1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SPO's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Stalin's Pipe Organs' Challenge #1

Summary: Harry forms an accidental horcrux at age 8. Now coming to Hogwarts with no capacity to feel any form of empathy, he must learn to survive.

Now this requires a bit of explanation. Given Voldemort's soul piece already inside Harry, we can say that it made Harry's soul slightly unstable. So one day perhaps when Marge comes over, Harry gets enraged enough that he loses control of his accidental magic and Marge end up dead in some sort of "accident". Now the accident happens in a way where it wont be obvious to the Dursley's that Harry's responsible. Perhaps Marge falls down and breaks her neck, maybe Vernon loses control of his car and crashes with Marge and Harry inside.

Now it is in character for the Dursleys to suspect Harry's involvement in something like this and as a result, in fanon they would begin to abuse and mistreat Harry even more. Starving him, kicking him out of the house, ect... Here the Dursleys being as normal as they are, are going to be too frightened to consider the idea of Harry's involvement. Perhaps sometimes in the middle of the night Vernon and Petunia will suspect what really happened but be too scared to expand on the idea or even mention it to each other.

Now when Marge is killed, a part of Harry's soul breaks off and latches onto the nearest thing. Say a necklace that Marge is wearing. Harry becomes aware of a connection he has with the necklace and pilfers it off of Marge's dead body. No one notices.

Rules

-No special powers, no great magical abilities, and certainly no crazy accelerated learning.

-Harry must be sorted into Slytherin.

-Dumbledore must quickly figure out Harry's psychopathic nature. However he cannot figure out the existence of Harry's accidental horcrux for at least five years after Harry comes to Hogwarts.

-Harry can be top student in some of his classes but not by a very wide margin.

-Harry wont be lazy but he wont be particularly hard working either. At least in the beginning.

-For Harry's first three years of Hogwarts, each year cannot take more then 20,000 words to go by (summers included)

-If Harry is paired with anyone, it CANNOT be because he has a romantic attachment to them.

-Other people's POVs can be written.

-This fic must have a noir feel to it.

-Finally the most important rule. The story should be character focused and driven as opposed to purely plot driven. I'm NOT saying that plot should take a backseat though.

-Harry's horcrux must affect Harry in some deeper more profound way then just causing him to lose his empathy.

An excellent exploration of the effects of Horcrux creation are written in this fic. Perhaps somewhat similar effects can be presented here.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Starting at the beginning, your first problem is your entire premise. I'm not too certain on this, but I think killing someone with the intent of placing a part of your soul into an object can't exactly be done accidentally.

That's like going up to the chicks father and saying "Hey, I didn't mean to rape her! It was an accident! I tripped... a few times."

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Yeah I probably should have clarified that. Harry wants her dead at the moment his accidental magic lashes out. However he doesn't intend for his soul to break apart. At this point he doesn't even know that's possible. According to canon it is possible to split your soul without intent or even being aware of it. That is what happened to Voldemort when he tried to kill Harry as a baby.

Now the reason this occurred to Voldemort was because his soul was already fucked up beyond reason with his multiple horcruxes. In this situation we can invent the explanation that Voldemort's horcrux in Harry destabilized Harry's soul enough for it to be able to split so easily.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's completely different. Voldemort went to kill Harry intending to create a horcrux, but his plan backfired when he cast the curse and a bit of his soul was torn off and simply latched on to the closest living thing (i.e. Harry). There are specific preparations you need to go through in order to create a horcrux, only one of which is splitting your soul through murder. Besides that, if I'm remembering this right, it has to be a cold blooded murder for the purpose of creating a horcrux, not a rage-induced killing.

5. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You could hand-wave the issue of the preparations for creating a Horcrux by playing on the fact that Harry is the only known living example of a human horcrux: you could shoot for the slightly AU angle and say that horcruxes are unstable in living creatures - his soul naturally fractured when he killed Marge.

The issue of the horcrux aside it's quite an interesting idea, and I like it frankly, although I don't see how the plot would differ from canon with any significance considering the many restrictions in the rules.

6. Stalin's Pipe Organs

None of what you just stated is actually canon. We don't know if Voldemort intended to make Harry a horcrux. As for the killing needing to be a cold blooded murder, that's from Denarian Lord, not canon. Also this:

In my head, I see this being completely different from canon. First three years are where nothing much is going to happen. But they're going to pass in less then 50k words. Furthermore whereas the focus in books 1-3 is on the stone, chamber, and Sirius, here everything will be focused on Harry's interest in finding out just what is wrong with him.

I can imagine many ways the early age horcrux creation would affect Harry. Smaller sleeping periods, a feeling of being empty, a dulled capacity to feel physical pain, et cetera. The mysteries in the first two books can be swept away as I don't see this Harry taking much interest in them. Maybe this Harry can interact with the diary and a lot of stuff can come from that. Perhaps a lot of drama can be written about Harry's dealings with his house mates. That would be interesting to read given that this would be the only Slytherin Harry who is NOT friends with Hermione.

As for after year three, Harry can stop going to Hogwarts, maybe start aspiring to be a dark wizard, maybe even join Voldemort. I can see this going a lot of ways really. Now none of what I had just wrote in this post are part of the rules. It's just the plot bunny in my head expanding on what could be done with this idea.

