1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disfruta tu bebida

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am looking for some microwave-safe dinner plate/trays to replace my previous set. My old ones saw so much cutlery and microwave use over the last 20 years that the top layer of plastic finally just started to degrade and chip away. I've looked high and low and I can't find anything that meets similar specifications:

- rectangular or oval plate/tray with 7 x 9 width/length - maximum 8/10
    - has a deepish rim so you can put liquid stuff in it (like 1.5 inches would be good)
    - is cool-touch tech or has wide lip / handles to prevent burns
    - no internal food divider
    - comes with a splatter lid
    - lid and plate are both microwave and dishwasher safe
    - unbreakable

Something that looks like this but without the weird grill shit:
    [​IMG]

Help me, DLP. You're my only hope.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

Can't speak for your local selection but around here IKEA is your friend.

4. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Question for the native speakers. Take the following examples:

#1: On Wednesday, Parliament chose him as the successor of Enda Kenny, who had resigned just over a month ago.

#2: On Wednesday, Parliament chose him as the successor of Enda Kenny, who resigned just over a month ago.

Which variant would you take, simple past or past perfect? And why?

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I think both are technically grammatically correct: it is possible to indicate specific time with past perfect without triggering other rules that apply, unlike the present perfect. However, because it is abundantly clear which action came first - one of the past perfect uses being to indicate sequence in a sentence describing multiple events - the past perfect is not particularly needed if you ask me. I would go with the second, but I'd have a very hard time marking the first one down.

Oh, right, usual disclaimer: not native speaker yada.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. Sorrows

Sorrows Auror Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly I don't think there is much in it. It comes down to clarity. past perfect allows you to more clearly sequence the events. 'has resigned' suggests that Enda Kenny's resignation came before and as a result there was the appointment of a new successor. It also can imply distance between the two events as it is less dynamic and more formal, e.g that it was a planned resignation rather than a reaction to say, sandal or something.

Using simple past can also mean this in many cases. Usually it also does not clarify a point in time, however in this instance the remainder of the sentences does do that so in this case you can use whichever gives you a better cadence or rhythm when it comes to the rest of your paragraph.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Option 2 is correct, although most people won't be able to tell much of a difference.

The reason is that by saying 'ago', you are placing yourself in the present. Ergo, the simple past is more appropriate (this thing happened before now). 'Had resigned' is pluperfect, so it refers to things that were in the past of the already past (this thing happened before then). It demands another reference event for time comparison, or a timing adverb (he had resigned a month previously).

Make sense?

8. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Yeah. Would it change if I choose "earlier" instead of "ago"? As in: had resigned earlier that month.

In general though, I see that the had becomes somewhat superfluous because the context already makes it clear what came first. Thanks for the replies, appreciate them.

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Earlier that month" implies a month that is not "this month", i.e. that it has already passed, so in that case, the pluperfect would be more appropriate.

10. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, this might be more suitable in the MCU thread but I figure it would be more relevant.

In the first Deadpool trailer, Deadpool comments on why Cable's arm hasn't been CGIed yet and says that "It's not like we're trying to remove a moustache". In the second one, after Cable makes some comments about his own time, Deadpool say "So dark, are you sure you're not from the DC universe?".

Can DC not take legal action for these as they were kind of mocking? If they had just been mentioned in passing like if Wade had said "I used to read DC comics all the time" then I know that wouldn't be an issue but these references are inflammatory.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not a lawyer. If they wanted to be shitty maybe they could sue but really that's just them taking the piss. So I doubt anything will be done of it. It's not like they've stolen intellectual property

12. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

They are not inflammatory wtf

13. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

It would also be easily covered under Fair Use as parody/criticism even if it weren't Deadpool saying it. DC makes shit live action movies but they aren't sensitive snowflakes, and Marvel lawyers aren't dumb.

Free speech and all that.

14. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not saying that I think they're inflammatory. I myself love the line and the diss at DC. I meant that some might perceive it as inflammatory.
    I thought so but I was just wondering, what with everyone suing each other over the most minor of things (And some even succeeding).

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Starting GRE and LSAT prep this summer. Anyone have any suggested prepbooks or just general advice?

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    To all DLP coders, I was advised today that my python code is "too java-esque" and that I should aim to make it "more pythonic".

Can anyone point me toward a good (and extensive) python 2/3 convention guide complete with style explanations? I could google it, but I'd much rather have recommendations based on personal use.

The GRE is not a difficult test in terms of knowledgebase. If you can do algebra, geometry, trig, and have half decent vocab/reading/writing skills, you can go into the test cold and be prepared for 90% of the material.

What makes it difficult is the unconventional question formats and the fairly brutal time constraints. Someone going in cold is probably not going to be able to finish all the questions.

And it's for that reason that I personally recommend the Kaplan prep books. Kaplan focues less on building your knowledgebase and more on teaching you tricks and helping you build the skills required to succesfully navigate the test's wonky format.

Though if you are just looking for a general knowledge review, ETS is your best bet.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Since Khan brought up the topic, I'll jump in.

I tried this website codeacademy.com a couple years ago and the beginner's course went through website architecture, the most basic of basics. My own fault that I didn't stick with it.

If one were so inclined to try and learn how this mystical art of "coding" works, is it a good idea to start with html? Does it have bearing on coding skills? Or are those separate skillsets and it's better to go directly to one of the coding languages?

18. theronin

theronin Order Member

I don't do python, so can't really help you there, but I would ask whoever gave the advice to be more specific, because it's anyone's guess what they really meant.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I'd say start with Java if you're actually interested in coding. Html is more web designy. And java has lots of wordy self explanatory method calls, and thus algorithm progession is a bit easier to follow.

It refers to code optimization, i.e. using the language the way it's meant to be used with the proper python conventions.

20. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

I'm with theronin on this one, that's not very specific for what you're doing wrong/oddly, asking for clarification would be a good idea.

Here's the main style guide for Python. Does a pretty good job talking through the why's of the decisions.

That put out there, I'm actually with theronin on that one, that's incredibly vague and not very helpful, could be a good idea to ask for clarification.

EDIT: Didn't refresh before posting, just saw your follow up. I'd take a look at the style guide I linked and see if that's it, but there's also stuff that you pick up the more you use a language and the more code in it you read/work with. Might just have to spend some more time with it to pick up the little tricks experienced coders in it use without thinking.

HTML isn't really a programming language so much as a markup language. It's just used to tell a computer how to display information in the most basic sense. CSS is then used to add more detailed style, and Javascript is the actual programming language used for the web.

If you're a complete novice I'd recommend going through Chris Pine's Learn to Program. It's in Ruby which is in declining usage, but it's the most beginner friendly intro to coding I've ever seen, and I use it for the Intro to CS Bootcamp I run over breaks for students that want some prep before jumping into our intro classes.

If you have a bit more familiarity with programming and computers (using the terminal and such), then I'd recommend Python or Java. I picked up both through my classes at college though, so I'm not sure what the best online intro for either of them is.

EDIT: Anyone know how to get it to not split up a quote like that? It's kind of annoying but it won't go away...