1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping for the elderly

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My Grandma and I have been shopping for a new desktop for my 86 year old great grandfather whose 5 year old Acer just died on him. He has a Chromebook but it can't play the Media Player reliant site he gets his news in Russian from so we're trying to find him a Windows tower. He already has everything else and we want at least 4GB RAM and at least 400 GB Hard Drive.

We found a couple PCs on Tiger Direct, and the only difference other than USB ports (which I don't care about) that I can see is the type of RAM listed. The Cheaper PC says PC3-6400 800MHz DDR2 and the Slightly more expensive one says PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3. To me the difference seems negligible, he uses it for browsing, chain email sending, storing tons of family photos and videos, emailing, listening to radio broadcasts and podcasts, and obtaining a lot of mal/spy/adware.

What is the major difference here and is the RAM difference for a man whose main use of RAM is to run his computer even if there's a metric fuckton of malware on it?

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I think the only relevant question here is 'are you likely to inherit it soon?' If yes, have them buy something better. Otherwise, fly on the cheap- retirees always appreciate frugality.

3. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

It doesn't matter, just buy the cheaper one.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not paying for it and if I inherit it (hopefully still at least a few years off) we'd have to spend at least 400 more to beat out my pc probably so what we're buying him doesn't even fall in the same species as mine at this point.