1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Soup! There it is!

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Dec 11, 2017.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the Northern Hemisphere on the cusp of some frigid weather, it is time for hot soup, all day, everyday.

Favorite soups. Go.

--------

My top pick:

-- Authentic Maryland Crab --

• 1 - 1 & 1/2 pound of washed lump crabmeat -- pull into smallish pieces and remove any stray pieces of shell (do not be a noob and skimp with backfin meat; that weak shit does not contain the necessary proteins to make for a good "crab" flavor when boiled and your soup will end up just tasting like salty Old Bay dishwater)
    • 1 drained can of whole tomatoes, cut into small pieces (or two fresh medium over-ripened tomatoes)
    • 3 cups water
    • 2 cups beef broth
    • Optional -- 1 large beef bone of some sort (I find this entirely unnecessary)
    • 1 cup frozen lima beans (or any kind of hearty planty bean -- black eyed peas are IMO better than lima beans, but that's not "traditional")
    • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (you can also just process in blender or whatever)
    • 1 cup frozen baby carrots lightly chopped
    • 1 cup frozen yellow sweet corn
    • 1 yellow onion diced
    • Optional -- 1/2 cup frozen green beans sliced to inch-sized pieces
    • Optional -- 1 cup red potato chopped and cubed skin on
    • 2 tablespoons Old Bay minimum (I usually do at least 4 tablespoons)
    • 1 teaspoon celery salt
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
    • Optional -- bay leaves -- 3 to 4

Fairly important that you use frozen and not fresh for the beans, carrots, and corn otherwise they will degrade into mush (which is what you want for the celery and onion).

-- Extremely simple directions: --

Place all ingredients, except crabmeat, into a deep soup/stew pot.

Bring to boil. Immediately reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Stir in crabmeat; bring back to high boil and let it cook for about a minute, then cover and simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Roast cauliflower soup.

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    2-1/2 cups water
    2 vegetable bouillon cube (or equivalent)
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups whole milk
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional

DIRECTIONS
    Roast cauliflower for 30 minutes with salt, pepper and oil.

In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
    In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
    Blend until smooth.

Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).

3. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I don't actually go for soup at all, but god damn I love the title of this thread.

Soups are kinda low calorie affairs unless you're going fancy, right? I was kinda curious if there are any that strike a balance between low calorie and being an actual filling meal (and a million dollars would be nice, too, while I'm asking for amazing things).

Maybe a meat sort of thing?

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much any broth-based deal that doesn't have grain or dairy products in it will be low calorie. Unless you're making a soup with like, the fattiest pork belly imaginable, you can usually safely load up on the meat and veg to a point beyond light fare without worrying about cals. Maryland crab for example is hella low. You could double all the meat and veggies in my recipe (except for maybe potato) and still come out at under 300 cals a bowl.

5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chicken Gnocchi soup: Its a family favorite. I think Olive Garden has a version too.

Code:
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup onion, diced
    ½ cup celery diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups half-and-half
    1 (14 ounce can chicken broth) for a thinner soup use 2
    1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
    1 cup diced cooked chicken breast (sub rotisserie)
    1 16 ounce package potato gnocchi (on the pasta isle)
    salt and pepper to taste

Sauté onion, garlic, and celery until tender with butter and olive oil. The butter keeps the oil from scorching and turning bitter . Remember, garlic last. Add flour to make a roux, cook it for a minute. You want a blonde roux, not a dirty one.

Add chicken broth and chunked chicken and stir until it thickens (you can use a low sodium broth alternative, I usually make a pot up from all the bones and shit I have laying around). Do only about half. Gnocchi is a thick soup, so you can kinda tailor it to your taste by keep some in reserve. Add in spinach (kale if you prefer) the rest of the chicken and gnocchi. Cook for another five minutes until the gnocchi are done.

Salt and pepper to taste.

You can buy gnocchi prepackaged on the pasta aisle, but for those that want fresh everything, here's a recipe for that too.

Code:
    2 potato
    1 cup flour (all purpose)
    1 egg

Boil the potatoes in salted water, until tender. Mash with a fork or masher if you have one.
    Combine a cup of flour, and the egg with the potato to make a dough, form it into a ball.

Shape into small portions, think playdough snakes. Cut into half-inch pieces.

Only cook them for like 3 minutes in some boiling water before adding them to your soup to finish. They'll soak up some of the moisture from the soup pot.

Enjoy.