1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Someone gets dumped into Middle Earth stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sorrows, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

After having a nice leisurely re-read of Shadows of Angmar, I have a craving for someone getting dumped into Middle Earth stories. Now when I was a tween I went through a stage where I read a ton of these and I vividly remember the ocean of Mary-Sue/Stue crap that makes up most of that particular troupe.

Now normally I would wade in but I'm pretty sure that 'girl dropped into Middle Earth' was one of the birthplaces of the Mary Sue and even most crossovers aren't immune.

Since I can't quite bring myself to go swimming in said ocean I was wondering if anybody had a decently long and well-written example of it squirreled away. I don't really mind if it's a crossover with something or an OC, I was just wondering if anyone knew of another fic that does something interesting with the premise.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright, so they're all the typical girl falls into Middle Earth stories that I can stand.

The Hematic is a story I'm still following and it's fantastic hands down best of my recs, it's set in the Second Age though. It's a bit unfamiliar if you haven't read Silmarillion though I haven't and can still follow along pretty well. The Hematic is engaging sort of a horror/thriller it has a grim but one of the most unique ways I've ever seen an SI enter into fanfiction. The main character is kind of messed up but you can sort of sympathize with her. My favourite character is surprisingly, Lucy the main character even though usually [/spoiler] Glorfindel the crazy awesome balrog killer though in this it's unlikely he'll be killing any balrogs [/spoiler] would be. A horror drama story that I genuinely want to keep slogging through is pretty rare for me but thiss is a story that deserves the praise.
    link https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10282151/1/The-Hematic

I read this a while ago but I remember it being pretty solid and I loved the twist it's completed and has a sequel, to be honest a bit generic as there are a few later Realistic girl falls into middle earth that are written better but this was the first of it's type
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1690622/1/Don-t-Panic
    Oh and the plot twist I really liked was in the sequel

Lastly for now though I remember a few better but these are the first that pop up
    This was memorable in how it had some creative ideas it didn't have much plot though.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8836050/1/The-Skipper

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I recall this one being fairly solid:

Home with the Fairies by I-Mushi
    We've all seen the horribly butchered and cliché girl-falls-into-Middle-Earth stories. So is it possible to make a semi-realistic one? Follow Maddie on her own adventure exploring Middle Earth as the opposite of a Tenth Walker. COMPLETE

Chapters: 30 - Words: 255,903

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6024634/1/Home-with-the-Fairies

4. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

There is one really old HP in LOTR story that is not as good as SoA but still pretty good.

Harry comes to middle earth by dragonballs(?) or something like that, he settles down to Rivendell long before Istari comes and when they do they call him the black wizard because how often he disagrees with Saruman.

Its name eludes me at the moment tough. IT was really old. It is in that archive thingy DLP has tough. You know the one you can download. So theorically it should be in the Alternates section of this forum.

Edit: Ayup
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=1570

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's one I remember with Wolverine dumped into middle-earth, and for some reason he goes along with the fellowship. I think it's this one - It's an odd coincidence, but I'm not entirely sure. It wasn't great, and was essentially "Lord of the Rings, but Wolverine is there too!", but it could've been worse.
    I remember Wolverine goes back to New York at the end of the story, along with his elf wife, Aragorn, and Arwen.

There's also Hear Me Roar, where the whole of the Lannister lands gets transplanted into Middle Earth. There's a few issues, but it was good enough to get into the library.

Don't have any SI/OC ones though, I'm afraid.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read that last night. It's really terrible even for a 2006 fic if you ask me.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Read my way through this one last night. As you say its nice and solid. Doesn't do anything particularly original with the premise and the writing and story are competent if fairly utilitarian; however, it achieves its stated goal of making a realistic girl-falls-into-Middle-Earth story. Which considering what most people do with the troupe is commendable by itself.

She has to work out how to survive in a medieval society where she has no language, useful skills or friends. Goes on a few of her own journeys and gets treated like the bit character she is by the main cast she encounters. She is not there for every important lotr scene, influences the lotr plot in tolerable and reasonably realistic ways and for the most part acts in a pretty relatable way for the situation she is in.

I'd give it a solid 8/10, cheers for the rec.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Then please post it on the review board.