1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Something I’ve had in my mind for a while

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Odisseu, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Odisseu

Odisseu Muggle

High Score:
    There is an idea for a fanfic that I’ve had in my mind for a while, I don’t know if alredy exists something like that or not, but I needed to tell you and know your opinion. I haven’t even tried to write it because: first English is not my mother tonge, I can read just fine, but when write I make so many grammatical an orthographic mistakes that it would be extremly embarrassing and second I’m not a good writter so even if I did it in my own language It would, most likely, be crap.

I love stories where Harry ends up being a powerful and intelligent wizard at the level of Grindelwald, Dumbledore and Voldemort and he actually works hard to become such (as much as I hate when he is unmotivated and average I hate more when he becomes superpowerful with a couple of months of training). So I came up with this idea: Imagine he comes to Hogwarts with a desiere to prove himself worthy of being the son of James, and more importantly, Lily Potter after hering how talented they were. Then, the sorting hat makes him choose between Slytherin and Ravenclaw and he chooses Ravenclaw for the same reasons that in cannon.

During his first year he befriends some classmates from his house and proceeds in a similar way with the difference that he, for lack of a better way of saying it, falls in love with magic and spends every waking hour pushing himself to the limit and with a hunger for knowledge that can not be sated. The stone trama I would make it so he is alone when he tries to save it but goes in the same way that in cannon. After he learns that Voldemort is not gone he vows to push himself even harder to honor his mother sacrifice.

The interesting part stars during his second year. After the Chamber of Secrets is oppend and it’s reveled that he is a Parselmouth, the school population starts treating him with caution and, in some cases, open hostility. That makes him detached, I would not make him dark but cynic. Since he cannot study in the library or in the common room because he can’t stand the stares he starts wandering the castle and somehow finds the Room of Requirements, it appears when he is wishing for a place to discover the deeper misteries of magic without anyone pestering him. There, here comes the core of this story, he finds a room whith shelves full of books, a table, a chair and a portrait of woman. He tries to speak with the woman but she says nothing and Harry starts to read and practice as much as he can, soon he spends every hour in the Room of Requirement only getting out to eat, sleep and go to class. After a time the woman starts speaking to him, she gives him some guidance in how to proceed in a particulary difficult topic and from there they start a tentative teacher-student relationship. After he saves Ginny from the Chamber (Partially because he is a good person and partially because he fears that if Ginny dies the school will close) he breaks down in the Room of Requirements and explains everything to the woman: The Philosopher Stone, Voldemort, the Chamber, the Dursleys, his fickle “friends” (he no longer consider them such, he is not forgiving like in cannon) and after that, the woman reveals that she is Rowena Ravenclaw and that he is in her equivallent of Slytherin’s chamber. Then, she offers help, she will teach him everything she knows about magic and revels that she can project herself, much like Tom Riddle did in the Chamber of secrets and, like him she can cast spells while she is projecting herself. She offers training even during summers and demands him total dedication to her teachings until she deams him ready. Rowena explains that the feeling that you get at Hogwarts that the castle is almost alive is because before she died she transfered her conciousness to the ward system to protect the students (Hogwarts is NOT her Horrocrux she did a ritual that sacrificed her afterlife in order to keep the students safe, this will be revealed after Dumbledore tells Harry about the Horrocruxes in his 6th year and confronts her) and so she makes a portkey that will bring him directly to her when he is at the Dursleys (Harry goes every night to sleep to the Dursleys house and when he wakes up takes the portkey. He’ll apparate after she teaches him).

From there the story unfolds. I would pair Harry with Fleur as for Hermione, Ron I would not keep the same friendship they had with Harry in cannon. Because, first he is not in the same house and second in this story Harry is very different that in cannon and I belive that their personalities would clash too much, I’d not bash them they’d be one more of the crowd. As for Dumbledore I would like him to be a sort of mentor too in 6th year but for the first 4 years he would just keep an eye on him and subtly try to make him open up so he can enjoy his childhood but fail in the end because he is too driven.

My God that ended up being long! Any way tell me what you think, please. And if anyone likes the plot and want to start it please do just please go until it’s finished.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, that's a hot mess.

Why is James (who at the very least, fought Voldemort) less important or talented than Lily (who literally did nothing but beg for Voldemort not to kill Harry)? James is an animagus, helped create the Marauder's map, and appears to have been on an even keel with Snape, who allegedly "knew more dark magic beginning Hogwarts than most 7th years", and at the very least was a talented spell creator. If you went to Hogwarts during those years, an average person is much more likely to have known James (who was popular and well liked) than Lily. Harry is also the spitting image of James, so it's odd that you think that he would naturally gravitate to his mother, who he has no knowledge or connection to (except her eyes). This fanon idea that Lily was more talented than James is kind of silly.

Year 1 cannot go the same as usual. For one thing, unless Harry is better at Chess than Ron, and more knowledgeable about a "magicless" subject than Hermione (herbology) he would not be able to navigate the traps. If Harry is so driven to learn magic, he may never have learned about how to get past Fluffy even!

Year 2 You don't mention Harry ever figuring any of the mysteries out. How does he find out about Moaning Myrtle? How does Harry ever get access to the diary to figure out he needs to stab it? There's so many problems with year 2 here that the divergence is already a clusterfuck. You're writing about a Harry In Name Only (different house, different motivations, different aspirations, different relationship to people, etc.). Pretty much once I got to this point, I just skimmed because there's so much unexplained nonsense that refuting them point by point is a tiresome and pointless activity.

3. Odisseu

Odisseu Muggle

High Score:
    I know it’s a mess... I have a very disorganised mind and it’s difficult to me put my toughts in to words. I do apologise.

As for Lily and James is not so much as how they were in cannon I know that James Potter was far above average it is more that I pictured Lily, for this story, as more of an scholar and thats why he focused more on her not because he has anything against James, quite the contrary.

There is a lot of unexplainded things because I just wanted to give a general idea.

And I know that there are a lot of diferences with cannon but what is fanfiction for if not to wonder what would have happend if... There are people who doesn’t like too many diferences there are some that do like them.

Any way, I wanted to know if my idea was crap or if other people liked it, now I know that you don’t like it. I got what I came for.

4. Celtic Bard

Celtic Bard First Year

High Score:
    I think you mean drama. Harry going to confront Voldemort at the end of Philosopher's stone is meant to show that you can overcome challenges with the help of your friends that you cannot alone. Going by himself here shows that he is more powerful than other first years, but you can also show it by having him exchange 2-3 spells with Voldemort.

A lonely 12 year old is more likely to become introverted than cynical in such circumstances.

It seems that he is like this only for the 'cool' factor. I don't see why Harry would turn out like this.

All of this is really cliche and I can't see why Rowena Ravenclaw would choose to help only him and no other student. And also, I from what I remember, it is the soul that houses our consciousness since people who get kissed by Dementors become vegetables and cannot respond to stimuli. So, the castle is a huge horcrux.

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

So uh, where’s the plot?

Study, study, study... final battle?

Sounds boring as shit.