1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[SPLIT] Issues viewing embedded imags on DLP (and other forums)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ViolentRed, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

There are several posts in this thread that appear emptry to me, even though there obviousley should be a picture of some sort. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do about it?

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It means that the picture isn't loading because it doesn't exist at that address anymore, or you don't have permission to view it [eg. hotlinking], or the image host is blocked on your network, etc.

Use the 'quote' button to examine the picture urls in the blank post. Try loading the picture in its own browser window [maybe it just didn't load the first time for some reason]. Use the pic name in the URL to google for it. That doesn't work well with randomised file names like Imgur uses, but maybe you'll get lucky. Other than that: No pic for you.

3. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I just checked and all the pictures seem to be from the same website, sphotos and then some stuff, like the picture in the post above mine. I already noticed it was almost always the same posters whose pictures I couldn't see. Is there any reason I can't see pictures from this website? When I load them in their own browser, they work fine, but it's a bit of a hassle to do it every time.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Something like [noparse]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/[/noparse]? They're being hosted on facebook. Maybe they've been deleted. Without you linking one, it's gonna be hard to tell what's wrong.

5. yak

Also being hosted on Akamai. I wasn't aware that there was any crossover between Facebook's CDN and Akamai's CDN until now.

ViolentRed, CDNs work well most of the time, but they aren't always the fastest or most robust of services. If the pics load in separate browser tabs, then perhaps your browser is partly at fault here [eg. timing out the pic]. Try viewing the thread in another browser.

Also, you might live in a shitty part of the world or have a shitty ISP.

Another possibility is that the CDN is sending you a pic from a very distant cluster rather than a close one. That'd be caused by you changing your DNS Server settings or just having a bad DNS server.

6. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Similar to that, yeah. I doubt they've been removed, seeing as the last one was posted by Castiel 2 hours ago and I'm pretty sure I saw that one minutes after being posted.

This is the one Castiel posted. I copied it directly from the quote from his post. I tried to see if the image would show up if I posted it myself, but it didn't show anything in the preview.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/182527_435195049875192_1781628256_n.jpg

EDIT: I live in Italy, so who knows. I recently moved to a different part of town and it is possible I didn't have trouble with these pictures on my old netwerk. I don't really remember, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow connected to my new netwerk, seeing as it has been having some other problems as well.

Ah well, thanks for looking into it guys. I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  7. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

@Violent, I usually re-upload pics I post to imgur but I got lazy this time around. ^^ Anyway, you could just copy and paste the URL of the image you are unable to view in a remote-uploading feature of an image-host. The image host will retrieve the pic for you can you can see what it is. Like I just did with the pic I posted: http://i.imgur.com/nqlYM.jpg

8. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

The images work when I open them in a different window, so that's no biggie. They just don't load when posted on a different website. I get a blank post, like someone just pressed the spacebar a couple times. And it's not just DLP. When I hover over the link of a picture on Reddit for example, it won't work either. With Imgur or other hosts, it does show me the image when I do this, but not with this one.

9. Oz

10. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

I get it with Chrome.

11. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Ah, yes, thanks for the split.

And yes, Chrome for me too.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Dev version or standard release? Have you updated it? Using any ad blocking service? Try turning off all your extensions and seeing if they work after a reload.

If you are using ad blocking. Un install and then reinstall with fresh filters. If you're using a custom filter make sure you haven't blocked one of those hosts on another site accidentally.

13. yak

Good idea.

The quickest way to do this is to open a "New incognito window" in Chrome and load the thread in there. All extensions are automatically disabled in an incognito window by default.

14. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Is there a way to turn off defaultly going to HTTPS:// ? I think it might be that.

15. yak

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

They should show up regardless if ssl is enabled.

17. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Thanks for all the help. After messing around with my extension for a bit, I've figured out it's this extension that's the problem.

It blocks Facebook from tracking me, which apparantly blocks those images as well. Simply disabling the Facebook block for a moment solves the problem, without having to turn off the extension all together.

18. Oz

Good to hear. Thanks for coming back and saying what was up.

19. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Ah yeah, I was having this problem as well...I was simply resorting to using incognito to view those images. Good to know the solution though.