1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 18 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Counter intuitively, I've found that undershirts work. Get a good brand that fits your skintone with a deep collar and they don't show much either even if you button down between official meetings.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

If you wear button ups, undershirts are a must.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §–

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Also, don't match the undershirt to the dress shirt. Wear a gray one under a white dress shirt. White one will show. Gray matches skin more closely.

4. Chukar

Chukar Squib

I find the high end 100% cotton undershirts work best.

As a side note, why won't your employer use the AC?

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fucking despise undershirts, even the uber light cotton kind. Unless you guys know a brand that feels like you're wearing nothing at all and is also anti-sweat, that option is probably not for me.

The building-wide thermostat is supposed to be locked at 70. Only the university's custodial staff can change it from their office. That said, I don't believe the reading is actually accurate. It's a pretty old analog system, like from the 90s at least. I took my own thermometer in once and the real temp is more like 76 in my south facing lab when it is hot outside.

6. Chukar

Chukar Squib

The longer 'stay tucked' type of undershirt will prevent that annoying feeling of it bunching around your waist. While I prefer 100% cotton shirts from CK, I think some athletic gear companies make the type you might be looking for.

Source: Travel a lot for work, have to wear a sport coat/long sleeved shirt even if it's boiling.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

If I have to wear an undershirt, I actually usually tuck it into my drawers. Works well for me at least, and catches the inevitable bead of sweat that would otherwise slide down into your crack.

8. CareOtters

CareOtters Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I usually listen to Spotify during my 90 minute walk to/from work. The LinkedIn advert on it makes me want to hang myself, and I refuse to be bullied into purchasing premium by an irritating ad

Does anyone have suggestions for decent alternatives?

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Use an adblocker? Don't think there are many adfree alts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Not really an alternative but if you get a family/couple/etc discount you can get it for much cheaper. I play £3 a month for Spotify because a family deal was like 6 for £15.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Does anyone do Inline Skating?

I'm going to try and get back into it (by which I mean that when I was 15-25 or so I had a cheap pair of skates that I clocked a few hundred miles on) and I want to get a nicer pair.

A few things I'm interested in:
    1. Speed - I'm not going to be racing but there are checkpoints (with things like bathrooms and vending machines) on the trail I'll be on and going faster will mean I can get to them and back without having to turn around midway if I'm in a hurry. Besides, going fast is fun and lets the skates double for getting around easier.
    2. Ability to stand up straight without pain - I bought a nice pair of K2's about three years ago and immediately returned them because when I stood straight up they murdered my calves.
    3. Basic maneuverability - In case I ever use them downtown, but primary use will be for fairly straight runs on paved (though sometimes rough) roads.
    My understanding is that (1) bigger wheels will give me more speed, (2) a hard boot will be more comfortable and dig into my calves LESS than a soft boot, at least according to the last person I asked, and (3) a 3-wheel set up will add a touch of maneuverability compared to 4-wheels, especially as I am looking at larger wheels.

But really I have no idea WTF I'm doing. I am fairly confident of my ability to balance and skate on larger wheels just from experience, but that doesn't mean that I would have good form doing it. And that's the sort of thing that eventually starts to matter as you improve.

I found a new pair of Powerslide Imperial Mega Cruisers 125mm for about $160 which is a good price, and leaves me room to purchase some cheap protective gear without hitting the $200 mark. These have everything that I think I'm looking for in them.

But I'm well aware I don't actually know jack shit and I'm basing this entire purchase off of reading I've done online in the last 48 hours and memories of skating 15 years ago (plus briefly 3 years ago, when I returned the last pair I bought).

And no - there's nowhere in town to try anything on except Wal-Mart, and I want to invest in a decent enough pair that I'll actually enjoy using them.

Any experts here? Cuz at this point I'm ready to throw out everything I read and get something cheaper (though still a quality brand).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Ankan

Ankan Groundskeeper

I'm far from an expert, but I've been doing some casual skating during summers for ~10 years.

I personally prefer four wheels over three. I value the stability from four wheels more than the flexibility you gain from three wheels, I feel much more safe at high speeds. It's also important to mind the wheel-size, expect to eventually replace them, I've done it several times for a single pair of inlines.

Expect some pain in the beginning and take it easy, you will adapt to the tension and your inlines will adapt to you.

Feel free to PM me (Or ask on IRC) if you have any questions.

13. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Used to be a competitive speedskater on ice, so during the summers we did a whole lot of inline skating.

I used to be on something like this so I think you made the right choice in going for ankle-support, even though that will slow you down a bit since you can't do the same length in your strokes. A harder shoe should mean more reliable support and probably less hurt in the long run as you become accustomed.

The question isn't really 3 or 4 wheels, it's short or long wheelbase. Quite a few pros are now racing 3 wheel, but really large and spaced far apart. Less wheels = less mechanical friction so that's good.
    Really, it probably comes down to where you're going to be skating. Nice paths? Go with the longer wheelbase. Areas with downhills, roadfurniture etc? Perhaps the shorter wheelbase will be better until you get more comfortable.

Most important thing: Maintain your bearings! Oil those fuckers up and you'll be going noticeably faster in every situation. Might even be good to take some extra bearings with you if you're going on a longer trip, so that you can replace ones that got sand in them (depends a bit on how your wheels look).

Also, flip your wheels around every once in a while. I mostly skated on track where you only turn to the left, so normally your wheels would wear out very quickly on one side so we flipped them every day. For more general usage I would try to flip them once in a while since you will be stressing the inside more then the outside.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

@Stenstyren Wow great info, thanks! It's good to have confirmation of all the stuff I was reading online from someone who actually knows.

I ended up going with these:
    https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/123-22661.htm

I was trying to get a jack-of-all-trades skate to relearn how to skate. I'm excited for this one. The hockey boot should be pretty stuff, the larger wheels should help get up to speed if I am on a bike trail for miles, and the short wheel base will hopefully let me turn easier if I'm riding around campus.

If I end up loving it and wanting to focus on one type of skating I figure I can get a new pair next summer that's geared towards speed or control or even aggressive skating if I lose my mind and want to try that (doubtful).

Thanks again for the great write up.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Debating getting my TESOL and second bachelors in a foreign language.

For those who have taught overseas, any thoughts/advice/suggestions?

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

Get a TESOL that requires teaching experience. I did mine through get academy in Austria and I had to teach forty hours a week for over 13 weeks. It opens far more doors than a TESOL that you barely teach at all.

Knowing a foreign language doesn't help too much, as most programs don't want you speaking the language to the students. Full immersion, yo. But it can't hurt, as knowing a second language is always helpful. What language are you thinking of? Asia is where the money is (mostly China), but Spanish is the most useful. Europe is almost impossible to teach in without an EU citizenship, as they won't sponsor you.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Good info.

My university has degrees in Chinese, German, French, Spanish and Arabic (farsi). Leaning towards Chinese or French.

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

Chinese is less useful than one would think. First off, Mandarin and Cantonese are two separate languages. This already makes a large portion of China less accessible. THEN, what China likes to hide, is that 90% of the country who 'speaks' Mandarin, have such strong accents, it's like... Drunken Irish vs American English. They will understand you, but you won't understand them. I would suggest French over Chinese, far more countries use it.

19. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

For globalism, Arabic or French should do it (not farsi).

20. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arabic...is not Farsi?

Or German, the other most useful second language for business.