1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Social Media and the First Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Agayek, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the fuck is "viewpoint discrimination"?

2. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yet another in the long line of arbitrary things you can be discriminated against for, and thereby must be protected from.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Presumably what I linked earlier:
    See also here.

To my understanding, that viewpoint exclusion (or rather, its unlawfulness) was already well established, so the case hinged on whether Trump's tweets -- and especially the thread any tweet creates, where users respond -- constituted the same kind of public forum. Trump won't know this, but you'd assume his lawyers do. Which was why Spicey coming out back then and saying that Trump's tweets are, in fact, official WH stuff, was decidedly unhelpful.

Also @Arthellion , as you see, it's got nothing to do with the medium; all electronic media can be official gov outlets. The question is whether @realDonaldTrump in particular is.

Edit: @Agayek , I'm as common-sense as everyone (which is to say, what goes on at your colleges etc. makes me really confused), but in this case I don't think it's fair. Consider: It originally comes from a Town Hall setting, where politicians engage their constituency. If they could decide to kick out all people with opinions they dislike, and just do a hug-fest with their base, then how would the others ever be able to make their opinions heard?

It's actually, quite literally, an anti-safe space policy, because it prevents politicians from creating one -- for themselves.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Supreme Mugwump

High Score:
    Welp.

We’re screwed.

5. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner DLP Supporter

I don't actually mind it as a concept, I'm just so weary of the Oppression Olympics that the very word "discrimination" triggers a nearly violent dislike. 'sall there is to it really.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Town hall meetings do have rules governing them, though usually it's more along the lines of not being outright disruptive. People do get thrown out of Town hall meetings when they try something like constantly shouting obscenities and insults whenever the politician tries to speak. I suspect that's likely to be one of the lines of attack Trump's lawyers use though; that they're not banning/blocking people for disagreeing, but because they're being so disruptive about it that it interferes with the tweet's function while adding nothing of value.

Though I imagine the other side will be able to present plenty of examples of people getting banned/blocked without being nearly so disruptive at that, especially since a Twitter thread is a lot harder to disrupt than a town meeting. Frex, if someone did nothing but spam "Fuck Trump!" hundreds of times in the comments, you could probably justify a ban/block on them. If it's just offering a differing opinion in a reasonably civil manner...