1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Space!

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP, I'm soliciting recommendations for documentaries (standalone film or series), podcasts, YT channels, books, basically media on spaceflight. I don't wanna read Wikipedia, I want to learn and be entertained, perhaps with the slant toward entertainment. I'm not looking to become a self-taught engineer.

Related but secondary, space in general. Also seeking entertainment in the food for thought way. I don't mind if you throw out a book that requires knowledge of physics, though preferred is stuff that a layman with a high school science education and access to Internet can grasp.

I don't know how much help that'll be as an analogy, but basically I'm looking for Dawkins' The Selfish Gene about spaceflight/space instead.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I recommend "Into the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" He touches on lots of physics and the universe. Star Talk with Neil Tyson Degrassi is also a great show on space. I also find both of them very fun to watch.

3. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    What annoys me about space documentaries is that after 50 years of space exploration, we still get nothing but CGI in most of these documentaries.

I found The Principle (2014) was very interesting, it goes through recent evidence that indicates we may be in a geocentric universe. Kate Mulgrew does the narrating and it has guys like Lawrence Krauss, Michio Kaku.

4. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

If you want a great look at the space race in particular, I would recommend the series 'When We Left Earth' & 'Moon Machines' - the former is more of a history show, the latter goes into the rockets and spacecraft and whatnot more.

Also, both versions of Cosmos cover more than just specifically space things, but they're good.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, I have a few things to dig into now. Thanks for the recs guys.