1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Server Traffic Issues

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Nauro, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Every few hours, I keep getting a message about server being busy.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

It happened seemingly with no regard to the source I was trying to access the forum from, be it home or work.

Is there an issue for anyone else, and is it a problem the administration is aware of? Maybe there's an over-flood of the invisible Sorting Hat forum, or some other bot related traffic, since I don't believe there should be an increased number of members logging in compared to the usual traffic?

The approximate times (allow for a couple hours of miscalculation) were, in order of happening:
    GMT 10:00 (21-04-2014)
    GMT 23:00 (22-04-2014)
    GMT 5:00 (23-04-2014)
    GMT 15:00 (24-04-2014)

The might have been a fifth event, but I'm not sure about the exact time. Each period lasted for at least ten minutes. I think the GMT 10 "incident" took the longest, since I was amidst writing a post, and had to copy it and post an hour later.

Of course, there might be something in forum log.

As a side-note, we did have a couple of updates for popular fics in recent days, and a few new stories posted in For Review subforum. That might explain an increase in traffic, but I doubt that it's enough to make much of an impact.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I actually had the same problem, around 14:30EST(US) and 14:50EST(US). I thought it was just a small issue that occurred due to my work's own server issues and a few internet issues we had here.

Weird.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've had this problem a few times over the last few days or so. It hasn't lasted very long though.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also seen this several times yesterday, pretty sure at 1600 PST...

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Raven is probably crawling something data intense. Or something broke in the process.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I actually do my crawling on a different server. I haven't managed to catch the issue in progress yet, but I am aware of it.

Will let you know once I have an answer.

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

This morning, there might have been a longest period of server overload yet.

Got the first warning at GMT 5:08, and when I arrived at work at GMT 6:04, I got the very same message. At GMT 6:25 it worked as usually. I have no information on the server status between these three attempts, since I didn't have time nor a need to keep rechecking every few minutes.

Do you need me or anyone else reporting the times, or are the server logs sufficient source of information? I don't want to spam the administration with alerts from this thread, but at the same time, I could try to catch some debug information if it could help.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I've identified the issue and eliminated it. Let me know if you keep seeing it.