1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by CheddarTrek, May 31, 2013.

1. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

We have a similar thread in Fanfic Extras, but that thread mostly deals with fanfic-related questions (or questions about canon for a fanfic, etc.).

This thread is meant to be for asking all the other questions that don't need their own thread to get an answer to. I'm personally thinking about it in terms of getting a question answered because you're writing some original fiction and need a hand, but it applies to other things as well.

Here's my question: What are some professions/hobbies/abilities or whatever that (1) are skill based (no luck), (2) create something tangible, and (3) is not painting (edit: I'd like it to have a practical use beyond beauty)?

The only one I can come up with is Forger/Forgery. Your success is skill based, you create something (a copy of whatever you're forging), and it's not just creating art.

'Magical' concepts are alright too, if they are widely known (I suppose voodoo doll creation could count?), but I am mostly looking for more mundane ideas.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A chef or baker would probably satisfy those requirements. Also, pretty much anyone with an Etsy storefront. And farmers as well.

3. wordhammer

wordhammer Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Machinist

Gemcutter/Jeweler

Cabinetmaker

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Minister of Magic

My mum works with stained glass, and does windows, sconces, and jewellery.

This is one of her earlier works, and it sits in the bathroom window.

[​IMG]

She's been working with glass for about seven or eight years, selling them at craft fairs, school fetes and stuff, and makes enough from it to completely support itself as a hobby, including buying the kiln, and branching out into things. She recently bought a weaving set, and goes from barely refined sheep wool to the finished scarf, including dying it.

5. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Any artist except painters? And poets. Poets don't count.

6. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sculpting is awesome, you can use many materials and create a lot of things.

Some say gardening is zen.

7. CheddarTrek

I'm trying to stay away from "traditional art" as well as painting. I didn't want to cut out all of them though, in case there was a neat idea (like stained glass).

Right now I'm liking farmer, machinist, sculpting.

Part of it is that I want the final product to have a... a practical use, I guess? With farming you can eat it. With machinery you can use it for whatever you made it to do. Paintings look nice but rarely have practical use. A sculpture might not be for display but instead for some other purpose.

So far some great ideas guys, thanks much. :)

8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

As Custer can attest to, the Battle Game we play (Dagorhir) is played using handmade foam weapons. There are people who can make very simple weapons and then there are people who can make extremely awesome looking weapons.

That and I like modifying Nerf blasters because it starts with a stock blaster and ends with a beastly monstrosity.

Both are pretty nerdy but the creation aspect of it makes me smile just as much as the actual use of the end product.

Question: Who here does a martial art of some kind, and if so, what do you practice and how long have you practiced? It's pretty common among my friends to know something and I'm curious how wide spread the practice is.

I practice Tai Chi for the record.

9. CheddarTrek

I practiced Seibukan Shorin-Ryu from age 14 through age 18. Dojo closed when I was 17 and we kept things going by occasional visits to another one (much further away) and local practices every week.

Some of it sticks with me. Things about how to move, or punch, or some of the exercises. Some of the kata as well, though that has faded with time.

10. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I did aikido for closer to 10 years before finally calling it quits. Been doing thaiboxing and hapkido for a couple of years now.

Always wanted to try Tai Chi, is it fun?

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I'm a certified Silversmith although I havent been in practice for about 3 years. During my training I had a go in a blacksmiths forge, similar concepts just a larger scale.

I've also done some traditional bookbinding, creating books from raw paper, leather and wood, I create the metal fastenings for them through the above mentioned silversmithing, so it all comes around.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

You could go with wood carving or even tailoring. From there, you could choose what you want to do with it. Tailoring can go from everyday clothes to disguise for Halloween or Game Battle (my mom's friend was doing the latter and she seemed to like it).

--

I've been doing Karate Shinkudo (derived from Kyokushin/Shotokan) for 17 years now. I'm also doing Aiki ju-jitsu Nintai for a couple of years and am on my way to black belt. I'm going to start Judo this summer to get some competition experience under my belt since both style aren't competitive one and to get another black belt.

I'm also going to open my own karate school next fall.

How's Tai Chi? I'm curious as well.

