1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jan 30, 2020.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1st episode is out!

Not super thrilled that we'll be getting yet another serialized sort of show, but I like what they're doing plotwise, and I'm already enjoying it more than Discovery. The central arc seems like it will pull heavily from one of the best TNG episodes, and I look forward to what they do with that.

Old man Picard is a joy to watch. He is certainly less active and less expressive just due to Patrick Stewart's age, but the sense of solemnity and gravitas that characterized all of Picard's best TNG moments is there in force. Perhaps more so now that he is the wearied regretful Admiral rather than the brash Captain.

Dahj/Soji... I dunno. Too early to pass judgement on her, but the actress as Dahj was painfully over-emoting in literally every scene. Hopefully she'll have better acting direction / dialogue as Soji.

2. Nerox

Nerox Professor

I am really interested in seeing where they go with
    the 'rogue' AIs/androids and Data or his succession
    Those plot thread is came way too short in all the series before.

All in all, good first episode, excited for more.

3. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched it last week on Amazon Prime. Second episode has been out for 2 days. Haven't watched it yet.

As someone that hasn't really watched Star Trek ever, apart from the last few movies, which I thought were pretty shit tbh, this was enjoyable. Don't love it yet ,but could come too.

4. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, episode two got me a lot more interested in this than I was. Looking forward to ep 3 now.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm cautiously optimistic. They're walking a fine balance of making actual use of established plot points and doing their own thing, and Stewart is still extremely fun to watch.

TNG has a really special place in my heart so I almost didn't want to watch this in case I hated it, but I really didn't.

I just hope they don't make Picard's age a joke. Like, yeah, obviously you have to address it and obviously he can't be running around doing backflips, but to me Captain Picard is pretty much the definition of gravitas and "tea, earl grey, decaf" is about the most I can stand in terms of undermining that.

As long as the story builds towards him being that, in whatever way it makes sense for him to be commanding 20 years later, I'll be happy. If it's about him accepting his limitations and/or raging against the dying of the light, fuck that, that might even be an interesting story but I don't want it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Seratin

Seratin SwoleTroll ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In many respects he's a much softer character in this and I'm glad they've went that way and not down the crotetchy old lad route. He still has anger and some bitterness but his principles are clearly defined, classic Picard.

He's not the presence he was in TNG but that's to be expected and I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get at least one scene in the series that brings that back a little.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Amazon just paid me five bucks to watch Star Trek. I like my life.

Is he, though? The running theme so far is confronting Picard with his arrogance and entitlement in the face of his failings -- from the meeting in the Starfleet HQ, to Raffi, to the Romulans; he's assumes gratefulness and receives (rightful) scorn. I guess this is the flipside of moral rightenousness -- as the Romulan (I think) remarked, he tried to save everyone, and when he couldn't, saved none.

But regardless, I rather like this approach. If nothing else, it gives him a clear character arc and room to grow, even after all these years.

I also saw some comments ranting about how this isn't ST because it's not an utopia anymore. It's indeed darker than anything except perhaps DS9, and lol at that scene to open episode 5. That certainly wouldn't fly for my ten-year-old self, but then, it's kinda like growing up alongside with ST. Today, I like the setup a lot. And fuck me sideways I bet Jeri Ryan paid to be in the series. Badass!Seven blasting her way through the universe to get revenge? Yes please.

[​IMG]

9. Seratin

High Score:
    Again I've only watched two episodes but honestly if Picard doesn't come out of the end of this having saved the Federation from some shit so they can properly laud him then I'll riot.

He's fucking Picard.

10. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These fuckers killed Icheb. What the fuck.

11. Seratin

High Score:
    I just caught up with episode five and as a Voyager fan I am completely not okay with this.

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I mean, Seven's enhancements looked a little... gummy. Still, the show has been enjoyable overall.

13. Seratin

High Score:
    Yeah, it's weird that they actually regressed in regards to the props used to represent her Borg leftovers, I thought that several times.

Her character though is great. Throughout Voyager we see Seven become more emotional, more Annika. In Picard she's 80% badass human with traces of her old Borg habits.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There are definitely aspects of the show I like, but I really don't care for the overall tone and general feeling of "Not Star Trek." When we got to the point where Romulan warrior-nuns were training master swordsmen, I found myself wondering if whoever wrote the episode just saw the pointy ears and assumed they were Space Elves.

Aesthetic issues like that aside, my biggest complaint is that the Federation in Picard just feels too different from the Federation in any other show (well maybe it's like that in STD, but I haven't caught much of that). Too many things changed with too little in the way of explanation. I also feel like it's being way too transparent in trying to do commentary on modern events, which is odd since that kind of thing is a long-standing staple of Trek. Maybe it's because the old Trek series did that with a Planet/Crisis of the Week, not a season-long arc that completely altered the entire setting. "Orange Man Bad! Brexit Bad!" could make for good Planet of the Week episode or even a two-parter, but as a season-long arc it's wearying.

Also, it's a total pet peeve, but shows on streaming services really need to get over the fact that they're allowed to say "fuck" when it's not on network TV. Having all the characters go "fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck" in a Star Trek show does not make it feel "modern" or "mature." It makes me feel like the dialogue was written by a twelve-year-old edgelord.