1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Standing for Weight-loss, Really?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Joe's Nemesis, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    I came across a website today that estimates at my weight, if I did nothing else but stand rather than sit while I work on my computer, I'd burn an extra 456 calories a day (8 hour day).

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? More importantly, before I spend the money re-arranging my office, what are some of the side-effects (back? feet?) My office sits on a second floor, so it's carpet on top of wood subfloor and wood beam.

My weight loss has stall of late, and I'm trying to make all the changes I can keep doing consistently in my life before I start adding things like exercise (which I'm never consistent at).

2. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

If you get a standing desk and stretch a few times a day you can really improve your posture.

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    I only have a stool here at work, so typically I stand up. Otherwise, I end up stretching every fifteen seconds to relieve the tension in my back. Even as we speak, I'm standing up and typing, and my back is bloody killing me, but its 10x better than that stool.

As for whether it helps or hurts weight loss, I couldn't tell you, and I'm rail thin to start with. Standing will certainly improve your posture, especially if you can continue to remind yourself not to slouch when you do have to sit down.

4. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

Treadmill Desks are a thing, though not a very big thing. You can find some youtube videos / reviews regarding it in addition to the various companies suggesting it.

I have a treadmill and while I don't use it as a desk, if I want to read a novel these days I usually make myself walk while reading for a while.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I stand (and walk) 8/9 hours a day during work, so I'll sit when I home.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If standing at rest pumps your resting heart rate up 5 BPM, it should technically be possible to burn an extra 400 to 500 cals in a 9 hour period. So yes.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've a couple of desks with a motorized raising thingee that lets me choose to work while sitting or standing. I toggle a few times a day.

Sitting or standing, I wear compression socks (I've inherited crap circulation from my mother) and walk around every half hour or so. Also, when I can close my door and slip out of my shoes, I'll occasionally get out an Airex Balance Pad and work while balancing on one leg.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

I'd kill for a standing workstation, and I have no doubt I'd be a lot healthier if I'd had one for the past two decades.

Alas, I didn't even know such a thing existed until a few years ago.

FYI: They say walking is one of the best things you can do to keep your mind sharp in your elder years. You don't do a lot of conscious thinking about it, but balancing is a lot of work, mentally.

9. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

I have a standing desk. It's surprisingly tiring to stand all day - and experts recommend no more than half the day be spent standing in one spot.

Me, being the lazy ass I am, just sit most of the time anyway.

10. Download

Download Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Before I got laid off we had office fights over standing desks. Quite a few of the guys in the office wanted one so they were snapped up as soon as we got them in.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I stand for almost all of my 8-12 hour shifts and I'm still putting on weight.

I would not bank on this approach.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    A standing desk is such a strange idea to me. If I'm at a desk, I want to sit down. If I need to get up, I'll go to the bathroom or something.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm with @Seratin on this one. I did retail work for a couple of years and never lost weight, even when I was running around and carrying heavy objects all day.

14. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Regardless you shouldn't bank on exercise as a weight loss strategy. Much more important what you're putting in that than how much you're exercising.

Bear in mind as you lose weight your maintenance calorie requirement also falls and so plateauing is bound to happen if you're not making adjustments.

15. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog High Inquisitor

It'll cost you extra calories per day, at the rate of roughly 50 per hour, so 400 calories in 8 hours. So thats about a pound every 2 weeks.

As for the toll it takes:
    If you stand without good ergonomics, its harder on the body than sitting. Your back may cramp, your neck may ache, etc. You also NEED good footwear, and probably to stand on a rubber mat or at least carpet. If you have good ergonomics though, it tends to promote better posture than sitting.
    Real risks: If you lock your knees for too long of a time, you can pass out. If you have bad circulation, the gravity effect will worsen. If you have scoliosis, the gravity effect will worsen. If you have spondylolisthesis, the gravity effect will worsen. If you have plantar fascitis, you will hate yourself very badly. If you have POTS, that would also be a good way of probably passing out.

Also as Oz says, diet is the real key to weight loss, as 400 calories a day is wiped out by someone bringing in donuts.

Oz