1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Serpentine Diplomacy by borrowedtime - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Serpentine Diplomacy
    Author: borrowedtime
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    Pairing: None
    Summary: If you had the chance to change everything, would you? Harry Potter thought his life was cursed before, but now he is in for a new shock as his life sinks to a lower circle of hell, politics. Sort of PostHBP
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2695634/1/

An interesting story thus far, I've never seen Harry sent back in time in this manner before. Harry is pushed back to his eleven year old self on the Hut on the rock before Hagrid arrives. With a PostHBP repentful Draco Malfoy in his head, he begins a path to change the world. So far, he's been sorted into Slytherin, and I believe he kept the Philosopher's Stone for himself. It looks pretty good so far, but it could go either way at this point. Hopefully it doesn't become another canon copy.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Interesting story, has potential to rise far above all the other stories in this genre (with Super!Harry spending most of his time angsting over Ginny and all those who had died the first time around blah blah... boooring).

I like the idea of inserting politics into HP. I'm really sick and tired of simplistic good against evil conflict many other stories are pushing. It's nice to see someone trying to acknowledge all the other factions involved in the war and complicated relations between them (or at least I hope that's what he's planning to do?)

I don't like that he's pushing Harry's friendship with Ron - if he's already doing a complete AU, he might have as well had Harry befriending some other Gryffindors that are not used that often (like Dean & Seamus). Too bad he'll probably bend over backwards just so he could include the Weasley family into the picture and have Harry fawn all over the little redneck bitch.

What I don't like, however, is dynamics between Harry and Malfoy in his head. During the school years, Harry & Malfoy were more or less equal rivals, with Harry usually coming up as a victor in the end. However, in this story, the author made Malfoy into a super smart master legilimens, who can plan 10 steps ahead, understands politics like the back of his hand and manages to invent a time spell that no one had ever seen before. At the same time, he downgraded Harry into a stumbling half-idiot, who don't have a clue about what's going on, can hardly follow even the simpliest Malfoy's step-by-step instructions and gets all anxious about manipulating a bunch 11 year old brats.

He's practically making the same mistake as JKR made in HBP - made Harry into a brash talentless idiot, who's just a walking camera showing all the other interesting characters.

Well anyway, even with that downside, this is still very good story so far. I'm putting it on my watch list.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I wouldn't even say equal rivals. Harry pretty much owned Malfoy all the time during the first five books. Too bad it didn't remain that way due to Rowling's apparent need to pander to all the bloody Felton fangirls by giving the pussy Draco some credibility in the books...

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Its an good story but not my type.I'll try it again later though

5. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

Its pretty good, but confused on what happened after dumbledores death and why harry is at a truce with malfoy @_@ and yea....the arthor is making harry seem a bit.....dim? i guess is the word, oh well good story, cant wait for next update

6. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

well, with the truce thing, didn't it say that Draco went to Harry for help, but Draco forced him into it before Harry could begin to rejecy Draco. Thats the way i saw it, i could be wrong. Oh, and i like the story too.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't much care for the Hermione clone in the form of the Ravenclaw girl, nor making it AU, yet including Ron and Hermione. Harry goes out of his way to spare Hedwig from being placed in danger by not buying her alltogether, why would he want to risk his friends?

The idea is sound, the writing is excellent, but it could use clearing up in some areas. Especially making clear what the hell happened that Harry went back in time and now Draco's stuck in his head. As long as he doesn't screw up by forcing R/Hr more into Harry's life, and plays the politics right, AND doesn't clone/copy canon too closely, this will be a great fic.

He's got to smarten Harry up a bit, granted in canon the guy is a permenant idiot who is lucky he's still alive, but if he's going to be a force to reckon with, the author has got to improve on Harry a great deal.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well, he's made Draco smarter when he isnt so why not Harry? Bah. Draco is getting annoying.

9. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

DAMNIT! Story not found!

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yep. Its officially been removed.

Draco! WHy didn't you POUND Harry in the ASS!? :evil:

11. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

I liked this story too.

Except for the whole Draco-in-Harry's-Mind thing. Yup. That fucked it over.

12. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    why was this removed?

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Probably coz of Harry/Draco interaction without slash... Must have offended some teenage girl...

14. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

After checking my archive I'd have to say he probably got whacked for either reviewer responses or for authors notes.

Any idea if its possible to contact him to see if he'll update elsewhere?

--bornagainpenguin

15. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

I'm not sure if this is technically a necro or not. The rules said we were allowed to on stories, so I shall post it, and hope an admin removes it if I'm wrong. Does anyone have a link to this story? From the former posts, I assume it is still somewhere, but I googled the title and all I got was bad political cartoons.

16. Neffiedrake

Neffiedrake First Year

17. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, you can 'necro' library topics, but don't do it a lot. Queries for new links and such are cool, but no 'when's it gonna be updated???' or 'new chapter lolz' posts.

18. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

No stfu, DarkSov.

Necro'ing library threads is fine.

19. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary.
    Over many a strange and spurious pronsite of 'hot XXX galore'.
    While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning.
    And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
    "Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
    Quoth the server,

Story is going, going, gone. Bumped up for deletion/review.