1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Some general questions about Dresden

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dante, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Hello. First of all, I would like to say, that I translate books for a publisher.

I thought about asking my editor if they would be interested in publishing Dresden Files series in Lithuanian (to the best of my knowledge it is not published in Lithuanian yet). The questions:
    1. How successful is it commercially? Let's be real, it is a business, so the editor will be interested in that.
    2. The company publishes books that were made into movies. The Other Boleyn Girl, Brokeback Mountain (I think), Red Dragon, Hannibal and others. There was a series called The Dresden Files, but it was cancelled. Why?
    3. What would be the rating of the series? T? M? NC-17? K+? :D
    4. Is it better than Harry Potter?

Well, that is it... The questions are mostly stupid, but someone needs to ask them :)

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    The latest book was very successful in the top 3 sellers for Barnes and Noble and other stores as well.

It was canceled because the books weren't very popular at the time and they had a minuscule budget that they couldn't properly produce the show on.

I'd say M. Maybe High Teen - Low M

Oh god yes. But it won't have the success of Harry Potter as it isn't a children's book.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Tv series nowadays are cancelled the split second they aren't a run away success. it's almost impossible to get TV studios to develop new series, as they've gotten used to the cheap as hell to produce reality TV the last decade.

Dresden was given a nearly nonexistent budget, very little advertising, and stuck in a less then perfect time slot.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Too true; I've seen plenty of shows get canceled that were at least twice as good as any of the crap that's on TV now becuase the network executives give it no advertising, either stick in a worthless timeslot or constantly jerk the timeslot around, and show the episodes out of order so nothing makes sense.

Sometimes I have to wonder if there is a massive conspiracy among TV network to slowly wipe out all the good TV shows and replace them with crap.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

In before someone mentions Firefly.

Call it Harry Potter for grown-ups and you can't really go wrong.

6. Midknight

Hell they almost cancelled Heroes, they DID cancel Blade, they cancelled hte best show I'd seen on TV in awhile, Las Vegas, but shit like Survivor, or Moonlight, or Samantha Who, stays on.

7. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine Squib

I'm not sure what happened here. I had responded to this post yesterday, but I can't see my reply now. I know it was there at some point, becuase Midknight has a quote from it in his reply? Was it removed for some reason?

8. Midknight

I may have accidentally deleted it somehow that i cant figure out. Been screwing with me for alittle bit trying to figure out how, when all I did was quote it

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah... cancel the good stuff like that, and yet, you can still turn on 90 different channels and see this lame ass fake millionaire poker shows. :/

Put on real poker, with the niggers with gambling addictions and the threat of having to blow a crackhead for dinner money. THATS Poker. :\

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A very big part of the Dresden Files is the humor you get from the FP perspective of the protgonist. If the humor doesn't transfer well into Luthuanian the book will auto-fail. If it the humor does then it's succes is in the hands of advertising and whether a good fan base picks it up.

11. Dryden

Dryden First Year

A lot of the humor also comes from pop culture references, and i don't know how well that will translate to places outside US/Canada