1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Georgia Martins

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I am actually all over this. A friend and I brainstormed a bunch years ago. Highlights included Maxwell Shaft and Jarvis Baron.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    For a moment I thought that said Jarvis Bacon.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Sounds like something a drunk Tony Stark would pick.

5. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Question for any audiophiles or home theater enthusiasts: What is the importance of AV Receivers and why are they so expensive (more so than quality TVs in some cases)?

6. awinarock

awinarock Fourth Champion

I'm looking to buy some land in the mountains. The particular patch of land I'm looking at costs about $9.5K. Would it be better to get a loan or simply save up the money and pay the whole thing upfront?

7. Ched

Xantam - I don't know. I usually ask those questions on HardForum when I have them.

Awinarock - if you save up is it likely to be still be available for purchase when you're ready?

8. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Depends on your income and the loan rates in the area, honestly. My suggestion would be to save up, especially since it's mountain land; it's not exactly in high demand, but I'm also far more averse to debt than most people, so take that for whatever it's worth.

9. awinarock

I honestly don't know which is why I'm kinda stuck between deciding whether or not to save up for it (which would take at least a year or two given what I make) or to just bite the bullet and get a loan. Like Agayek said, it's mountain property so it's not exactly in high demand but there is a demand. My worry is that cheaper properties will bought.

I make minimum wage so it would take a year or two of penny pinching to save enough money for the land and by then it may go up in price. Of course, it might go down as well but I'm not a huge fan of making guesses as to where the market's headed. Loan rates for raw land, especially in remote areas, are terrible and many of them require large downpayments. Fortunately, I might qualify for a Section 523/524 loan which would greatly reduce the downpayment and the interest rate (possibly to zero). Unfortunately, only areas that are considered rural by the USDA qualify for the Section 523/524 loan so I guess I'll have to call in and check this afternoon.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    If you don't mind my asking, what are you planning to do with the land? If you are planning to improve it and this is an investment (possibly for a domicile), then I'd say take out a loan (interest rates are low) and make payments to get the property you plan to use. If it's just "buy and hold," it's not generating revenue for you while you hold, and it's not expected to appreciate in value faster than your interest payments on the debt, then you may be better off passing on buying until you have the cash to purchase it outright since you'll be effectively paying extra + paying taxes for land you're not using.

Depending on the seller, you might be able to work out a seller financed mortgage or equivalent if you don't want to or can't come up with all of the cash up front, though unless you have lawyer (or realtor) friends you can buy off with beer and the like to write up the docs, you may be out more in legal fees than it's worth. Any way you go (conventional lender, federally managed lender, or seller-financed), you'll get better rates and treatment if you have a substantial down payment on the note to begin with and decent credit (every lender will run a credit check).

11. awinarock

My plan is to slowly make improvements and build my retirement home. I'd chill in a camper or a van while I improve the land, and occasionally work for a couple of months till I have enough money regular bills and some minor luxuries. From what you've said and the research I've done, a loan would be my best option.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

12. Ched

If you are sick and coughing all night - do you sleep soundly anyway?

I ask because I've been sick the last few days and coughing a fair bit. From my perspective I slept great last night - woke up feeling rested and whatnot.

But I was almost certainly coughing all night in my sleep because I was coughing before bed and once I was awake.

Also because I apparently kept the couple up next door with my coughing. They came over a bit ago to offer me cough relief and went on about how I couldn't have gotten any rest with all that coughing.

When I was a kid my parents always seemed to assume the same thing. If I was coughing they'd come wake me up and bother me about trying to stop the cough so I could sleep - but I had been asleep, and again from what I felt I was getting good rest.

So does coughing at night keep most of you up? Or do you sleep through your coughing just fine? What's the norm?

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It depends on the severity and type of illness for me. If my airways are obstructed and I have a hacking cough that is failing to clear out the goop, I feel like I wake up just enough to bring my chest and throat muscles out of their relaxed 'sleep state', cough some more until the obstruction is clear, then go immediately back to sleep. If I remember waking up at all in the night it will probably be a fuzzy sort of dream-like remembrance. Basically, my body is waking up, but my brain is still asleep.

But if it is just like a sore/irritated throat and there is no obstruction, I will definitely sleep right through any fits.

The real trouble for me is actually getting to sleep in the first place when I have a bad cough. Usually need some sort of sleep aid.

14. Ched

If my nose is stuffed so I can't breathe out of it then my entire night/day will be fucked.

But apart from serious coughing (like I had with Swine Flu) it's never really given me trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. Unless it's paired with the stuffiness.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I'm looking for an app that I can do voice to text with on iPhone. Intended use is to 'write' while on a long drive. Anyone know any good ones?

16. Ched

I think @Todeswind does dictation for his writing. He might know.

17. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I've tried it with the Google based voice app. Overall the accuracy is pretty high but it always goes off when you pause to think. Ended up fiddling with my phone more than if I'd just typed the damn thing.

18. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm in the market for a new(ish) car as the cost to repair my current one is too high. I've currently got my eye on thisVauxhall Astra.

Problem is, despite owning one for the last couple years, I don't know much about cars. My main worry is fuel. I've been told the smaller the engine, the more fuel efficient it is (So 2.0L bad, 1.0L good). But is this actually the case? Or does it depend on other factors?

It takes me about an hour to get to work, (20 minutes worth of 40mph roads then 40 minutes worth of 70mph roads). Then an hour of the same road back.

Not really sure what size engine I should be looking at or if there are any other factors to consider.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Ched It depends on the specific virus/infection you've picked up. Things like chest infections and influenza have you coughing during the night, but I've had colds that have had me hacking up phlegm all day but no coughing during the night. Sounds like you got lucky and picked up one that doesn't have you coughing during the night.

20. Ched

That was a while ago lol, but thanks.

But not quite - I know I was coughing up a storm during the night sometimes because I keep people up who are in other rooms. It just doesn't usually phase me while I sleep.