1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY Volume 3

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Kind of weird that we have multiple fanfiction threads about RWBY, but no discussion threads.

The first episode was released to subscribers today and will be released to everyone tomorrow at 10AM CST. http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-season-3-chapter-1

Definitely an interesting start to the season, although I hope it's not "Obligatory Tournament Arc" for all 12 episodes.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Episode is now online, was really fun, I loved it.

The fights were as awesome as ever, we got more interaction with Team JNPR and some more tidbits on Ren and Nora, in that Ren talked more in this one scene then in the last two seasons combined. We also saw how dangerous Weiss can be with her Semblance (as well as the trouble brewing with her father).

Yang apparently is keeping her Semblance a secret for now, or maybe she just didn't feel the need to use it.

Brave decision to invest all that technology and dust into a flying, adaptable pokemon arena, but honestly, would do the same if I could.

So yeah, overall, loved it. Hopefully all episodes are around 17 mins.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A lot of people are bitching about it, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of JNPR in this one. It was an exciting opening; I just hope that we don't have an entire season of one episode=one tournament match with little else. But I have faith in Cinder to ruin things for everyone.

4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

My biggest gripe with RWBY is that everytime I watch it I wish it could have a higher production value. Could you imagine how great this show would look with a proper budget? And VAs? Just imagining Cinder voiced by Grey DeLisle give me shivers.

But yeah, seasons off to a great start. Glad to see Jaune is still vomit boy. Also it looks like Dust isn't running out anytime too soon judging by the giant crystals of it littering the arena. Sorry, TGWP. A couple of awkward cuts in the fight, most noticeably during Ruby's lines.

5. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, a bit odd how many dust crystals are there, but then again, everything about this tournament seems wasteful, so, whatever.

Maybe they get away with it by not having all that many humans/faunus in total? Have more resources to spare since less people are around using them up and they can afford going all out in their yearly tournament?

I am looking forward to more JNPR, as long as the focus is not entirely on Jaune. I don't dislike him but he is one of the less interesting characters, hopefully all of JNPR will get some focus.

As a full blown show with serious backing, it would be amazing but I love it regardless and it has a lot of charm. The VA are a bit hit and miss, but thank god, no one is as bad as the Adam from the Black trailer. You can rejoice on that part, though, the japanese dub seems to have an allstar cast, so, looking forward to that. I just feels right.

Anyone know when that comes out?

6. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

The resources that they put into the tournament are ridiculous, but I think that actually makes it more realistic. The tournament is this world's super bowl or world cup. If the NFL had the tech to make a giant floating arena with customizable landscape, they definitely would. I bet the tickets are a bajillion schmeckles or whatever their currency is. You probably see a lot of Schnee commercials if you watch it on your holovision too.

Overall, it looks good. To be honest I think I'm more interested in watching the tournament, seeing other peoples weapons and semblances, than seeing what's going on with cinder.

7. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

While I agree with you the episode was the best looking by far. If you go back and watch the first season you will see what I mean. No more black background actors, no more poorly drawn plates, ect.

8. Heleor

They've gotten a lot better at animating, and for the places where they have to cut corners due to budget, they've gotten better at hiding it. (Taiyang is not fully modeled even though he's in the first scene, but it's much less noticeable than the faceless ghosts in season 1.)

Voice actor-wise, supposedly they're getting bigger names in the English version as well. Vic Mignogna (Qrow) is a name I recognize even though I don't watch many dubs. I think the new Mercury VA is pretty known too?

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The fights didn't flow as smoothly as they have in the past... Or maybe that was just me thinking so. Weiss seems to have gotten a huuuuge power-up. Judging by the way Ruby pointed out her dad was going to go take on missions, that'll probably relevant somehow. Hopefully he doesn't croak.

10. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Weiss is still best waifu. But as usual Cinder and Pyrhha make me feel funny in the pants. Kek.

All joking aside, while it falls into the anime tropes more and more, everything I find enjoyable about this is still enjoyable.

