1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stargate: Universe

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I have noticed that there is really no official thread for SGU, like other shows have. So this is it. Anything relating to SGU can go here.

Recently there has been confirmation of Richard Dean Anderson guest-starring for some half-dozen episodes, as well as Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping, and Gary Jones having cameo appearances.

I wouldn't rule out Beau Bridges or Robert Picardo showing up either, given their charcters' positions.

I'm always happy to see more of Jack and Daniel, and it actually makes since that they'd appear on SGU, given Jack's position at Homeworld Security and Daniel's the leading expert on anything Ancient.

Another bit of news: Apparently one of the female leads on SGU (Ming-Na's character, Camille Wray) will be a lesbian.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Hmm... It sad to see SGC go... but hey I wonder if they'll include small easter eggs that hint at what it used to be...

4. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

The structural buildin is till the same kinda, so it will still kinda look like the SGC but with a face lift.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I think they'll restructure the set back to the SGC for the SG1 movies. They'd kind of have to.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Plus, no doubt Universe is going to want sets on Earth at some point. They're obviously gonna sell out and allow contact with Earth ridiculously early in the series (unlike, say, Voyager).

7. malaga

malaga Auror

I don't know. Reading through the wiki page, it all sounds a little over-optimistic in the way of breaking 'new-ground', darker, more depressing, etc. Personally, I don't think it'll last more than two seasons, and that long only because the fanboys will attach themselves to the Stargate name with all the usual fervour.

I might watch a couple of episodes, but I'm an Atlantis fan all the way, so the fact that they haven't planned and Flannigan or Hewlett cameos isn't a plus.

8. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh that trailer actually looked amazingly better than I was expecting, Ill admit my interest is peaked, if they could throw in Joe Flannigan and Rachel Luttrel somehow Im satisfied.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..You can tell it's aimed at a 'younger' audience by the music at the end. ~_~

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  11. talon

talon Squib

The trailer looks pretty good. I'm finally glad they decided to upgrade their EVA suits. It got a little ridiculous with the new tech/old tech clash in SG1.

12. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I'm tired of all the LED's they put around to make it look high tech.
    That and the stupid XPS dell laptop.

Otherwise yeah... that is a bitchin trailer. If I didn't know better I would think it was for a movie.

Is anyone else getting a battlestar galactica vibe from the trailer. That scientist dude who came with oneil totally gave off a baltar feel.

13. neren

neren Slug Club Member

The scientist guy, is he from 28 Weeks Later?

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was just discussing this with my flatmate when I found this thread. I'm not totally sure about this series. As a major fan of the original series I just don't know if this is going to be good enough to stand alongside it. It does have Robert Carlyle in it, so it can't be that bad, but the trailer just looks as though its going to be partially over the top and partially really really gritty, and won't manage to find a comfortable middle ground.

15. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It reminds of me of Stargate meets Star Trek Voyager. The thing I loved most about Stargate was the technology involved and a vision of a future which wasn't so bad for humanity.

16. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Yeah, Robert Carlyle.

I loved SG-1 until it jumped the shark and started being about the Ori and all that Arthurian shit. I completely adored Atlantis and was really upset to see it cancelled. I'm trying really hard to get excited over Universe, but the thing is... there's not all that much for me to get excited about. There's nothing to draw me in and make me care about these people. SG-1 I can get behind, because they're based on Earth and defending us from the bad guys. Atlantis I can get behind, because even though they're based in a different galaxy they have frequent contact with Earth and the main story arc for the series is stopping the Wraith from using Earth as an all you can eat buffet.

This new series doesn't seem like it'll have any of that. The major selling point is that they're stranded and cut off from Earth, stuck on their little ship billions of light years away. It's essentially Star Trek Voyager in the Stargate universe, which is another series I had real trouble getting into for much the same reason.

I'll still watch the first few episodes out of some misguided sense of loyalty. Voyager eventually grew on me, so maybe this will too.

17. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

It is going to take some fine writing and acting to keep the series going.
    I would never have signed off (as a tv exec) on this series if it wasn't part of the star gate series. I predict shark jumping within two years.

But what do I know?

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Same shit was said about Atlantis.
    Lol. Damn, I hated that show.

But you are probably right. Who knows.

19. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I liked Atlantis once the actors grew into their roles and stopped trying to emulate the original SG1 cast, they hold their own in the Stargate universe as a decent part, much better than the Ori series of SG1, I can see Universe struggling for it's first series, they need to distance them selfs from the other shows but stay close enough related to the other series that we see how all three shows intertwince with each other.

Interaction between all three series is key to actually evolving the stargate universe as a series of shows, not just spin-offa, but different aspects of what is going on in the show.

20. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Eh... I'll probably watch the first few episodes the Rush guy intrigues me simply for this line

"Looks like we've entered the Hoth system."

Gets a look from everyone.

"Empire Strikes Back..."