1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah...it's weird. Has to do with the military base nearby. They gave some funding for the university to have the arabic program but required the program also have a farsi track. Which is kinda weird but whatever.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I already have some French under my belt so was heavily leaning that way anyways, but Chinese sounds fun...but good information on the whole accents.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anybody know of a free online poll maker that allows multiple answers but limits the number of answers to like 3 or 4? All of the ones I've found so far let a responder select as many answers as they want if you enable multiple choice.

So something like "What are your favorite colors? You may select up to 3 of the following 10 options." And then it hard caps them at 3 checkboxes.

3. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I thought surveymonkey had something like that, but it's been quite a while since I last did anything with that, so I could be wrong.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    It say it does, and I've followed the prompts to do it, but the option to set limits doesn't show up when you go to allow multiple answers.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

A workaround: ask 3 or 4 questions
    " 1. Of the above answer choices, what is your first choice.
    2. Of the above answer choices, what is your second choice?"
    And so on.

6. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Google Forms does this. The relevant question type is "Checkboxes", then click on the three dots next to the "Required" button and select "Response Validation". It will allow you to specify min, max or exact number of answers as well as a custom error message.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Thanks man. Saved me.

8. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can anyone in the UK recommend a men's hair stylist in London? I'm there this weekend on business but I've got a couple hours to spare. I've had the same generic haircut for as long as I can remember and my policy for my beard is to let it grow for a month then shave it all off. I'm not really sure what I want either, hence the need for a stylist who can actually recommend different styles instead of a barber who would just do what I want.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    My S7 finally crapped out on me yesterday. Got the multicolored screen of death and it is now stuck in an eternal bootloop. I'm hesitant about sticking with Samsung for a replacement. Just been one bad experience after the other. Any recs besides iphone (I deeply despise apple products, iOS in particular).

10. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've got a pixel 3 that I like quite a bit. Not sure how you feel about Google's ever-growing intrusion into everyday life, but this is a quality phone I've never had any issues with.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Pixel 3, any other Samsung device ( they have decent flagship and midrange models) the S10 has a bunch of weird camera shit that I don't like but I think the pixel has spoiled me. I currently have a Pixel 3XL and its by far my favorite phone. I've used the S10. Its alright. Note 10 def has a lot of hardware to it, but the price you pay and Touch UI is garbage af imo so its a good phone if you flash it with a stock ROM. LG V30 is stil a good phone.

Budget wise. The 1+7 is a great phone. Don't waste your money on anything Huawei because of all the bullshit surrounding it right now.

I don't much about midrange models if I'm totally honest. I see one every once in a while that I really like that and will get it just to tinker. Samsung has really cornered the market on these. the J series. The A series. Both great phone lines with flagship qualities.

12. Nazgus

Nazgus Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

I have a OnePlus 6T right now and it's one of the best phones I've ever owned. Only the Pixel 3 compares and the 6T is significantly cheaper.

13. Ankan

Ankan Groundskeeper

I've got a 7Pro right now, the phone is amazing.

14. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

Motorola Moto X4 has been an unending series of weird bugs and service drops, and the camera's a bit shite. I'm going to ride this phone into the ground, and then never buy another Motorola product... so in short, I'd recommend avoiding them.

15. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on the S10 these days and it's VERY good. S9 was good, too, and probably cheaper.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    If someone were inclined to try a second foreign language, what makes sense now and will probably still make sense in 5, 10 years? I'm hearing Spanish is the way to go.

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Spanish gets you a pretty significant part of the globe, German works better right next to home. Both probably make sense in a European context.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    I’ll echo Oment here.

Spanish works well on a global scale, and I believe it’s only a reasonably small step over to Portuguese.

German gets you my lot, the Austrians as well as parts of Switzerland, but is also a right bench to learn (or so I hear from my university friends who came from abroad and tried to learn it).

I guess Chinese and Japanese are always sound options as well, but I have no personal experience with that.

Try Dutch if you want to sound like a drunk German.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Thanks for the advice @Oment and @Nevermind. That's pretty much what I was thinking --just looking for external confirmation, I guess.

And yes, in my experience German is a bitch and a half to learn, which is why I never touched it again after middle school. I'll give Spanish a go with Duolingo and see where that takes me.

20. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really? I'm nowhere near fluent but one of our suppliers at work is a German based company but just by osmosis I've managed to pick up enough phrases to have a rough idea of what a conversation is about. Of course, I can't say more than a handful of butchered phrases myself (My name, ask how someone is and how to ask for an RMA).

But I always thought German was one of the easier European languages, especially in comparison to something like French?