwen Evenstar first, and am ready to do battle on my own part with any who deny me. Shall I call for my sword?'
    Then Gimli bowed low. 'Nay you are excused for my part, lord,' he said, 'You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning. And my heat forebodes that soon it will pass away for ever.'
    Great humor, and also poignancy. just a great scene. It also is the first document fabony fight.
    More time is spent on Theoden's funeral than Aragorn's wedding. I'm sure this means something, but I don't get it.
    A lot of loose ends up wrapping up, including Ghan-Buri-Ghan getting their forest. The Ghan name makes me think Turkic or Steppe in origin, but that doesn't fit the forest dweller ninja theme. Anyone know an etymology of who they were based on?
    Merry's parting gift from the Rohirrim is really well done. We get a great description of this new Horn, and more of Merry's character to refusing gifts. Does make me think that Pippin got a short shift.
    I didn't think it would happen, but Fangor and the Glittering Caves, for Gimli and Legolas to do their fun bro trip together. It felt more like something that would be saved for a followup or a sequel in our modern Franchising.
    Legolas says of the glittering caves, "only Gimli alone could find the words to speak of them." He seems shell-shocked from the experience.
    Bilbo's greeting the hobbits is delightful. It feels very relaxed and like visting in a retirement home.
    I have seen anniversary pain in my clinic. Old traumas, physical and emotional can show up on anniversaries, Its very strange how the mind works.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 5: The Steward and the King
    • I... don't love the romance between Faramir and Éowyn. It feels very rushed, very pining, very... idk. Overall weird.
    • I don't like that Éowyn accepting Faramir's love involves her immediately giving up being a shieldmaiden.
    • The crowning of Aragorn is cool, well handled on all sides, though I'm a bit confused as to how Merry is out with them? Might've just been too long and I don't feel like skimming
    • Beregond's sentencing was great, but I'm curious about Faramir being appointed Prince of Ithilien, wiki says he made it up, but someone must've been running the place till then
    • Aragorn is such a tease about his wedding
    Chapter 6: Many Partings
    • Arwen being able to pass on her western trip to Frodo raises questions about who exactly is allowed to go, and who gave up theirs for Bilbo (thought that second one may be addressed later)
    • Éomer and Gimli's chat about who exactly is the fairest maiden was amazing
    • The forest being given to the forest guys was good
    • Merry getting the horn from Éowyn was an amazing moment, I've grown to love him and Pippin, so it's great to see one of them get recognized like this, though I wish Pippin had gotten a similar moment
    • Treebeard letting Saruman was definitely a mistake, but I like that he did it. Calls us back a bit to the discussion of Tom Bombadil, and why he'd be an ill-keeper of the ring. Neither task was really in their nature
    • Aragorn keeping the Stone of Seeing for himself was 100% the right move, and it's an incredibly useful heirloom to keep for his line now that they have nothing to fear from their use
    • The meeting with Saruman is unfortunate, I wonder if he'd thought of going to the Shire before now.
    • Ayyy Bilbo gave Sam his remaining gold, which puts him in a way nicer position for marriage. love to see it
    • I like that Bilbo is old and confused, but still coherent. Better than in the movie.
    • Him passing the book onto Frodo was also a great moment. This type of thing is part of what makes books better than movies for this type of story, you're able to meander your way through all the loose threads get them tucked in and neatly snipped.

3. Shouldabeenadog

So ithilien was the wilderness area that Sam and frodo explored, where they met faramir the first time, when the men of hard were battling, where they found the decayed statue of the king abandoned, and everything from then up to minas morghul. .maybe even including minas morghul.

4. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Oh I got mixed up then. For some reason I thought it was one of the places they got reinforcements from for the siege of Minas Tirith. That makes a lot more sense.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Checked in with my ultra-nerds. They informed me that Minas Morghul was to be cleansed stone by stone as part of Faramir's new job, and that the vale it rested in was not fit for human habitation for scores of years.