1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Semper Victoria by Katkiller-V - [M] - Avatar (Movie)

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by ReverseSide, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Title: Semper Victoria
    Author: Katkiller-V
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-fi
    Fandom: Avatar
    Pairing: None.
    Summary: Humanity is on the brink of self-destruction, and unobtanium may be only hope for our species. A story where Pandora is not an Eden, and the shades of white and black have been washed into a sea of gray.
    Link: FFN

Better Synopsis: This is an incredibly realistic look at what may occur after the events of the movie. This fic starts off with the political problems back on Earth, and presents the fallout of the first mission nicely. But since unobtanium is a key resource for the survival of humanity, the Earth sends their ships back to resume mining operations. Eywa and the Na'vi, of course, don't like this at all. The tension in the story comes from the ever rising hostilities of the respective groups.

This is an awesome story. The humans don't curb-stomp the Na'vi, or really hold any sort of moral high ground (though it may seem like it at first, since it is told from the human point of view). Humanity is presented like humanity is: good, bad, ugly and beautiful. Neither do the Na'vi get presented as anything other than what they are. The plot is engaging, but the characterizations are where this fic really shines through. Selfridge, in particular, goes through some amazing development.

5/5 - Give it a read.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just finished reading this and have come to the conclusion that it deserves all the 5/5 ratings it has received. The author has created what is probably the best Avatar fic on the internet, and has done it without making either side anything less than realistic. From the set up of Tartarus base to the battles against the Na'vi, everything has been done well and with a consistent level of storytelling that had me hooked from the first chapter to the last.

I'm just starting on the sequel now, and it looks to be pretty interesting too.

3. CrimsonEmperor

CrimsonEmperor Squib

Very well done. Really shows you how sides think... I hate fics that have a defined good and evil. There are only shades of gray, and everyone has a reason. 5/5

4. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I will probably give it a read tomorrow but...

...you gotta be kidding me.

5. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

I gotta agree here. Well written, good characterization but a lot of things kept grating on me.

Like, the constant use of 'ya' instead of 'yeah'. And at one point he uses the date 'April 31st'.

:confused:

That last thing is he cant get the name of his German Oberst correct.

Tentative 3/5

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Quite a few updates on the sequel, Semper Furor, in the past week. Anyone here still keeping up to date on it?

Really been enjoying the last few chapters. Really enjoying reading Pey'ral's POV. Especially regarding what she thinks of the humans as she lives on base and is forced to observe the battles from afar.

Overall, I rated this fic a 5/5. Generally, very well written, with good characters, and really good insights into how the two cultures view each other. The kinda gritty and more realistic feel I wish James Cameron had implemented into the original (and what he did seem to have for the first half of the movie).

On another note, why is this in this forum? Shouldn't it be in "Television and Movies"? Didn't think it was a comic adaption or anything...and as cartoony the Na'vi looked, I'd hardly call it a cartoon either. =\

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I've been reading it and it has definitely been one of the more interesting fics on my story alerts. Pey'ral and Norm's storyline is interesting and ties in pretty well to the overall condition/morale of the people on base, while Parker's problems with the aftermath are a nice take on the logistics of the situation.

It'll be cool to see where all this is headed now that the major fighting is out of the way.