1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider Potter

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Xanatos, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I have an interesting plot bunny I'm thinking of turning into a Fic.

What if Aragog, realising that the Basilisk had been released again granted Harry with a gift from the spiders to combat their mortal enemy.

Harry would get bitten by Aragog but gifted with powers like Spiderman, with still the ability to cast magic, meaning he could leap about and web whilst battling, giving him a huge advantage over other opponents.

This would allow him to actually beat the Basilisk in a half decent way.

Also, Ron would not want anything to do with Harry, considering Harry as half Spider. Harry would receive mixed reactions from the other students also.

Anyone think this is a good idea or lame?

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

As an idea, it is awesome. As a story, you'd have to try very hard for it not to be lame. In the end, you wouldn't get much mileage out of wall-climbing and web-shooting, and the rest of the Spiderman set (faster, stronger) show up in pretty much every super!Harry fic ever written. You might be able to make something of the precognition, though.

If instead of focussing on the powers you focus on how others react, then you could be on to something. Hagrid would be fascinated. The Ministry might try to have him registered as a dangerous creature. Ron would freak the fuck out. Anyone into bondage would flock to him. Dumbledore might be pissed if he's the manipulative type.

3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Well, I'm of the belief that almost anyone would have made a better spiderman than Toby Macquire. He's pretty bad.

I'd be tempted, I must admit.

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I second Tehan's statement. If you overrate Spiderman's abilities the story is pretty fast fucked up.

And there is a serious problem: As spider, Harry would fear the basilisk that much that he wouldn't enter the chamber ... :p

Ah well - doesn't matter. The only consequence is Ginny's death.

EDIT: I think Toby Macquire wasn't that bad, but ok, if you say so ...

How about ... Mordecai?​

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, I'm sure I would look brilliant in a skin tight costume swinging around on a piece of string Minion.

/sarcasm

And something you seem to have forgotten. In the Spidey canon he doesn't naturally develop the web thing. He creates a device that is strapped to his wrist, and makes the web like substance which is contained in cartridges, which inevitably ran out in the middle of a sticky (bad pun I know) situation.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Hehe. This reminds me of a crackfic drabble I wrote a few weeks back. Only it wasn't Harry nor was it an intentional gifting of powers. Warning: This is really dumb but made me feel better.

7. Myst

Myst Headmaster

There was a fic a while ago that had Harry gain a bunch of Beast powers. In fact the title had Beast in it.

Anyways in the fic, Harry was granted some of Aragog's powers.

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, this is kind of a real good idea. Although a note of clarification: would Harry be literally Half-Spider (extra limbs, crazy eyes, giant fangs), or just have the Spider powers? I'm not sure which would be better, personally.

-J

9. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Actually Mord, Spidey really was able to shoot web, but his wirsts were crushed by some villain I can't recall and destroyed his ability to produce it. So to cope, he made his own webbing.

Anyway, I'd read it for a few kicks, but I'd have trouble taking it seriously.

10. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

I think it wouldn't make a bad one shot, quick scene of killing basilisk, then go off to show different peoples reactions and a few other scenes. Yea I can see it as a half decent one shot but nothing more.

11. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I was thinking maybe a series of one shots, as I don't really wanna make a whole fic out of it.

I would make him able to produce the web himself, it would be lame if he couldn't web.

I have a funny section about the extent of the powers. So look out for that.

I will start this pretty soon, so keep an eye out for a half serious fic which will hopefully keep you amused.