13. Riley

It's extremely relaxing after you learn the first few forms. there's several different levels which are numbered. I'm proficient up to Yang Style 48 form. It starts at 8 and then moves up in multiples basically. I'm a big fan of the simplified 8 form though since it's only 8 "moves" in the Kata so it's extremely easy but really relaxing.

As a martial art, I never tell people to study it, as a relaxation method though and for balancing practice it's amazing. it's just that the martial side of Tai Chi (Push Hands for the uninitiated) is pretty hard to get right since you have a partner most of the time and that's not always optimal for your desired practices.

I can't recommend it enough if you 1) want to become more flexible 2)need a form of meditation that's not just sitting still 3) want to gain better balance.

On that note, I've never done any other type of Oriental Martial Art, I studied Capoeira for a brief time when I was 11-12 and that was fun but really hard. It's described as dancing but until you actually master the basics, it's not really that similar.

14. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

It's definitely 'traditional' art, but pottery fulfills the whole 'functional creative activity' mandate. That's one I decorated last year; functional pitcher with a bit of artistry thrown in It's a reproduction of one in Stoke-On-Trent, so oddly close to the forging example. Have a platter of mine as well for good measure; old designs, but not any sort of reproduction.

Glassblowing is a similar blend of function and art. See Roman cage cups or cameo glass for extreme examples. There are still people who do cameo glass; not sure if anyone does cage cups. Though if I'm honest, cage cups are probably pretty damn useless anyway given how fragile they are.

Blacksmithing also works. Strap hinges are an old standby of art with a purpose (see Durham Cathedral north door 2), as are wrought iron gates, fences, screens, andirons, and myriad other bits of household furniture. That's to say nothing of the weapons side of things.

And on the furniture note is carpentry, cabinetry and woodcarving. There's all manner of beautiful, useful furniture out there.

To pare it down, pretty much any of the traditional craftsman/artisan fields would apply. Baking, brewing, distilling, spinning, weaving, masonry, thatching, basketry, whatever. A lot of them are little niche markets, but they're all still out there.

Edit:
    Have you run into vellum before? I always kind of want to have a go at binding a vellum manuscript, but the stuff is horrifically expensive and I don't want to fuck it up.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Huh, so many people with interesting skills in this thread!

One no one has mentioned: fashion designers, pattern makers, the other various jobs in that industry, not too familiar with it.

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ME/EE/CS.

Did Goju-Ryu for, oh, seven years or so before the dojo closed, then continued it on and off the last few years as the teacher started doing lessons for free in a local park.

17. Riley

So here's another question for you guys. I've seen this one posed on Reddit once or twice: What is a safe, reliable way to make money online and quickly. Now keep in mind I have a job, full time no less, but I'm always looking to make extra money and the threads I've found on Reddit are a bit iffy in my opinion, simply because I don't know the people there. I know you guys are fairly trustworthy though so I'm curious if anyone has experience with this kind of stuff.

If you have done this kind of stuff, was it worth it to you?

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah if anything it is much easier to bind since if is very very hard to tear it while threading the twine through it. Unless it is old and dry it is probably the nicest material to work with.

If you just wanna have a go at it, have a hunt through second hand book stores or estate sales in the area, you can usually stumble onto a few old Vellum book that you can just tear down and re make.

19. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I practiced Kajakempo Shuin Fa for a few years before I had to move away. It is an entirely combat focused martial art. It's entirely about effective fighting in real situations. Sparring is a core aspect of it, and is done at full strength.

I got lots of bruises and strained/dislocated body parts.

20. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

Frankly the easiest ones I've found so far is though online gaming. It might be because I've spent too many hours in that environment but there's a couple of easy one, though they've gotten worse recently, it's still pretty lucrative.

1. Selling gold/currency - generally in MMO's, Botting up gold or playing auction houses can generate a steady profit of real cash, not much, but still a nice addition.

2. Selling characters - the most I've recieved for an account is 500€. Granted, it was my main account. Still didn't stop me from taking it back a year later once I was out of basic. I've since sold it again for 350€. People really are stupid and lazy. And yes, I'm a dick, I know it.