1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Sexual abuse of children by the Catholic Church in Australia

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Innomine, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Innomine

Innomine Headmaster ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was originally going to post this in the news that doesn't deserve it's own thread, thread. But I think this deserves its own thread.

The Age just released three... I'm honestly not sure how to describe them... pieces of investigative journalism into the documents procured by the Royal Commission into these crimes. Think of this as a similar process by which Robert Mueller investigated Russian interference in the election.

It's genuinely fucking horrifying.

Revealed: How paedophile priests in Victoria worked together to share victims

Seduction' of children did little harm, said Catholic gatekeeper

How a Melbourne seminary became the breeding ground for paedophile rings

These titles may seem like they look bad, but the content of the articles is even worse. There is no paywall, you have access to 5 free articles per month. I'm going to quote some of the more appalling paragraphs, but these articles are worth a full read.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Jesus Christ. Here's to hoping everyone even tangentially connected to this mess gets thoroughly investigated and anyone involved gets thrown into a very dark hole for the rest of their natural lives.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

Burn the whole thing down. Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, all Abrahamic organizations.

4. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The second link is broken.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Fixed.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    [​IMG]

At this point, is saying that the Catholic Church is just a child abuse mafia an exaggeration? This is the nth instance in the last several decades, and those "stunning" revelations pop up often enough with high enough frequency that this honestly doesn't surprise me at all. It's not "oh my gosh, what a shocking thing" anymore, it's "which CC kiddy fucker ring will be unearthed next?" I'm not shocked or disturbed, disappointed, or even angry. Just another day in the CC.

Bad apples, yada yada, but we know that popes have had their hands in covering this shit up, so it goes all the way up to the tippy-top. And the CC didn't exactly have a stunning reputation before it became synonymous with "where child molesters can be themselves". The cancer has metastasized to every corner of the institution. Burn it down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

As if. Francis will move them to prestigious parishes in Rome, far away from that pesky Australia.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh trust me...he's sending them to Hell.

8. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've heard that the rate of child abuse inside the Catholic Church is no higher than outside of it. It's something ridiculous like 40% of girls and 15% of boys are sexually assaulted or abused before they reach 18, and that is considered the low end.

The reason why the Catholic Church seems so much worse is that these cases of abuse always come to light in huge waves. As it holds so much power, the cases are looked at in much more detail, leading to more connections.

As we have been seeing with Epstein, it's trusted men in power that commit these horrendous crimes. It has far less to do with religion and far more to do with wealth, power and a belief they can get away with it.

Edit: Sources
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ut-clergy-sexual-abuse-in-the-catholic-church (The book referenced here actually says Catholic Priests rank lower than the average population for committing sexual crimes)

https://stopabusecampaign.org/2018/...protestant-churches-than-the-catholic-church/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  9. Innomine

High Score:
    I ask this out of ignorance, but does not acceptance of ones sins and repentance for them entail forgiveness in Christianity?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, it gets worse. Turns out Aus has been exporting pedophiles to the US for 'treatment'.

Umm, this is probably obvious at this stage, but I feel like I really should include a trigger warning here. This shit is bad. If in doubt, you're probably better off not reading it.

The Vatican clearly knew all about this.

Here's just one of the analyses done by The Age's investigative reporters. The red numbers beside each name? They are the known victims. We'll never truly know how many in total.

I bolded Ridsdale's name above, because he appears quite prominently in the image below.

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 9.21.24 AM.png

Ground zero: How the Ballarat diocese exported paedophiles to the world

10. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The general teachings in this regard is that anyone can be redeemed, but you need to be honestly and truly repentant. You don't get to just go "Oh, sorry" and get a free pass; you must both internalize the wrongdoing and seek to redress it as best you can in order to truly earn forgiveness.

And at that point, there's an argument to be made that the person in question is a fundamentally different person than the one who sinned in the first place.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    @Innomine depends on denomination but yes. However it has to be true repentance, not just fear of death/punishment

If they repent just bc they don’t want to go to hell then nah.

Edit: Ninjaed

12. Innomine

High Score:
    You know... this is actually so hard to do for so many people. Very little is as difficult as understanding and accepting your own flaws. This is the reason that I am not anti religious like many. I do believe it has a place in our society, but it must turn its prescriptions upon itself.

Surely the Vatican must both internalise its wrongdoing and seek to redress it as best they can in order to truly earn forgiveness right? And that can't just hush money to the victims... It's not just the acts committed by their members, it's also their denial and covering up of the truth while placing priests who abused children (Such as George Pell) in positions of moral authority despite knowing what they have done.

Events like these clearly shake the legitimacy of such a cause.

13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nevermind Hell, it's time they were brought to account in the real world. "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's", eh? It's time the Church stopped shielding its wrongdoers, and turned them, and the evidence they have kept secret for decades, over to competent authorities.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    On this we agree wholeheartedly.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

Can they start paying Caesar his taxes too?

16. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah that whole article is garbage. It's based on the John Jay study, which excluded rape of kids 12+ in its numbers because "ephebophilia" and also the Church's rather doctored figures. Since that time many archdiocesan units have released information saying their actual rates of child rape were 10% of all priests or higher.

FYI, the Church paid the researchers of the John Jay study.

17. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

Not to sound too bigoted, but is there something truly fucked up about religious institutions that makes abuse systemic ?

The Catholic Church seems to be a magnet for paedophiles so I assumed that it was something welded into their hierarchy, but listening to some other stories about kiddie fiddling in madrasahs made me wonder if the Catholic Church is just the beginning.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  18. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From a crime perspective, there's nothing particularly remarkable about a religious institution in this situation. Abusers tend to be drawn towards institutions which give them power over their victims; for pedophiles, then, they can often be found in institutions that grant authority over children, such as schools, recreational programs, or churches. It's not so much that the Church is seeking out these people, more that these people are drawn to the priesthood because of the access it gives them.

What is remarkable about religious institutions in this context, though, is their extensive efforts to conceal what was happening. This took a bad situation that wasn't necessarily their fault and made it into a systemic abuse factory that was definitely their fault.

19. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I would assume its because "vows of chastity" + being out into positions of authority / trust over minors + being part of an institution that will look out for its members come hell or highwater all contributing to a system that creates a need for sexual release, easy to abuse, and with little oversight.