1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Space Pulp by view - M - Original Fiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Burt, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Title: Space Pulp
    Author: view
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: Original Work
    Summary: Looks like I'm doin' a SPAAAACE PUUULLLP comic. Mostly for colorin' practice.
    Link: Space Pulp

This is a funny/wonderful/quirky web comic that's just been completed. The art is slightly amateurish but enjoyable. The really great thing about this story is the characterization. It's clear that the author actually cares about the characters, and every interaction seems real, with every character being flawed. Basically, the story is about an girl named Iridium Lake, whose species, looking rather like humans, is known as the Poison Monkeys. They are essentially galactic beatniks/bounty hunters/drug offenders. Consequently, as you might imagine, Iridium's adventures get interesting. Anyway, I enjoyed this story a lot, although it's far from flawless, so maybe you will as well.

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

This thread got almost 300 clicks but no reviews and not even one vote.

I'll give this another seven days before I move it.

3. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

So, I had a look, mainly so Minion wouldn't be sad.

It's got quite a bright, engaging art style, which is a bit more technically proficient than it looks at first glance. The quality is a little variable; some excellent panels with interesting character designs, others more sloppy and generic.
    It's fully coloured, and quite well too. Maybe that's normal these days but I felt like I was being spoiled a little with that :).

The writing was the poorest aspect for me. I gave up after around 40 pages because there was no real hook, and the dialogue all felt pretty bland and flat, apart from occasional moments of forced quirkiness that just made me roll my eyes.

A decent effort but it failed to grab me. 3/5.

4. prion

prion Second Year

3/5

Some of the panels look nice, although it's a little hard to pin-point his style. It changes; sometimes the drawing is getting cleaner and sharper - and then seems to get messy again. His coloring definitely improves.

As for the story, I had a hard time keeping up with it. It jumps around a lot and the panels that don't really progress the story aren't helping. I might have missed this detail, but there are many scenes where the main character escapes from captivity - I mean, how did she hide that weapon? Or did the guards consistently not check her? There's also quite a bit of nudity that I'm not sure is necessary or adds to the story - at least the majority of the nude scenes.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I lasted until p128. The story isn't engaging. It's hard to identify with the main character, and the other characters aren't enough to make up for it. The universe might be interesting, but it's impossible to tell at this stage.

The occasional nudity didn't bother me; it's not over-sexualised, and it seems to fit the scenes that it's in. The first instance was to show the protagonist's disconnect [as an alien in a universe full of aliens] from our own social mores. It was early in the story where we were still trying to figure out who this character we're following around is. I've seen similar uses of nudity from Warren Ellis in Freak Angels and Transmetropolitan.

The story fails to grab my attention. Actually, "what story?" is a pretty good description at this point. There's been a series of events, often chaotic and crazy, without much insight into characters, and no strong plot to obviously connect everything and hook me in. I don't see the point in reading any further. Some of the individual scenes are good, but it isn't enough. 2/5

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I took a gander at this a while ago. Couldn't really get into it. The scenes transition a little too quickly, or who the characters are, and I don't really have a sense of place or why anything is happening. Admittedly, I didn't get too far in - but there's nothing that held my attention.

3/5 at its best bits.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

2/5. Not very interesting or entertaining, and the style is poor at best.