1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by CheddarTrek, May 31, 2013.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Minister of Magic

Something popped into my head today, but I have no idea where it's from.

It's an (I think) evilish character, who says something along the lines of "ah well, that'd do it" then dies. I think they're an older man, but I'm not sure.

I think it's a film, or a TV show, might actually be a book. Pretty sure he's been monologuing about nothing able to stop him, and then (surprise!) the heroes do it.

EDIT

It was the Goblin King from The Hobbit. The line was "Ow. That'll do it". And all it took was 90 minutes of Overwatch to figure out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of earbuds? I'm looking for a b-day gift for my brother and I need something that's durable (he's in India) and sounds relatively good. My budget is $150.

3. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

The Economist Fixing Brazil’s pension problem

I admit that is not place I bother to read articles of but was mentioned elsewhere and made me curious. Is that the normal quality or this one just went through with no zero understanding of the actual situation?

4. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Hmmm. Does anyone here know the Petition process for families of naturalized US Citizens and Green Card holders for them to obtain Green Cards? Forms I-130

5. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Actually, I have a pair of new-in-box Heaven IVs I've been meaning to move. I bought them as a surprise for my sister, but I apparently misheard what she wanted [wireless... lol]. They have a pretty balanced sound signature with a slight emphasis on the mid-range/upper-mid vocals, and is the only design with BAM (balanced air movement) in their price range. BAM mechanisms usually appear... past the $400 mark, I believe. They have a decent soundstage, although of course can't compete with actual headphones like my Beyerdynamics.

You can get them for $169 off Amazon, but I ended up shipping the violet colorway for $130 from Amazon Japan through a proxy friend. Happy to unload them at cost and cover shipping myself.

They come with a cushioned metal protective case. It's lightweight and obviously inexpensive in-hand, which is to be expected for a $169 IEM, but serves fine as a daily carry.

Feel free to PM if interested.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  6. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

Anyone familiar with employment/labor law? I know it's illegal to fire an employee if they refuse to carry out an unsafe task, provided that refusal follows OSHA's standards for when and how you can refuse. Is it illegal for a supervisor to tell an employee they can be fired for refusing to carry out an unsafe task in an effort to intimidate them and/or discourage reporting of such incidents in the future?

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, intimidation and reprisal are illegal.

8. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

Well then. This should be fun.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Document everything.

10. Jarizok

Jarizok DA Member

Tell us more! You can't drop a juicy question like that with no follow up.

11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    ^^ This. Definitely this, Marsupial.

12. Rehio

Rehio The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Tell us after you take 'em for everything.

13. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

Planning to get a new desk chair for my birthday. Was hoping someone might have suggestions in the $200-$300 range. I do intend to try out chairs at the local Office Depot, but if there aren't any I like then I'll have to go further afield.

Preferences / Requirements:

1. 'Short' chair. I.e. It comes up to my shoulders but there's nothing behind my head. I enjoy stretching and whatnot too much to put up with anything behind my head.
    2. $200-$300... I could fudge on this some, but I'd rather not.
    3. Ability to not have arm rests. Usually you can just not attach them when you put it together, but in order for my chair to be high enough and still fit under my desk, I need there to not be arm rests. That's the problem with my current chair - I want it to be about an inch higher but it won't roll under far enough if it is.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I hope it's okay to ask this question here. Who might I contact about an invite to the DLP Steam group?

15. NuitTombee

NuitTombee Supreme Mugwump

ScottPress

Anyone in it, gimme your profile name and I'll do it.

Edit: Never mind, sent.

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you shop around, you can pick up a Sayl by Herman Miller in that price range. I've one in my home office and can confirm that it's a very good chair. I prefer it to the Aeron (by the same company) that I used for over a decade at work.*

It's a short chair and thus satisfies your first desideratum. Regarding your third, the armrests don't completely retract but they do go low enough to get out of the way.

*My present choice of chair at work is a Leap by Steelcase (I've a couple in my office). It's also a very good desk chair, though likely out of your price range.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Does anyone have a favoured flight search engine? I'm using Kayak, Momondo and Expedia to search atm.

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I go to Southwestairlines.com.

19. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Not really, but it's usually good to check with the airline directly before you book anything. Some of them deliberately up their prices to online resellers to encourage business directly with them.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm pretty sure I've got a dead mouse behind my wall. Research has led to a great answer "Remove the corpse from the wall." Unfortunately I can't just do that. Does anyone have a recommendation in order to remove the smell?

Thanks