1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Please be courteous to staff and post NEW threads for NEW Issues, instead of posting them in threads that are not related to said issue.

Russian Ambassador to Ankara Assassinated

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The Iron Rose, Dec 19, 2016.

1. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38369962

Not much more to say right now. The shooter, Mert Altintas, is a member of the Ankara Police's special forces and was part of the ambassador's security detail.

[​IMG]

There's video of the shooting playing all over CNN. If you really want to see it, I have a link.

So fair warning, I post that because of what the assassin shouted, but straight up this is someone getting murdered. So don't watch if that's not something you want to see.

The gunman shouted about revenge for Aleppo, and Ankara is already putting out a statement that he is a radical Islamist. Which is perfectly plausible, seeing as he was indeed shouting God is Great in the video above. Specifically, "Allahu Akbar. Don't forget Aleppo. Don't forget Syria" and on and on in that vein.

Statement from Russian Embassy says that Islamic Extremists are responsible. Russian state media is saying that three others were wounded, though that's always questionable.

On a more speculative note, I have to admit that I'm surprised that the ambassador's security detail was Turkish, not Russian.

and wow, this guy is so fired.

edit: also dead, most likely

http://i.imgur.com/whn6DpB.png

Same warning applies.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Host nations are generally responsible for the security of foreign diplomats.

Where'd you see the identity of the shooter from? I was watching the news earlier and that didn't come up.

3. The Iron Rose

Generally, yes. After the downing of the Russian jet though, I would've expected some change. No matter.

Turkish media has it, so does Charlie Lister.

4. gorlosh

gorlosh DA Member

5. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

This is very bad, Russian can and will attacked someone for this, and if it is Turkey then it is time to move away from Europe

6. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I wouldn't necessarily say that as the phrase is a common saying for many muslims, so it doesn't imply he committed the crime because he was an Islamic extremist rather than someone who was muslim. It's notable though that Aleppo was one of the prime locations of the USA backed rebels, the so called pro-democracy ones, and Turkey's police and military historically have been secular. Although as we've seen in the attack in Miami some extremists aren't actually politically knowledgeable given that individual was saying he was aligned with various Islamic extremist groups who hated one another.

I would also take a grain of salt with Turkey's official statements given I've already seen things mentioning him being aligned with Gulen, which is Erdogan's go to scapegoat for quite literally any problem that faces him.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Attacks in Zurich and Berlin too, it seems. What a nice day 2016. Just winning.

8. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

What are you on about? Russia will not attack Turkey... The reason why they won't is exactly because Europe would be dragged into it.

If a war between Turkey and Russia would have such a profound effect that you'd have to move away from Europe, it would most definitely be a nuclear war, and then you wouldn't be safe anywhere, anyway.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Russia is going to hold this in reserve and use it as a chip they can cash in when they decide to have some European border aggression during the Trump presidency. Turkey is going to continue to deflect toward their designated scapegoat and see if they can pressure the u.s. into releasing him into their custody.

In related unrelated news, Finland Norway Sweden Poland and what's left of the Ukraine must feel spectacular right now.

10. Torll

Torll Squib

High Score:
    No doubt this will strain relations between Turkey and Russia though probably not to the extent of the freeze in relations after the shooting down of the Russian fighter last year. Although Erdogan has decreased his anti-Russian rhetoric, the animosity still exists between Turkey and Russia. With the fall of Aleppo to the Russian-backed Assad regime, Turkey will no doubt hold a grudge towards Russia for its role in further destabilizing the region.

11. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

I'm probably missing something, but what do you mean with this?

12. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Ironic, considerisng the guy was a cop. There's a good chance he was pro-Edrogan.

13. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    He means what he said:

Russia will keep this as a high card and play it when they need to tell Turkey something along the lines of 'You have influence in Europe, you owe us a solid, so get them to back down from opposing [this thing we are doing].'

14. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

Yeah, I just have a pretty hard time thinking Russia would actually move against any of the Nordic countries. Too small Russian minorities and too stable political systems to actually do what they are doing at Ukraine. So wouldn't really group us in the same worried group as Ukraine. Besides Finns at least are always more than a little wary about Russia, what with us still having mandatory military service and stuff due to having some pretty bloody history...

15. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    It's not that they might invade you. Maybe it's some smaller provocation, like the time in 2015 when they abducted an Estonian intelligence officer, or maybe those times when they conducted cyber attacks on Georgia, Estonia, and Ukraine, or something equally nefarious but not outright aggression.

Your country's government certainly seems to not discount the possibility, seeing as how they're seeking a mutual defense agreement with the US. Remember, you're not in NATO.

16. The Iron Rose

17. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

Wow, 2016 seems to pull out all the stops towards the end.

18. Erandil

Erandil Headmaster

Eh, I doubt that an accident like this does actually give Russia that much political power/ability to pressure Turkey because it I find it very hard to stick the whole responsibility of the shooting on Turkey/Erdogan.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Utility isn't just in being able to pressure Turkey (relatively low), but also in being able to pressure Turkey's allies over border aggressions or other geopolitical objectives. As for being able to plausibly pin it on Erdogan, all they need is a fig leaf (it was your diplomatic security who killed him) and they're in business.

20. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

History showed us already that small action like this can lead to war. Why is that you are sure that there wouldn't be a war between Russia and Turkey. Cuz last few years showed anything but that (both countries are willing to use force).

I think most ppl forget that wars do happen and they happen in Europe. In 1914 it was started by terrorist act. And in late 30' there was this one British Idiot that was like "we can talked this out bro" I am sorry to say that was not a good idea.

At the moment this act of terror is tragedy, but it can change and I do not like how it can change. Looking at history and that is not a far history (last 100 years or so) has me worried. We should get ready for war or it we will repeat the story that Europe knows very well.

PS. sorry for my poor English
    "