1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VIII (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Red Aviary, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think I remember one of the producers (or someone like that) saying this is the movie that will let you know why people are so afraid of Vader. I'm personally hoping we get some action like in the Darth Vader comics lately - he's freaking brutal in some of those, and that would really set the tone nicely here too.

2. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nuts to that, it's Donnie Yen. If anyone can do kung fu in Star Wars, he can.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It could be non-canon now, but Vader's injuries did weaken him in the Force. Sidious would have a lot harder time controlling him otherwise, though he was disappointed that his student's potential was greatly diminished.

As for the Rogue One, I like the retro feeling it has, but I'm unsure about the main character. Few scenes establishing her were like all these HP fics where the author try way too hard to make Harry cool and badass, only to make it all feel fake.

I love what Kieron Gillen is doing in his solo series. Rarely someone can make such an engaging story with a proper villain as the main lead.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just watched this trailer, and wow I'm super pumped. More pumped than I was for Episode VII.

New protagonist looks interesting. Rey was really just the vanilla Star Wars protagonist - appropriate for her role, but nothing special. Don't get to see many of the violent, cocky female characters in Hollywood cinema in general.

Despite all my disappointments with Episode VII, one thing it did give me confidence in is Disney's ability to make all those iconic ships epic and I feel like Rogue One will be worth it just to see the Death Star and the Imperial Navy in all its glory.

And despite all the familiar faces, places and setting, the trailer seems to give it a completely different feel to any other Star Wars movie. Probably because of the non-Jedi main character.

If Vader actually appears in all his invincible and terrifying glory I will cream my pants.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A first photo showing Rey training hard under Luke's guidance.

[​IMG]

6. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could a Mod please split Rogue One talk into it's own thread?

I didn't expect to think much of that trailer, even after loving TFA, but I'm really excited now. Peter North your harem suggestion is the worst idea on so many levels and I'm worried that you meant it :|

Space Donnie Yen should be great as well.

I just watched TFA again last night, only my second viewing. Very good still.

7. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I can assure you that I was being sarcastic. You seem to have had a problem with a couple of my posts so far.:facepalm

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  9. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Which probably means that they're going to try to copy Empire strikes back and Luke is going to die, leaving marey sue to be the last jedi. Don't have high expectations for this movie tbh.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine we'll be getting a trailer for the Super Bowl.

EDIT: Since "Jedi" can refer to both one or several, it might be referring to both Luke and Rey rather than one or the other.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  11. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Yeah realized this after posting. Language differences exist.

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Or it could be referring to Luke being the last of the Jedi at the start of the film, or any number of other things.

13. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

The red coloring of Star Wars definitely makes it seem like this is going to be the "dark" one of the trilogy.

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
  15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

"It is time for the Jedi to end."

What did Luke mean by this?

16. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The whole thing in the Star Wars franchise is bringing balance to the force. Maybe in order to truly bring balance both Jedi and Sith must be destroyed.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Well, at least two of the four Sith/Sith-like figures that Luke definitely knows about (Palpatine, Vader, Kylo Ren and Snoke) are Jedi who turned evil - maybe he's come to the conclusion that if there's no Jedi around, then the Sith will eventually die out too? Which doesn't seem particularly logical to me, but you never know.
    Alternatively, given that he's clearly training Rey in some of those shots, that line presumably comes later in the film, in which case it probably relates to some twist we'll find out when we watch it.

Edit: fair point from Peter North, although...

George Lucas always said that, to him, balance meant no Sith, but plenty of Jedi, which doesn't make a lick of sense tbh. Whether they're sticking with that now he's out of the picture, who knows?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Shinysavage

Unless he's training her in the Force, but not in the Jedi ways?

19. Shinysavage

High Score:
    That's an interesting thought. More of a metaphorical end than literal? Definite possibility, and has some roots in the old EU, which would be cool.

20. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

1: By all merits, this was an incredible teaser. It put across the tone perfectly, as well as hinting at enough scenes to get me hyped for the (quality of) the movie. Personally though, I feel as though it lacked some of the spark that the first TFA trailer did.

2: That scene of Rey running at 1:26- I am terrified that it will be her attacking Ben to get vengeance for Luke's death. However, after that last, incredible line, I feel as though it could be something different entirely.

3: With Kylo with his Lightsaber drawn at 1:19, I feel as though Luke might be using the Force to keep it in place. It appears as though Ben is trying to force it into movement, and the cinematography and Ren's expression don't match a death scene.

4: 1:30 (AKA my new screen saver) is, in my opinion, Luke looking at the ruins of his Jedi academy. He's to late to save his students, causing him to exile himself. Like others, I feel as though this traumatised Luke to such an extent he lost all hope. He forced himself into believing that he HAS to be the last Jedi, and him coming around from that will be his arc for the film.