1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Surefoot, by Surefoot - Star Trek

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Shouldabeenadog, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Title: Surefoot
    Author: Surefoot
    Rating: R for violence, sexual content (no smut)
    Fandom: Star Trek, occupying the time before and now into the Dominion war.
    Genre: Drama, Character focused
    Pairings: All OCs.
    Summary: A Caitian Captain takes on the role of teaching a new class of soon-to-graduate cadets on a series of simple supply runs. This being Star Trek, several things go wrong.
    Link: http://usssurefoot.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-universe-had-other-plans.html

Star trek to me is optimism, morality, and finding ways to become better for yourself. While this is more true for Original, TNG, Voyager, and the first half of DS9, there are certainly counterpoints to be made in DS9, and especially the new series. This story is tries to have both, the serialization and longer story arcs of later trek, and the more positivity and optimism, set against a more realistic perspective on trauma. It veers back and forth between them, trying and succeeding to keep a balance between them.

Highlights:
    1)Its good trek- it has character drama, it has teachable moments, it has plenty of unresolved sexual tension (and many times resolved sexual tension), it has space battles and away missions and junior officers getting in over their head and older officers wrestling with their morals and choices.
    2) Each chapter reads like a single episodes, with more focus on the characters than the story for a large portion of it.
    3) Psychology plays a large roll. We see trauma, we see the impact of trauma, and we see how hard healing is, and that it is never complete. Sometimes this goes into saturday afternoon specials levels of explaining what different traumas are, but nothing really overstays a welcome.
    4)Its funny. It has cute one liners and moments of embarrassment and other areas of lightheartedness that again, fit the Star Trek mold.
    5) It runs in parallels to canon. Our focus is not on the best warship in the fleet, but a supply ship. People do great deeds but it doesn't turn this into an AU or change the course of the war. The focus on cadets and turning those cadets into good officers keeps the scope and scale small.
    6)Remember when we would read fanfic on someone's blog? the 90s are back baby!

4.5/5. It has enough flaws to keep me from giving it a 5/5, but I haven't had a chapter I hated, and the Occupation arc had me staying up for hours to try to reach its conclusion.