1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Snapists: Fiction Based Religion

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Sorrows, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    So someone published a paper on the rise of fiction based 'religious' movements. It focuses on the Snapists or Snapewives, who apparently feel spiritually connected/married to Snape on some spiritual plane. It focuses on three main wives Conchita, Rose, and Tonya, and is pretty interesting as a look at how these things arise and how they can be examined in the context of organised religion.

Also there are some seriously cookydook quotes in there. I'm not gonna add any because frankly there are too many to even begin and quoting the weirder ones out of the context of the paper would kind of go against its main argument. Still you can enjoy these photoshops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't even know this was a thing. Anyone heard of them before?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. EsperJones

EsperJones Headmaster

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

The fuck is this? No, I hadn't heard about this.

I hadn't heard about the Jedi religion either but at least it was (somewhat) of a fictional religion itself. Channeling Snape (or essence of Snape, or whatever) wasn't.

I get the similarity but still apples to oranges, imo.

4. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Third Year

Sad delusions of sad lonely people. They really do channel Snape.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

When I heard of that story, I was originally thinking of hot twenty-something year olds with mental problems. I have no idea why, though. Reality is quite different.

For real, though, that is fucking weird.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I pray to Amonkira, Lord of Hunters

7. Paradise

Paradise Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Here is something similar maybe some of the older DLPers will remember, the FF7 House.

Functionally a bunch of people follow a single woman who believes herself to be the living incarnation of a final fantasy 7 character. like a cult, she brainwashes, abuses, and takes advantage of them.

As to the Snapists, it makes me feel like people are more likely to go insane in groups rather t han on their own.