The fights seem more awkward at places - it's probably because it's less frames of people fighting each other and more frames of one person doing something and the other person reacting. That makes it feel less dynamic I think.

11. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'd be happier if they cut out all the stupid anime tropes. Subtlety ftw.

12. Ig810

Ig810 Squib

I'm pretty excited about the fact that Nora and Ren seem to be getting some more dialogue. Finally the two mysteries of team JNPR have a voice.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TIL Monty's brother is voicing Ren now. That's a really touching tribute.

14. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Once again the background details get far more complex as the seasons progress. This season's candidates: facial expressions, weapon models, minor character models. Characters who were normally very taciturn (Blake, Ren) get more lines and personality. Opening seems to suggest a possible mass battle in the future. The animation of faces during dialogue seems far more fluid, finally giving me the impression that other people have gotten (RWBY is an anime, where's the original dub?).

The fights don't seem quite as cut-and-polished as previous seasons, inevitable considering the loss of Monty Oum as main fight coordinator (the martial artist's feet not lining up with the ground when stopping the boulder). The background 2d character models clash when not in a 2d setting (Ruby's father; guess we're not seeing him as a character this season).

Overall, too early to tell how it will shape up.

15. mort

mort Groundskeeper

Any idea what the update schedule is?

16. Nemrut

High Score:
    Weekly, I think. Every Saturday morning for sponsors, Sunday morning for everyone else on their website.

Not sure which weeks are without any episodes.

17. Heleor

Weekly, but there is a two-week gap after episode 2.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Finally got around to watching it. Interesting start, and I'm actually getting excited for this tournament. Lot of epic characters involved.

Also liking how many more elements are likely being brought in this season. Winter Schnee appears in the OP, the phone call from Weiss' father was the first we've sort of scene of him in the series, there's Taiyang appearing for the first time (somewhat), that photo of Taiyang/Raven/Qrow/Summer in the OP and so on. Really interested to learn more about all of them.

Wasn't a fan of the fight scenes at all though. I think the loss of Monty is really apparent. They don't have that fluidity and fast pace that the previous RWBY fights had. There's too many stops and starts, characters 'waiting their turn' and it just feels sort of jittery, slow and awkward. Really just goes to Monty's credit on how unique his style was...

Loved that scene of Neo revealing herself to the audience though (with that change of eye colour).

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Nora's Semblance was revealed although I found it astoundingly weird that the two commentating professors openly discussed it during the match. Seems unfair but I guess the mentality is that Grimm are the true opponent and not the other huntsmen and huntresses in training and that this is all in good fun.

Nora is awesome, though.

I do wonder if Jaune did improve or if Pyrrha was manipulating him and the enemies the whole fight, guiding their attacks to Jaune's shield. Would be pretty amazing if she did and it came out later. That whole fight, with the banter and all, was fun.

We saw more of Qrow and wonder if today is a special occasion to become drunk, in order to prepare meeting Winter (whom Weiss seems to love fiercely, so, really curious how that family dynamic is) or if he is one all the time.

The SSSN fight was rather meh. It was fun, and I adored Team NDGO but the fight was rather lackluster and had a contrived win, really, with the enemies standing still, waiting for Sun and Nepture to attack. Not a deserved win. The swashbuckling was entertaining though.

The fanboys and fangirls cheering SSSN and Sun's abs was pretty fun though.

Decent episode, although I wish we had learned Neptune's Semblance at least, or was that the electro attack?

20. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

It's interesting to observe JNPR's team dynamic - especially when compared RWBY. Whereas Ruby takes a more democratic approach to leadership, allowing her team to have a lot of control on how they fight. They have a lot of team work, yes, but there are very few times where Ruby shouts out an order.

Meanwhile, Jaune clearly acts as the leader and tactician of his team - he's not as competent as Ruby in a combat situation, but he issued orders throughout the entirety of the battle. Pyrrah even defers to him at one point. Of course, his leadership falls flat in the end, but it's... interesting to note the differences. I get the feeling that Ruby's leadership style might come back to bite her in the near future.