1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete RuneMaster by Tigerman - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Skeletaure, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: RuneMaster
    Author: Tigerman
    Rating: M
    Category: Independent Harry
    Summary: In third year, Harry decided to quit Divination, following Hermione. Having to take a substitute course, he end up choosing Ancient Runes and discover himself quite gifted. Smarter Harry. Slightly manipulative. Rated M for later subjects and language.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5077573/1/RuneMaster

Fairly good, with a few annoying moments (such as Ron's superchess ability that somehow makes him cleverer in chapter 9). Not an amazing fic, but it keeps you entertained and has a good update rate, and I'm sure some here will appreciate it.

3/5 (and before someone starts whining, yes you can recommend fics that you think are 3/5 quality, 3/5 meaning "average").

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Ouch. And that's chapter 1.

Runes über alles. Harry's superpowers extend to being able to stare down dragons and brew potions better than Snape. I swear, if he turns into a mime in one of the later chapters, I'm going to have to throw down the gloves and punch the author in the eye. That'd be just too much power for anyone to handle.

3. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

I tried to get into it, but his instinctive understanding of runes after half an hour is very off-putting. Plus, the author's tendency to make words looooooooooooooooooong is just dumb. It could have been interesting, but it's not. I give it a 2/5, just because I like the idea of runes.

4. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

What are you talking about? The longest word I noticed was infiltrate... =/

Anyway, a super!Harry with decent writing and flow, nice light reading. 3/5

5. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've been following this story for some time now and I definitely agree on a 3/5. It would have been more if the author didn't draw out words. I even pm'ed him about the issue and while I think he understood what I meant, he didn't really seem to care because he keeps doing it.

The author also have a bad case of misspelling words, at least in the early chapters, but I found out he was French-Canadian so I suppose that's understandable now. I think he got himself a beta too.

I like the idea of using runes. Often I read those Indy!Harry fics where the author briefly mentions Harry learning runes and arithmancy, but the author never goes into detail about the subjects nor why Harry needs or for that matter, wants to learn them.

6. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I couldn't really get into it, although I do like the idea of runes playing a bigger part in stories.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I had the idea to write a Mime!Harry fic once.. >.>

8. desiking75

desiking75 Squib

I enjoyed some parts, but others were really, for lack of a better word, irritating (annoying seems a bit harsh). The part I really didn't like was how rational and un-naturally mature Harry was, it just didn't fit and ticked me off slightly. Other than that, the story developed quite well.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I can see why. Mimes > ninjas.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I care very little about anything in fics but my enjoyment in reading them, and I highly enjoyed reading this one. Yes, it is super powered, yes, it is not realistic, but overall, it is still written in a way that is highly enjoyable to read, despite little bits that just make you cringe. (such as what Perspicacity pointed out in the first post)

This gets a 4.5/5 from me.

Edit: As a comment for long words, care to give an example? I really didn't notice any at all. :/

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

:confused:

Am I missing something here? I still have no idea what you're talking about.

12. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I've thought about posting it here, but it was IMO not good enough for the library thus posted it in the almost recommended thread.

Sent a list of those loooong words to the author in hope he corrects them - okay, seems DLP does that so can't post it but there's about one or two per chapter.

Okay, had to edit this post at least 5 times... my copy paste or edit post is broken :(

13. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I liked it. Lately few stories have been able to keep my attention. This one managed it, and I enjoyed reading it.

4/5

14. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The dialogue sucks, the mechanics sucks, the execution sucks... The novelty of the idea of using runes is completely wasted on this story. What a shame. 1/5

Edit:

15. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Very boring. I'd give this a 1/5. I couldn't read it without skipping a lot.

16. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

As I said in the Almost Recommended thread, I both like and don't like and it's certainly not good enough for the library. It has several things that annoy me but yet I usually find it enjoyable enough to read. I give 2.5/5 but I'll put it at an even 3 in this thread, just because I'm in a good mood.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, the first few sentences didn't impress me, but I was impressed with the initial trio dynamic. Hermione storming off, Harry deciding that sounds like a good idea, and Ron just following after them for no reason other than that's what they did. It's just a pity that the writing itself isn't better as concerns execution, grammar, dialogue, and characterization (wasn't too much OC, just a few little things that seem to come out of nowhere). Not what I would call awful though.

Harry's affinity for Runes is interesting, but poorly done. The first time Hermione gives him an introduction to the subject he is already making connections because of a "book he read once" about Vikings or something. Then when they are reviewing later (I think near the end of at least a few weeks) Harry demonstrates his ability to perfectly recall everything about every Rune he's ever been exposed to. It's a bit much. Oh, and when he starts taking the class he turns out to be exceptional at drawing runes on his first try, I think his first attempt at drawing a rune was called more "elegant" than the professors, and he didn't even have to use a ruler!

When I got to the second chapter I realized I was sort of bored so I started skimming. Author has some good ideas, but could benefit from something like the "work by author" forum you guys have here to make it more interesting to read.

I skimmed through the 5th chapter before stopping. My rating here is a 2.5/5. It has good ideas, and some good parts, but it's just too hard to read and stay interested for me. It is, however, better than a lot of things I would rate at a 2/5, so for purposes of the thread rating I'll give it a 3/5 for now. If I go back and finish it and feel it should be a 2, I'll change it.

Cheers

18. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

I tried reading that a few times. Hell, i think i may even be up to date on it.

The problem is that Harry is so super he is bland (nothing else, no hint of a personality) in this fic, and other characters are there just to show how much cleverer than them he is.

It's sad, as it has some good ideas. It just has more wank than plot or characterization. It's like a fic-long diagon alley shopping trip. After a while, you yawn.

19. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Great idea. (Any rune master story is a great idea to me :) ) Poor execution, poor dialogue and it gets really annoying when the author makes Harry suddenly wise and love giving long winded speeches over the smallest of things.

Rating: 2.5/5
    Only because I like stories with runes.

20. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

My beef is the same as Darey, this author has no real idea on how to execute a great idea. Instead, they use poor dialogue and so many plot bunnies, rushed writing, the ideas executed feel rush and it all feels over-all a classic fail.

2.5/5 cause I liked it at the start, felt ZOMG awesom story!! Then yer, it turned shit.