1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

So they are updating the Harry Potter book covers

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Sorrows, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Or at least the UK ones. I don't mind them actually, they're not the best but then some of the old covers were pretty shitty looking. Harry looks a bit like a girl and apparently doesn't grow at all in 7 years but the quality of the illustrations is alright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (This last one is probably the worst, I mean jeeze he's 17 not 10.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Not a whole lot of trio going on there, either. It's like they're taking a tip from Pottermore and not showing character faces if they can help it.

They should've bribed the artist from the Swedish edition for all our sakes.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

They are horrible.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the only good one, probably because you can't see Harry's face.

The artist might actually think he's female.

and what is he, like four feet tall at 17?

4. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I see one of those fem!Harry authors managed to land the book cover redesign gig.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Any chance of the "Philosopher's Stone" cover being available in high-res? I really like the Hogwarts in the background.

Other than that, poor, poor Harry. Never got to grow up.

6. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Wow. They are beautiful. I like them a lot. Fawkes really looks like a phoenix, not like some inflamed chicken, Dumbledore looks imposing, and Thestral finally looks like a real thestral. While Harry truly looks child-like in all of them, I don't mind all that much. If I wanted even better quality of these pictures, someone would have to resurrect Picasso or Rembrandt. Stop complaining people and just really look at these pictures.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    PoA is definitely the best one. I also like the background of the CoS (dat basilisk, woah) and FuckYeaH!Dumbledore on the HPB.

EDIT: Is it just me, or do the parts of Voldemort's robes (in red, duh) make him look a little like a priest? lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It's actually kind of sad, because looking at them more, I like almost everything about them, except for Harry Potter's portrayal. They are highly detailed, and beautiful.

And then I look at Harry Potter, and the quality of the rest of it doesn't matter anymore.

Except for PoA.

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Yeah that's what I thought about them, nicely done, but WTF is with Harry? Feels like the illustrator had a mandate from the publishers over their head 'make them look appealing to children.' Can't just be a stylistic thing, none of the other characters look like weird anime girls.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It would explain why he's going on and on about how he can touch Harry, in the graveyard...

That Harry does look remarkably androgynous. Would it be cynical of me to suggest that perhaps this was done on purpose to make the books even more welcoming to young female readers than they already are?

Is that Neville's head on the PS cover? It certainly doesn't look like a redhead. Hermione's hair, though, is one-hundred percent Emma Watson: All those blond highlights, and more wavy than bushy, with the little braids.

The only cover on which Harry's appearance truly irks me, though (aside from him looking a bit too young in half of them), is Deathly Hallows; then again, I don't like anything about that cover. As for the rest... Hagrid and Dumbledore look a tad cartoony, as does the face of the dragon on the GoF cover. Also, that dragon is the wrong breed.

The thestrals do, indeed, look like thestrals, though, for perhaps one of the first times ever.

Does the cover of PoA count as a spoiler?

They're far from being the worst covers I've seen, and are probably among the better ones (though certainly not the best).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. ScottPress

High Score:
    Oh Pedobear, y u not leave my head alone?

How so?

I think all except PS and OotP count as spoilers. ;)

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Hungarian Horntails are black with bronze-colored spikes.

Now, some would argue that the dragon on the cover is black but had to be rendered in a slightly different color, in the same way that most cartoon/comic book characters with black hair always seem to have a slightly green, purple, or blue cast to their hair, because actually rendering their hair as black wouldn't work due to various reasons... and I'd tell those people that Harry's robe on that cover is black, thus their argument is invalid.

Oddly, the artist got the 'granite-gray' color of the eggs right.

I probably wouldn't care so much, except that I think that particular dragon looks a bit goofy, anyway: Mostly because of its flip-top head and horns that are so big compared to the rest of its skull that, if you managed to put a few pounds of force on them, you could probably break its head in half.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The Swedish covers still remain the best of the bunch though.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am I the only one that actually likes the dragon? It may not be the right breed and therefore wrong for the cover, but as a rendering of a dragon in general I think it looks pretty cool.

And holy shite those Swedish covers. Why couldn't we get something like that in America back in the day?

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    I actually like those better than the Swedish ones. Cuz damn, BASILISK!

16. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Speaking of covers, I just saw this earlier today, a fanmade series of covers. Gorgeous, IMO, and they don't spoil anything, which so many covers seem to do....small text, though. I'm not entirely happy with all of the color schemes, but otherwise I love them.

An example:

[​IMG]

Here they all are.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

While I'm not saying that HP book covers ought to have some kind of divine-inspired artwork, those are a tad too simplistic. I'd go so far as to say they're quite dull. The one for Chamber of Secrets isn't all that bad when compared to the rest though.

The GoF one uses the image of the Tri-Wizard Cup from the film, correct?

Speaking of fan-made covers, I found this one to be neat (could have picked better font though), if a bit spoiler-y:

[​IMG]

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who is this anime kid and why is he never growing up? Oh god, is that you Ash Ketchum?

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

20. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Beautiful, but it woud have been better if they had foregone Harry entirely.