1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spend your magic budget

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inspired by the Cost of Magic thread.

You have 1000 galleons. With that money, you can buy books which will teach you how to do certain spells. You will be able to perform those spells wandlessly, perfectly, and without limit.

You are the only magic-user in the world.

Here are your options:

upload_2019-11-20_19-20-44.png
    upload_2019-11-20_19-21-3.png

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finite Incatatem Free
    Silencing Charm 100
    Tidying Charm 100
    Cleaning Charm 100
    Hour Reversal Charm 700

Tough choice between Mind-reading, Imperio, or Time Travel. Ultimately had to go with time travel

3. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort's flight spell and Obliviation.

And of course finite incantatem just because its free.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

This feels horrendously Jumpchain/CYOA Taure-sama.

But that shit's my jam

Legilimens 600
    Injury-healing charm 300
    Cheering Charm 100

And become the world's greatest psychiatric surgeon (it's a new thing).

I was going to go for imperius and then cast it on the vendor, but I worried you'd slap me.

5. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

If I wanted to enjoy life - 800 on apparition and 200 on undetectable extension for infinite travel and convenience.

If I wanted money and/or power - 800 on imperius and throw the rest in the trash.

Other random useful ones - reparo (400), injury healing (300), voldie flight (600), disillusionment (600)

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'd probably go Legilimency for 600, Injury Healing for 300, and...probably the cleaning charm with the final hundred (if only so I could experiment and see to what extent it works).

I'd go through life in near perfect health, making money from poker and insider trading. And either have a super clean house, or potentially go around cleaning toxins out of the air just make everyone's life a little better.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I can't not pick Apparition, so my list is:
    Apparition
    Tidying Charm
    Silencing Charm

If I couldn't go with Apparition for whatever reason, then the breakdown would be:
    Duplication Charm
    Obliviation

Make all kinds of bank and keep selling the same gold coin to the same pawn shop forever.

8. panamaman329

panamaman329 First Year

Apparation no question! then either cleaning/cheering or stunning for the other 200. I feel priced out of the game because imo apparating is a no brainer so there's not much room after that

edit just saw agayek makes the same point

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparition, Scourgify, Tidying Charm. These three would save so much time in life. Travel would be a triviality, not to mention the multitude of problematic/dangerous situations that would be instantly nullified by the ability to teleport out.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My answer is on the following basis:
    • I don't want to use magic for criminal acts.
    • I don't want to become famous for having supernatural abilities.
    Which means I don't want anything too flashy or things that would only be useful if abused.

So I really have two goals:
    1. Enhance my day-to-day life.
    2. Stay safe/healthy (bearing in mind I am paranoid AF).
    So I would pick:

Injury Healing Charm (300) - No brainer, don't have to worry about any kind of physical accident or attack except those that would kill you instantly. Can also be used (subtly) to help others. If all else in life goes to shit, would allow you to join a religious community and attain a cushy position therein.

Engorgement Charm (200) - Have spent a lot of time trying weights etc. to very little effect. Time to get magically buff overnight (or more realistically, a little bit a day over a few months to avoid awkward questions). More muscle is also good for health. (Plus, of course, the more obvious use).

Impervius Charm (300) - In a world where there are only physical rather than magical threats, this probably protects you just as well as the shield charm, and it's a lot less flashy, so you can leave it on 24/7. Don't have to ever worry about bullets, shrapnel, etc. Might even divert knives etc.

Cheering Charm (100) - I still occasionally suffer health-related anxiety/panic attacks, and I imagine this would help with that. Plus it can be used to cheer up people who are sad.

Sauce-Conjuring Charm (100) - Never have a boring dinner again, and can cook great meals for friends with the simple addition of an amazing sauce.

TL;DR I can't teleport but I'm healthy, happy, body confident, safe, and throw amazing dinner parties.

11. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

(600) Animagus -- some kind of fast bird
    (300) Injury-healing charm
    (100) Tidying charm.

I first thought apparition, but I live conveniently close to the places I need to go in my day-to-day. Everywhere else, travelling via bird form would be inconspicuous and cool. Injury-healing for when I get a paper cut, or if I ever get hit by a car or give birth or something drastic like that. Tidying charm for quality of life.

Legilimency was a close contender. Ultimately, I just don't care what other people are thinking usually, and if it were known I could "read minds" I'd get put on a lot of unfortunate radars. It's also sort of creepy. Dunno how many people would want to be friends with someone they could have no privacy around (especially if the ability works like Queenie's from Fantastic Beasts).

12. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love you too.

13. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Animagus (600): Wandering Albatross, basically the best bird to go across the world as

Reparo(400): For money

Basically I'd wander the world as a bird free to live and do as I please at the drop of a hat, I'd buy and reparo antiques and then resell them for a good amount of cash. Providing me with all food and funding I'd need

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Reapir 400
    Impervius 300
    Refilling 200
    Sauce Charm 100
    Finite. Free

Able to fix anything that's broken, makie it last a long time with impervius, and refill any cup, or container with any liquid.

Sauce because sauce is good on everything.

And Finite because its free. I can cancel any spell I cast previously, esp. if I was spiteful or you tried to fuck me over for the service I provided.

15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Repair 400
    Healing 300
    Undetectable Expansion 200
    Cheering Charm 100

Originally I was thinking of Legilimency, but decided to be selfish. Let humanity figure itself out the long way. There's only so much ugly truth I'm willing to face these days.

16. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Voldemort's flight spell 600
    Healing spell 300
    Cheering charm 100
    Finite incantatem FREE

I'd be able to fly, heal any injuries I might sustain due to its dangerous nature, and cheering charms are my favorite.

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Imperius (800) - This is self explanatory. I'll be able to do literally anything that's physically possible.

Blasting Curse (200) - This is the best of the 200 options. I won't need anything physical because my Imperius can get it for me. I will never need to subdue a single threat (stupefy) that I can't subdue with an Imperio. I probably won't need to use this one, but it seems nice to have in case I'm ever attacked by a large group of people.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My instincts go straight for apparition & the extension charm. Also Finite, obv.

But those are what would be the most enjoyable for me to have. It'd be possible to make money with them, but much easier to get money/power/fame with other abilities (imperius, legilimency, etc).

Therefore I'm not sure what I would actually pick should this scenario arise.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Finite - Free
    Cleaning charm - 100
    Cheering charm - 100 OR the Tidying charm -100
    Apparition - 800

Those first three are no brainers given how cheap/free they are - being able to clean anything is perfect and even though it would be more of a bandaid than a cure for anxiety and depression, the cheering charm would be perfect. Also, since a lot of the time my depression manifests as not caring enough to clean, the other charm will likely help me a lot indirectly. I don't particularly have any desire to control people or hurt people and live a relatively peaceful life and apparition will be enough to get me away from any dangerous situations. Especially since there would be nobody around who could cast anti-apparition or anti-disapparition jixes.

The cleaning charms could make money too. Imagine being able to clean a dozen houses a day?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  20. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Genuine question to those of you ignoring the vast potential of the Imperius - Why? Imperius objectively has the highest payoff?