1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Some plot bunnies free for the taking...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by nonjon, Jul 24, 2008.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I've got a few plot bunnies that piqued my interest but don't plan to ever use. So here's a few free for anyone to take and use. And of course, change or bend them however they suit you. This post got huge real quick, so this is just the six most coherent bunnies I could find.

Crossover Plot Bunny
    Tone: Lighthearted, humorous

This one came to me trying to think of how to mesh the Dresden Files with Harry Potter but really it can be used to crossover with any fandom. I posted it on my yahoogroup saying this:

The Last Magical Mimzy
    Tone: Humorous, nothing like taking a kids movie and story and turning it into something just plain wrong

The movie The Last Mimzy + my skewed view of things = this:

Parody of Super!Harry
    Tone: Sarcastic, mocking, humorous though I suppose you could play it straight too

This was a plot bunny conceived before Deathly Hallows that I always knew could be easily adapted to incorporate canon fully.

Blank Slate Harry
    Tone: Could be lighthearted and fluffy... or could be darker horror type thing.

This one's bit all over the place but this is the gist:

Dark Severitus done right
    Tone: dark, horror, drama

This idea was birthed for a pair of Father's Day type fics. One's a fluffy drama I may or may not ever finish. And this one which I doubt I could do justice even if I did want to write it.

Not the Harry you thought he was
    Tone: humor, drama, angst, bashfic, just about whatever you want to make it

If anyone wants to take any of these and run with them, go for it. If you want help planning or expanding on an idea, I'll be happy to assist. I just don't want to write them.

2. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Your brain, nonjon.

I wants it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

:O

Fue you cocksfan!

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Your language isn't appreciated on our well mannered boards.

You're on notice.

Shadow Mod sees all.

Edit. Nonjon, wonderful as always. :D

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The Dark Severitus plot bunny is by far my favorite.

6. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

The doorway in Luna's room could be pretty lulzy, but the last one really has my attention. Ridiculously good ideas, nonjon.

7. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I think the 'Blank Slate Harry' idea would fit very well as an extension to a somewhat clichéd Indy plot. It would work best if the author didn't right the actual prologue to the amnesia though, leaving the reader to put the pieces back together in their minds.

I think I'll have to agree with Andro on the whole, however.

8. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

This thread seriously depresses me.

9. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can't believe you gave away that blank slate bunny, nonjon. I can almost see that being one of your stories that I anxiously await updates to.

Although the darker tone spin on it could also be interesting - reminiscent of Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind, only where the characters really are just happier not knowing.

I wish I'd thought of any of these, as they're all great.

By the way, are you starting any more big projects now that WITWIHP series and Black Comedy are done?

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think the most interesting thing is the realization that if these are the concepts that didn't pass muster, the ones that did must be that much better.

Thanks, nonjon. My favorite of the mix (the one I could imagine writing) is the last, "Not the Harry you thought he was." It would need some care, though, to keep it from turning into what amounts to an Azkaban story with a twist. (And whoever knocked up Ginny would have to have real squick value).

11. nonjon

Enh... more interesting to write isn't quite the same thing as more interesting to read.

It's actually further from an "Azkaban" story than you might think. Because no one has ever really "betrayed" Harry. No one ever doubted him or his intentions. In fact they believed and supported "Harry Potter" the whole way.

The angstiness is really just one-sided for Harry. And perhaps how he reacts to people at finding out what's been happening. On the outside, from the public's POV it's merely their "hero" is still their hero. They've always praised and counted on their chosen one and he came through in spite of Voldemort's clever duplicity that had them all fooled. But in most people's minds, their faith in Harry Potter wasn't really ever misplaced.

I just figure Ginny wouldn't respond well to finding out how she'd been deceived and the man she "loved" dying suddenly. Maybe she really liked this new and improved Harry, or maybe she was just gold-digging for the Boy-Who-Lived fame. And then you factor in if she's been living off the "Potter" fortune that's suddenly no longer hers. Maybe Harry has to sue to get his family heirlooms back?

And how fun would it be to ask her every time "How's your Death Eater baby cooking?" Looks at watch. "Almost done, right? Just a few more weeks."

As for the Death Eater playing Harry, I'm not sure it matters much. You could pick someone old, gross, disgusting... Wormtail maybe? Silver hand could be tricky. A no-name? A Crabbe or a Goyle? Harry's memories/thoughts were probably easily extracted those few weeks after Sirius' lost his duel with a curtain.

But you know if you wanted to take the bunny you could turn it into whatever you like.

I'm inching along on my original stuff. Mainly percolating the details for the universe it takes place in. A rough outline for the story is taking decent shape, but not even the first chapter has actually been written yet (I got about ten pages down before I realized I needed to cement more details of the world first).

