1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Story Search: Hero Out of Context Crossover Stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Caliiro, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Story Content: Story Search: Hero Out of Context Crossover Stories
    Caliiro

Caliiro Squib

Hero Out of Context!

A Crossover Story Search
    [[If this is a repost, I apologize, let me know and I'll remove it.]]

I've developed a bit of a fascination for a certain story trope. The closest trope that I could find to it on TV tropes would be 'Hero out of Context' and essentially the way it works is that; It's a crossover where Harry enters the world as a distinctly separate and alien entity, and isn't amalgamated with it. More importantly it typically requires that Harry be somewhat proficient with magic, if not a fully fledged wizard with all that Voldemort business behind him.

This isn't to say that Harry's abilities cannot later be integrated with the existing lore of the universe to explain how they work, but he should still have typical generic magic at his disposal. It's also rather important that he remain as Harry Potter in mentality if not in name, implying that he shouldn't merely be absorbed into the universe in the place of a main character, or someone's heretofore unmentioned sibling.

A few Examples

Brown Coat Green Eyes: [[By Nonjon]] This is a very good example of the trope in question. Harry comes into the story as a full fledged wizard of some renown, and maintains his identity as a wizard throughout, though in this story, Harry's heritage actually alters the perception of the Firefly universe so that's a bit of a subversion.

Lost Magic: First Contact: [[By MightyFish]] A very new, and well evolving example. For those unfamiliar with the story, Harry is hit by a spell in the department of mysteries that essentially traps him in time and he essentially sleeps through the end of the wizarding world at the hands of the pureblood conspiracy. He awakens in the ruins of the Ministry of magic and walks through the dusty ruins of the wizarding world to find out about what'd happened to his people and then emerges from it to find himself in the futuristic world of the mass effect universe. Very interesting in that it takes place way before the actual games during the first contact war.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: [[By kathryn518]] Whilst a good example of the trope, I've found myself drifting away from it due to the foreshadowing of some truly odd ideas. Essentially the story is about Harry that ends up in the Star Wars Universe some how. From elements in the story telling it seems that he's chasing after Voldemort, though the author has been a bit circumspect in Harry's Motivations and History so far, the story currently more heavily focused on Ahsoka Tano's perceptions. Story wise, the story basically starts when Ahsoka finds herself in an untenable position in a bar, and she is saved from almost certain death or slavery at the hands of Harry who uses his magic to both save and astound the young Jedi.

Harry Potter: Geth: [[By mjimeyg]] Interesting addition, the story sort of works. Hermione casts a spell upon harry that she really, really shouldn't have and it displaces him through time to the homeworld of the geth. About 60 kms up. He barely survives the fall, and is re-assembled by the Geth so that they can use him as a mouthpiece. Harry does essentially take the place of Legion in the story, but the changes are so far reaching that it doesn't really matter much. Harry retains his magic and there's a good bit of universe melding in later chapters where Harry essentially discovers how his world evolved into the Mass Effect Universe, but over all very good.

Preferences:

I'm not really all that fussy, I'll take whatever suggestions that you lot feel like offering up. I'm fine with straight fics or slash fics, though I would prefer that either not be too explicit, or at least that if there's smut that it doesn't take up entire chapters. I do prefer to read stories that are a touch longer, most of the stories that I've consumed are over the sixty thousand word range.

Thanks for all the help, and I hope that I can look forward to reading your responses.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  2. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

First off, thank you for your interest. We have decided to not proceed with your application, please reapply for any future positions.

Secondly, I hear you like tropes?

Really though mate, the quality of post is appreciated compared to others and I don't want to know how many times you proof read it before you got to your final version, but loosen up a little? It's only story search on DLP. I feel like I'm sitting down to have tea with you after reading that post.

Shitposting aside (my bad) check out any of the numerous crossover threads (here, here, here, or basically just search the Story Search thread, those three examples are from the first three pages alone), it might require a little effort on your part to find exactly what you want but since your asking it of others maybe put it in yourself? :D

So... non-integration. Sorry if these don't fit your bill exactly for non-integration but these are just from memory. The first one to come to my mind that you didn't post is:
    Plus these:

...and I'm out. That's about all I can do for now, sleep to be had, but there is plenty of more stories to be found in the aforementioned threads that fit your bill.

Enjoy your Tetley.