1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rome 2 TW

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Invictus, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

In September 3 Rome 2 is finally avaible to play. This is the game I've been looking forward since the beginning of the year. No only Classic Rome age is one of my favorites, the whole game seems amazing. I am a huge TW fan, I bought all games from Rome to Shogun 2, except Napoleon and Shogun 2 expansions, and I gotta say the combat and culture overhaul seems awesome.

Also, it seems we're finally gettin some majo differences between factions and units, something that although mostly historically correct, really annoyed me in both Empire and Shogun 2. I've already bought the games, and so I got the Greek States Pack.

The following Factions have been confirmed as free DLC:
    Pontus (avaible already in September 3)
    Seleucid Empire (avaible around october)

The Greek States Pack if pre-ordered, contains:
    Sparta
    Athens
    Epirus

And there will be the Nomads Factions Pack, a paid DLC, also for october:
    Scythians
    Roxolani
    Massagetae

Plus the 8 factions avaible in-game. Rome, Macedonia, Egypt, Iceni, Averni, Parthia, Carthage, Suebi.

So, what do you guys think/feel about it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I don't like the grand strategy aspect of Total War games. Paradox Interactive games are much better for that. But I do love Total War tactical battles, especially with mods installed to add greater historical accuracy.

If someone makes a mod covering the wars of the Diadochi and the Roman conquest of Italy up until the end of the Hellenistic period and beginning of the Roman Empire, then I will definitely buy the game.

3. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

"Wait and see" about covers my thoughts.

Liked Shogun 2 (particularly the Fall of the Samurai scenario), but prior to that I hadn't been impressed at all by a TW game in a long time.

Also the original Rome, while generally fun, had a fuckton of issues. I wonder how much TCA learned from the first go-round in the Classical Era.

4. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

I can't wait for the game to be released, I've been looking forward to it since seeing some of the amazing trailers like the Carthage video.

I started playing TW on the original Rome and then eventually moved to Medieval 2 with the LotR Third Age mod which is an amazing game. If anyone hasn't tried playing TW before, I'd suggest giving either of these a try. During Steam and Amazon sales, Medieval 2 is usually about $7 and Rome is about $2.50.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

There is one mod for the first Rome which does increase the historical accuracy and where the wars between the Diadochi play a major part.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?207235-EB-1-2-Released!

And my hope for Rome 2 is that it copies some things of this mod(more mercenaries and some Area of Recruitment units) and mixes them with an improved AI (I am sick of the endless money cheating of the AI in both Rome and Empire).

6. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

I was wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to buying from Steam instead of purchasing a physical copy? I know that there is some free DLC for Total War Rome 2, but I'm unsure of whether that is for any pre-order or just purchasing form Steam.

7. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

The only mod you need for Rome TW is Roma Surrectum
    That shit is massive and completely awesome :D

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I cannot beggin to describe how hyped I am over this. This is what I have been waiting for for years now.

The fact that I need to pre-order the game to get the Greek City States gets a big "NOOOOOOOOO".

9. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Motherfucking Hannibal and ELEPHANTS.

Rome is going down.

/Carthage

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Awesome fellow fans here. To me mods are a Huge part of Total War games, just like it's a huge part of Skyrim. One does not enjoy a TW withou some overhauls. Really, if you had M2 and didn't play both Stainless Steel and Third Age, I pity you. Same with Rome Total Realism and Barbarorum. Empire and Shogun 2 mods are also excellent, but less so in visuals and more in the AI part, so it's very personal which one you prefer.

But I doubt even in Rome 2 I will see a mod that impressed as much as Third Age, even Skyrim mods had the same effect on me. After seeing and playing that mod, I realised how awesome amateur (in the non paying sense) could be.

Also, although I loved to play with the Greeks, I'm really looking forward to the Nomad Culture Pack more, Scythia is awesome in too many ways. Amazonian-like units!

Which faction will you guys start with? I'm probably starting with Rome and then Parthia or Carthage.

11. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I remember buying RTW when I was a young teen and not playing it much because my computer at the time barely ran it and the FPS was maybe 15 tops just moving units around which was disheartening given how excited I was with a keen interest in Roman history.

As such I never picked it up again as affording PC upgrades were few & far between - Got RTW2 pre-loaded and all ready to go, even thoguh I think I'll be lucky to get it running on medium detail and I fully expect FPS drops in fights, but eh, sacrifices.

Honestly just excited to get my hands on this and play it as much as I have been Civ V lately despite them being completely different games, though not too sure how/what I'll do regarding the modding scene - it certainly helps, but I'll probably play through the Prologue and maybe a campaign first just to get accustomed to everything.

As for who I'll be playing first, it's a tough call between Rome, Sparta or Athens given my pre-order on Steam. Military domination or an economic and trade based path open up with those 3 in particular, and I fully expect to play all of the factions available at one point or another.

Edit; Typo's, 40 hours without sleep is a bad idea.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  12. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

The Macedonians are superior to all of your chump cultures. They're like Greeks, but better in every conceivable way. The last time a Macedonian king had big ambitions, his armies reached India, and were undefeated in countless battles. Next time, the Atlantic coast and everything in-between. :awesome

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Insert mandatory "Macedonians are Greeks" here.

Why'd they have to make Sparta and Athens pre-order only, and end the deadline in two fucking days. I'm so sad right now.

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Preordered this.

Carthage, Sparta and one of the northern barbarian tribes mostly interest me this time, as I've played the old one with Rome far too much.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Something that's pretty awesome in this game is that the paid DLC will be worth the money you paid, unlike Empirewhere you paid to use 6 new units, with a 1 unit cap. Fuck that.malso, I prefer DLC that expands the original game, not expansions,mso Shogun disappointed me a bit, until we got Ikko Ikki and the Otomo, a bit overpriced though.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Yeah, but paying for DLC that, in older generations of TW games, would have been part of the vanilla game - that's kind of annoying.

17. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Pre-ordered and pre-loaded. Can't wait for Tuesday.

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What is the price?

19. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Currently £29.99 on Steam, 33% off so reduced from £44.99 - Or your regional equivalent, give or take conversion screwing.

That of course includes the Greek States DLC pack which I'm fairly certain is free later after release, or there's certainly one piece of planned free DLC with 3 other factions.

20. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

55€ Or do you mean the the DLCs? No price for them yet but probably something between 5-10€

And for factions... Well I will probably start with Rome to get a feel for the game. After that some of the eastern Factions.. Pontus, Seleucid or maybe Macedonia trying to recreate Alexander^^ because from what I gather the map is massively expanded east compared to Rome 1.