1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting a G3

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KGB, Mar 8, 2015.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

My old phone finally crapped out. Decided to get a G3 as it was on a reasonable sale at the moment and it's a decently popular phone.

Problem arose from me letting it update the second I took it out of the box. It updated to Lollipop, which in it self is fine, but it seemingly disabled all the common rooting methods.

I've tried using Stump and PurpleDragon. Stump straight up says that it's exploit has been patched and the PurpleDragon tries to temp root only for the phone to show a usb connector crossed out and the phone reboots.

The version is 5.0 and Software version is v20h-EUR-XX. Anyone have any experience with rooting this? Or can I roll back to 4.4 root and move to a Rom somehow?

Because right now my phone has mcafee on it and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Does SuperSU not work on G3?

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Isn't SuperSU just the app that manages the previsions after the phone is rooted?

I had it installed (out-download after the nfc account transfer), but it didn't do anything. I assumed it was because I hadn't rooted.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Oh, it is. Woops.

5. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

It might be out of date since you have lollipop, but XDA may have something.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3#root

tl;dr try ioroot and/or towelroot.

I have a G3 as well with Lollipop, so this is of interest to me as well. Let me know if you find something that works! (I haven't bothered trying to root yet...)

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tried ages ago, no dice. I just live with it now. No real bloatware, so I'm not too fussed.

I love the phone, but it's not friendly to modders.

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Nah Io and towel don't work either.

There are ways to downgrade and than root+rom, but with 5.1 coming soon I'm going to wait till roms based on that come out.

Don't really know what LG is thinking. The phone is great and cheap. They could rake it in as the go to tinkerers phone if they just left it unlocked. Right now XDA is talking about them messing with the bootloader to lock out custom recoveries.