1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete "Sluagh" by Thanfiction - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Thanfiction, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Thanfiction

Thanfiction Squib

Title: "Sluagh"
    Author: Thanfiction
    Rating: M for graphic violence, adult themes, extreme offensive language, dubcon, slash content
    Genre: Gen, Drama, Action/Adventure
    DLP Category:
    Pairing: Neville/Hannah, various others
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 219,358
    Updated: November 30, 2008
    Published: July 10, 2008

Summary: Five years after the battle, Neville is at last an Auror like his father, but now he must hunt down one of his dearest friends for crimes he cannot fully condemn.
    New link: FFN

This is the sequel to "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness", and I should warn you, it won't make much sense if you haven't read the first novel. It's about halfway finished, but fully plotted, and although I am still sticking to canon where it is relevant, I have been able to go much farther afield in this one. And I have. The Muggle politics and groups portrayed here are very real, and although it isn't really fully involved until later, so is the Celtic/Anglo-Saxon mythology and Druidic ritual.

I tried to foreshadow some of this in DAYD with Seamus' arc in that story, as well as with the dabbling in foreign spellwork, but this is, although told from Neville's POV, really Seamus' story. Harry appears more than he did in DAYD, but it's not until the third novel in the trilogy, "A Peccatis" that he is really going to take center stage.

I have also tried to address (well, begin addressing since we're only halfway in) how completely the students of the D.A. were failed by the wizarding world, and to start laying the seeds of the complete unraveling of Dumbledore's plan that is going to be the focus of "A Peccatis." As it is, people don't tend to question what works, but just because Voldemort was defeated doesn't mean that the cost wasn't far higher than it ever should have been....

Oh, and this is the story that explains the right-hand sketch in my signature, which is - strange as it may seem - of Seamus, and he is, in fact, holding a gun.

Checked by Minion, June 12, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Okay, so I seem to remember Seamus showing one hell of a dark side in DAatYoD, and making several oaths of vengeance...so I'm going to start reading this one and give an opinion once I've seen what's been written so far.

Edit: Okay, so I've read a fair bit now.

My estimation of Neville's character (as you write him) has risen to almost unprecedented levels throughout this story.

The oath he swears to Kate in Chapter 2...that's the kind of thing that you can only pray you'd do for a friend in that situation.

By the end of Chapter 12 I've got chills imagining the cure-or-kill option--or more to the point, imagining have to use that option for a friend of mine. Someone I'd grown up with and been through the blood with. I can't imagine really being in that situation, but I'm definitely feeling it for Neville and the others.

I'll give it a 5/5 through Chapter 12, and I can't imagine that rating would fall unless the story takes a complete nosedive somehow.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. Anme

Anme Professor

I like it quite a lot. It's much better than most fics I have recently read.
    I'm certainly going to follow this fic

4/5

4. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Seems alright, is rolling along nicely, and is a nice break from standard Trio-fics.
    Still not quite my cup of tea, but it is well written.

pi/5

5. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Given how the other stories in FR are rated, you'd think this one would attract members like a decaying corpse attracts greenish buzzing flies.

Anyone else wants to give it a try?

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a fantastic story, what more do you want me to say? Sure, it had its problems but they were so minor that I forgot about them by the next paragraph.

5/5

7. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Plusses include well written action and an interesting plot.

Minuses include very irritating attempts at Irish accents infecting every other line of dialogue and the rather annoying DA. I forget precisely what happened earlier in this AU, vaguely remembering a bunch of torture at Hogwarts, but their "we're the real veterans" attitude is irritating. Unless I'm missing a chapter where they were slogging through the rice paddies of 'nam fighting death eaters, they really didn't do jack shit as far as Voldemort's downfall goes except for Neville slicing Nagini as directed.

8. Thanfiction

Thanfiction Squib

Accents I vaccilated on for a while, but the syntax and slang just didn't work without the dialect, and the slang in particular is a heavy part of the characterization for the sectarian Muggles, so I chose to keep that, but I understand totally if it's a turn-off for some people. As for the DA being actual veterans, however, this is a sequel to my previous story, "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness." And as of that story, oh hell yes they're real veterans, particularly when compared to how much of the battle Harry saw.

9. Maro

Maro Third Year

This is now completed. First of all I have to complement you on your quality of writing and the update rate; both are absolutely amazing.

I really enjoyed the first half, up until it all went a bit weird, not wanting to spoil things for others. The Irish accents didn't really bother me that much although certain things rubbed me the wrong way generally about interacting with militants in Northern Ireland the way the main characters did. I tend to like the stories better where the magical world and the muggle world do not interact in such a key way.

After Chapter 22 I didn't really like how far it diverged from standard HP canon. Thats probably just personal taste though as it was still very well written and I suspect the mythology was well researched.

Also, I prefer Harry-centric in general and I think you wrote him possible a bit OOC the few times he did feature in the story. I really did enjoy the Year of Darkness which had similar elements regarding the DA/Harry interaction but I think in this you took it too far. The remains of the DA are brilliant and Harry is just the useless representation of authority constantly rubbing people the wrong way- It doesn't fit with my impression of canon Harry.

Still, I think I give this a 4/5. I think most of my criticisms of it are more personal preference than any underlying flaws with the story.

10. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Slaugh is very very far from DAYD. It's set years after and the main characters are Neville and Seamus. It's quite dark which you'll like if thats your type of fic. The ties to the HP world are very strained and it reads more like an original fic with hints of HP. I enjoyed reading it but it didn't have the same impact for me as DAYD, mainly since the characters I liked weren't much present.

3/5

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

.epub downloads:
    Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness by Thanfiction - (Mega, Mediafire)
    Sluagh (sequel) by Thanfiction - (Mega, Mediafire)
    A Peccatis (sequel) by Thanfiction - (Mega, Mediafire)