1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Story where Harry/Draco are friends?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Scott, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I know this doesn't fit into the DLP criteria but there has to be a decent story or 2 that has Harry/Draco as friends.

No Slash
    No Harry/Ginny

2. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Well, most of the Slytherin!fic fics tend to lead towards Harry and Malfoy being friends (and slash, unfortunately), although I'd probably say the best example of Harry and Malfoy being friends was 'They Shook Hands', by Dethryl. Admittedly, that fic is not to everyone's taste, and parts of it get gutwrenchingly annoying, but it's a decent, well-written read, and since Dethryl's already on the fourth book in the series, odds are he's not going to stop anytime soon. Link's on Fictionalley... right here

3. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I stopped reading 'They Shook Hands' when Harry and Slytherin co started to target the Grffindors for no reason.

Harry may do a lotta things but he should not be a bully.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

The Sword of Gryffindor series features Harry and Draco as freinds, they hate the shit out of each other, but they're friends. It's also Harry/Hermione, IIRC- I forget where it was going after it took forever for the third or fourth book to update.

You can find it on HPFF, or a google search, cbf to look it up now. I think the first book is called the Solidaus(es) Charm.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was actually recommended here I believe. That fic was just confusing as hell, interesting however.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Check out the RSeries by Regulus - which are completed by the way.
    They are quite the read, though I stopped reading after "The Citadel of Azkaban". Lost interest, I guess too much angst and Draco slowly turning into the main character were just some of the problems.

8. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Meh. R-Series is well written, but Harry was just too damn evil for my liking.

As for friend!Draco, look at Aduro's Code Trilogy, in which, due to certain events, Harry and Draco become quite friendly after the second story.

Then there is Come What May, which has Draco and Harry becoming friends after one of Dumbledore's plans goes well. A sequel is likely to the completed story.

Finally, there is Anything's Possible, which has a very slow developing friendship that doesn't really pan out until Harry and Draco go Horcrux hunting. Chapter 40 is win, in my opinion. Unfortunately, updates are outpaced by continental drift.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Anything's Possible looks like a H/G story? I just can't do Harry/Ginny at all :/ but I'll check out the others.

Also I've reading the Rseries right now (well trying to) on the first fic but meh I might have to just skip through it til fic 3 or something

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Magical Relations is pretty decent, though I stopped reading this a while ago, so I can't say if it's still good.

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

A Year Like None Other and its sequels, by Aspen in the Sunlight, feature a redeemed!Snape who adopts both Harry and Draco. They become both brothers and best friends. The first fic of the series is in the library, and it's a pretty good read if you can stand all the hurt/comfort. I quit reading somewhere in the second fic when the plot stalled and Harry began cutting himself. The writer excels at characterization, but the angst is off the charts and the plot proceeds at a glacial pace. I have no idea what happens in the third fic.

http://archive.skyehawke.com/authors.php?no=781

12. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Just type in Harry/Draco in FF.net's search engine. You might even add Soul-bond and Veela for better results. I'm sure you'll find something good!

Seriously though, what about that story titled The Founders' Heir? Isn't Harry and Draco quite chummy in that one or is my memory playing tricks with little me again?

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I know a lot of people here don't like it, but Cassandra Claire's Draco Trilogy has a sort of semi-friendship between Harry and Draco. You might have a bit of trouble finding it since the author removed her fanfiction works from the internet, but some people still have it if you look hard enough.

Barb's Psychic Serpent series has a somewhat similar relationship between Harry and Draco in the second (?) book, but it's Harry/Ginny. That being said, it IS one of the best-written fanfiction works out there, despite the crappy ship.

14. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
  15. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I remember actually enjoying this, despite it being nothing like my usual fare. I do not generally go for stories with excessive angst or Harry/Draco/Snape friendship, but I remember this one being extremely long, but pretty decent.

16. raesive

raesive First Year

You should try rereading. Harry is definitely NOT a bully, and if you had kept with it a little longer you would have seen him stand up for himself. This really is a great fic! Especially if you're looking for a realistic Harry/Draco friendship.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Lost Hope by Adari is another where Harry and Draco get along. It's a little weird, but certainly readable.

18. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

In many Slytherin Harry fics where Harry befriends Draco, he instantly turns into a asshole rivaling Dudley or Vernon Dursley. The last one I read, The Simplicity of Slytherin (or something to that affect), had Harry practicing Avada Kedavra in the first year and chumming up to all the 'Pureblood Elite!' ideals of the most nasty young Slytherins.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry is fairly close to being a bully in canon, you know. He's not far off James Potter at all. Just less deliberate. But yeah, he's not a very nice person at all. He's the "popular" kid in the year who is the trendsetter and natural leader, even though everyone secretly thinks he's a cock (American jock).

20. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Stories I'm following where Harry and Draco are friendly:

The Best Revenge by Arsinoe de Blassenville (this is the only Mentor!Snape I've ever read past the summary. It's pretty good)

Oh God Not Again! by Sarah1281 is a redo story in the style of Nonjon/Rorschach's Blot where Harry and Draco are friendly. No ship so far, although H/G is not out of the question.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009