1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. awinarock

awinarock Heir

Does anyone have a good book I could read to catch up on politics in the 20th and 21st century. Every time I visit the politics thread, it becomes more and more clear that I'm woefully ignorant of global political history in general, but especially of the happenings in the 1900's and the last 2 decades.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Diplomacy, by Harry Kissinger. Start there.

3. s508338

s508338 Muggle

Completely different topic: Looking for answers to all the basic questions of life

I'm a mid-20's male doing mid-20's male things. I have a good job (finance) that I don't hate but don't particularly enjoy. I've always enjoyed reading and writing but I also fall into the category of hating (loving) writing and would like to push more towards that in the future. If I were to pursue a more creative path, what options would be available? What is really out there?

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unless you're good at it or fit some niche market art, writing, creativity, is an expensive hobby. So maybe clarify what you mean by creative path? You could always do some gonzo style shit tripping balls on acid and quaaludes

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Honestly my advice is "don't quit your day job." Especially since you say you don't hate what you're doing.

If you want to write then write. You don't need to change careers to treat it as a second job (and 'push towards it') if you want to get serious about it. Write, submit what you write to agents, editors, contests, whatever. Collect rejections. Keep submitting. Write something different. Keep trying, maybe self-publish, maybe not. But write - there's no point considering what to do with your writing until you actually have something written.

You'll get somewhere or you won't. If you do then you can change careers and shift towards making money from your writing, but I wouldn't leave a job with a steady paycheck that you don't hate. Not unless you're reasonably certain there's another source of income to catch you.

6. Solfege

Solfege Order Member DLP Supporter

It depends on what you regard as creative. The stereotyped dichotomy of "disciplined logical alpha [business] mind" versus "dissolute artsy creative" doesn't really hold water. To do great math or science at a very high level requires a very high level of creativity. Similar characteristics, I'm sure, would go to engineering robust, new financial products as opposed to merely structuring same old, same old.

These days it's harder and harder to support oneself as an independent writer. Most who do it, do it as a second job until it becomes lucrative enough/they've built up a following to go full-time. Ched has it right.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To pass along some second hand advice have multiple projects on the side. You don't known what will take off. It could be novel A, B or C. Maybe app X, Y or Z. The point is not too put all your eggs in one basket.

Once your projects are resulting in some income you'll have a better idea of what's working. Focus in on the more successful projects. You should see an increase in income.

At that point you want to determine what level of income you're comfortable with. As the project income takes off you'll get a better idea of its potential and whether switching it from your secondary job to primary job will have a good return, in other words is taking it from 20h to 40h going to make a difference. If yes, go for it. If not start some new projects and use that base you've already made.

The above is all assuming you want to switch careers. If you're looking to just scratch the itch make a list of things to try. Take some classes, brew some beer. Don't worry about finding the perfect hobby just explore.

8. Limetrix

Limetrix Squib

High Score:
    Guys so I just finished school and am applying for college. So I have the next three months free so can anybody suggest something I can learn to do reasonably well. Like I need a hobby but I want to git gud, so to speak, in that time period. Any suggestions?

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Well...If you're going to college...here are my suggestions:

-Coffee Brewing
    -Expert Napping
    -Master Procrastination
    -Learn that death is all that is and your soul is forever doomed to the pits of deadlines.

On a serious note, look at the colleges you're interested in and see what kinds of organizations they have on campus.

Are you looking for a hobby to add to your application? Or just for fun?

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Check out Mike Boyd's Learn Quick channel on YT.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    I second that.

In the five months between my leaving school and starting university, I often went karting after a hiatus of about six years and set myself targets with certain lap times, but also in terms of how many laps I could do and combined that with a light training regimen. Helped me enormously. So if you want to do something fun and do something for your body, I‘d recommend that.

Other than this, admittedly, rather specific area of interest, I recommend picking up an instrument. If you can already read music, all the better. I‘ve always found the saxophone to be a great beginners‘ instrument (the less heavy and cumbersome alto sax in particular), and the learning curve is manageable for your timeframe as well. It‘s also not too expensive aside from the initial investment and potentially useful at your college of choice.

12. Limetrix

Limetrix Squib

High Score:
    Are you sure about the sax being beginners instrument? Looks very difficult to use.. I wanna try music but am a complete noob at it. Like have learnt nothing about music. So if it take it up can I say play the cover to a song in like three months?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Just a hobby. In India colleges don't care about your hobbies, or extra curriculars as much. Preference is given to a SAT equivalent exam equivalent, for my case ISC.

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    There‘s little reason to be intimidated by the looks and the eloborate keywork, the essentials are actually fairly easy to grasp. In terms of technique, the advantages of the sax over other woodwind instruments are that it‘s relatively easy to produce a sound (which is, especially for total beginners, harder to do on a flute with its peculiar mouthpiece) and that the fingerings (the finger positions) stay the same throughout the lower octaves, which is not the case on the clarinet. So, if you want to go for a woodwind instrument, I would definitely rate the sax best, especially for older students who can support the comparatively high weight.

If you want to play a cover, then you have two options. Play from memory, or read from a sheet. If you don‘t know how to read the notes, then that‘s a complication, but not inherently bad. There are many tutorials on the internet for learning that, so I would say, if you invest some time, then you should be able to learn a song in three months.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Learn to cook, friend. A skill that has literally no down-side, will help you save money, and will impress the partner of your choice if you get good at it.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    I will second this.

Allrecipes.com has some good ones to begin with and give you some good starting recipes.

As you cook, you'll learn the way flavors work together and the ways they don't.

16. Zombie

High Score:
    I'll second and third cooking.
    Mostly because food is always a good hobby to have.

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

People knowledgeable in Spanish, I summon thee to aid me! The sentence "?Qué van a tomar?" is used by a waiter asking for what I want, but what is this "van"? I only know "van" as the 3. person plural of ir (go). Why am I using "go" here? Or is it even "go"?

18. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing First Year

I believe that is "going"

As in "What are you going to drink?"

Edit: I think there is a rule here where if the the verb "to go" is used in a certain form it becomes "going"

19. Zombie

High Score:
    It is go. It literally means what are you going to take.

It applies to groups, so ellos, ustedes, etc.

@Eilyfe Join IRC and we can discuss more if you want.

20. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Can't; I'm on my way to tomar una botella de vino blanco. Thanks for the reply though. It cleared things up.