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I have to agree with this, even though I never read book 7 (and I won't, based on because the book sucks, imo), I never knew Voldemort intended to make Harry another Horcrux, nor was it written in the last 6 books.

In book 6, Albus theorized (though not proven to my knowledge), that Voldemort wanted to create his last Horcrux with Harry, but unfinished due to losing his body.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Why Harry's soul? Why wouldn't the accidental crux, remove the curse scar?
    How would it be affected? If at all?

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

There's three things this section is used for. One, the intended one, is 'here's an interesting story idea that can be done in many interesting ways, let's make a game of it and see who does it best'. That's a challenge. Another is 'here's a story idea I don't have the time or inclination to write'. That's usually called something along the lines of adoption, and that's fine too.

But the third is 'here's my story, I've dictated the entire path of it, except now instead of writing it myself I want someone else to write it to exactly my specifications and give me the credit'. As far as I know, there's no actual name for that, beyond 'being a twat'.

Besides, sociopath!Harry isn't anywhere near a new idea, which makes your list of demands ludicrous.

10. Stalin's Pipe Organs

I'm getting a bit of a plot bunny explosion in my head with this challenge so I myself am going to try to write (read: butcher) this idea.

11. Antivash

See. I don't think you're getting my point. Voldemort's last "accidental" Horcrux? That was him dying. His already torn soul leaving his body.

Your concept has one massive hole, namely everything. If you can't move past your opening idea without complete and utter rape of the laws governing reality, its kind of poor.

Now, if you wanted to truly not give a shit that its just a bad idea entirely and do a rewrite of the series with Harry having a horcrux, you could do evil Harry who has one or more getting beat, his things destroyed. To escape death, he jumps into a new universe/reality and hides out in 11 year old Harry. Purposefully or accidentally, his fragment could get absorbed into 11 year old whole.

Conflicting memories and what not... yeah... anyway...

12. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Wrong, Vash. :awesome

Voldemort's soul did leave his body, but a part of it found a cozy spot in Harry's body.

What this guy is trying to say, I think, is that in his idea, Harry would kill and have his soul torn because of the act, made even easier by the fact that Harry's body was being occupied by more than one soul; his and a piece of Voldemort's. The premise isn't bad. I could reason my way to that point.

But that's where the idea falls apart, IMO. If you're following canon, you must know that part of Voldemort's soul latched on to Harry because he was the only living being around. Had Harry died we don't know what that piece of soul would've done, because Voldemort's body had been destroyed.

In this case Harry would kill his aunt Marge and accidentally make a Horcrux, and one could even argue that that part of Voldemort's soul would help do that on purpose, because it would want the one with the power to kill him on his side, would want him Dark. But if there's no living being around, then what would happen?

- Part of Harry's soul could latch on to someone else, someone that was around the moment Marge dies (OP mentions a car crash, so Vernon would be an option)

- It could be Petunia if you do it in Privet Drive, or perhaps Dudley.

- Or in case there's no one around, then it could arguably latch on to an object.

These first two are logical posibilities, but it's very inconvenient to work around them. How would Harry carry around a fat-arse Dudley in Hogwarts, or Petunia, or Vernon? If you can work your way around this hole then I think you can pull it off.

In the last case you would have to kill Marge with no one being around. This could get awkward because Petunia and Vernon would suspect Harry had a hand in it. Maybe you can tweak the circumstances so that no one knows he's there. Again, this is unlikely. You are aiming for an eight-year-old Harry and an accidental killing, so nothing would be planned ahead of time.

It still is possible, I suppose.

If I were you though, I'd ditch this idea and come up with something else. It's not bad, mind you, it's just that smart readers would have a hard time of suspending disbelief and following the story, and you'd have to think this very thoroughly to make it work. Considering how many ways there are for this first scene to be a fail, I just don't think it's worth the effort.

13. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree with him. Dump the idea.

14. Antivash

Voldemort's soul did leave his body, but a part of it found a cozy spot in Harry's body.[/QUOTE]

... Way to say exactly what I just fucking said, douchebag.

Voldemort kills James and Lily. Voldemort tries to kill Harry and his curse backfires. He dies, and his soul leaves, but because of his killings and yadda, his soul torn. Part fled (The conscious "Voldemort", "Main," part), part (The horcrux bait) followed his curse back to Harry.Very much not what Voldemort intended.

Soooo essentially, what I said was right. You're just a dumbass.

HIM WHO?! Way to be specific, douche dribble.

15. Stalin's Pipe Organs

I'd like to say a big thank you to IdSayWhyNot and Antivash for pointing out both plotholes.

I had to do a bit of thinking but I believe I found a way to get around both of them; allowing Harry to make the horcrux and manage to get it attached to an inanimate object.

I've began writing the first chapter. Should be up tomorrow or at most the day after.

16. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Sorry, I meant I was agreeing with IdSay. Should have quoted that person first.

17. IdSayWhyNot

Not right, incomplete. :)

Start a thread in WBA and let's see how it goes.

18. Antivash

Well excuse the fuck out of me for thinking that the level of intelligence over here was high enough to extrapolate such a complex idea. Douche.

19. IdSayWhyNot

All is forgiven, Vash.