1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Searching for the name of a book

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Alive and Free, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Like the title says, I'm searching for the name of a book.

It's hardboiled crime fiction and the main character is a private detective. He's a drug user and alcoholic and a Vietnam veteran. The depictions of his drug use and alcoholism were really accurate because the author had a history of drug abuse and alcoholism. He played American football for the US Army and was kicked out after he accidentally killed a Vietnamese family during his tour of Vietnam. I think it's set in Montana but I can't be sure.

I'm pretty sure it's written in the first person and that the character's name is Sugrah or Shugra or something similar. The book I'm looking for is, I think, called The ??? Duck and I know that it's not the only novel to feature this character.

I know that there's not much to go on but I'm hoping that someone knows the book I'm searching for.

Cheers

Alive and Free

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Found it on Google. I don't know what search terms you were using, but 'private detective vietnam montana duck' will give you the author's Wikipedia page as the first result. Apparently the dude was a very big deal in the crime fiction genre.

Character: C.W. Sughrue
    Author: James Arthur Crumley
    Title: The Mexican Tree Duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Crumley

3. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Thanks.

Not very good ones.