As for the bunnies held back, or future fanfictions, well... there's notes jotted down for a Voldemort one-shot in the same style as Birth of a Name. Mainly, I just love imagining what that particular Voldemort must have been thinking in the days and weeks after he got his ass handed to him by a baby. And he floated around possessing small animals making his way to Albania. Can you even imagine the blow to the ego? Going from most powerful Dark Lord ever to thwarted by a "Goo-goo-ga-ga" and a dirty diaper. One day I'll write that one. I'd have offered it up, but I think that's the sort of bunny suited best to my personal style.

There's also a few notes for a sequel to Dimension Hopping, but my heart's not really into writing that one yet. A couple rough ideas for a Browncoat, Green Eyes sequel but it's not enough to warrant writing it. Of course the 50 years later A Black Comedy follow-up is still in development, along with a few other partially finished ideas (Oedipus Hex and What You Don't Know for instance).

And the most defined plan I held onto was the complete AU story about teenage Unspeakable!Harry crossing over with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is the most likely multi-chaptered fic to see the light of day.

I've got some messy notes and ideas for other bunnies too but they weren't as cleanly organized.

(1) A super society thing where the war ends because Harry and Voldemort both join (Supposed to be twelve members, but there'd been eleven for a long time... then Albus died and with two spots Voldemort and Harry both got invited bringing the curse scar and prophecy power with them). It makes more sense in my head and I've got more details, but that's the gist.

(2) An oblivious muggle man forgets to take his Hepatitis-M medicine and then memories come back, first being, "I am Harry Potter and I am a wizard." We start to see that muggles eradicated the wizarding world, faked the idea of Hep-M which people can live with but it makes them infertile. Harry realizes what's happened and how he was betrayed by the muggle Prime Minister and government. With no good options or sources of help, Harry decides to resurrect Voldemort. Working basically together Harry and Voldemort end up making a deal with demons they unleash on the mortal world rather then let muggles kill magic in the night.

(3) A fic where essentially the wizarding world owes Harry a life debt for defeating Voldemort, and Harry intentionally or unintentionally cashes them in by wanting everyone to forget the name Harry Potter and what he'd done. Of course it works just a little too well. The world knows the Dark Lord was defeated but now Harry gets to see that life as a nobody, with no friends, and no one with any memory of him in existence, isn't such a great thing (be careful what you wish for and what not). Maybe he loses his apartment since "no one" was paying rent. Maybe the goblins don't have a vault for him anymore. His friends may think he's delusional but harmless as they meet him for the first time. It's kind of like Harry in a new dimension, but not really. Harry-bashers would jump at the chance to show how Harry's not special, and he's everything Snivellus said. You could go that way, or you could take the idea in other less disgusting directions.

(4) A humor fic that'd mock and parody the annoying bulk of marriage law fics. Focused on Severus Snape and how he keeps getting assigned a bride, only for her to commit suicide. And this happens over and over again. With the moral being death > married to Snape.

I'm posting these ideas in case anyone else out there wants to take a crack at them. Help yourself. Call dibs if you don't want anyone else to write one of them.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You make a good point, but I think Harry would still feel Azkaban!Harry-like betrayal in the sense that while he's getting his fingernails ripped out, he's suffering from the worst form of identify theft as nobody--not his surrogate family, nor his best friends, nor even Dumbledore--bothers to notice. Even though they didn't betray him, it's not like he won't feel betrayed....

What I meant about the care and feeding was just that the angst would need tempering or it could turn into HulkSmash!Harry with some cutting one-liners. Perhaps set the tale against a backstory of slightly bitter romantic comedy between an insane Harry and one of his friends, say Lavender or Katie, who is herself a bipolar hard-drinker married to one of the Weasleys and who always had her doubts about Harry. (Fake Harry rescued her once from Dementors, but his Patronus charm wasn't a stag). The two go through the "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, crazy stuff happens, boy and girl shack up" formula set against a background of Weasley red.

For old and gross, Dolohov is a good choice--he killed Fabian and Gideon after all.

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

The bunny Nonjon and Pers are currently discussing reminds me of a fic called Doppelganger or something like that, don't feel like hunting for a link at the moment.

Wormtail arrived at the Hut before Hagrid, kidnapped Harry and took his place at Hogwarts. Pretty sure Voldemort returned at the end of second year.

It had some potential before it turned Slashy.

14. NataliaGAG

NataliaGAG Fourth Year

I loved the Severitus one! I can only imagine the girls having fits and calling me names.
    Do you mind if I try my hand at it sometime in Portuguese? I don't venture at English writing...

15. nonjon

Err... yeah of course. Help yourself. I'm offering these bunnies up here. You don't need to ask permission.

16. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think Samuel Black already got that one.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It's not like there's a limit on how many times an idea can be written.

Our "Azkaban" section of the library could tell you that. ;)