1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Symbolism in the Schools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Averis, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had a random thought about the Harry Potter series today and ever since it has been bothering me. This may have been discussed before somewhere, but I'm relatively new to this, so please don't curse me too strong if this has come up before:

In fanfiction it seems that Durmstrang is often portrayed as a school for Dark wizard-kind or at least a strong promoter of Pure-blooded wizardry. Yet in GoF out of all the fine young hunnies Hogwarts has to offer, he asks a muggleborn witch with a strong pro-muggleborn stance to the Yule Ball.

Then it hit me; could it be possible that each school has a dominant view on bloodlines?

Durmstrang, a school with a Death-Eater as headmaster and which apparently teaches many Pure-blood wizards, out of which many become Dark wizards. So this school is pre-dominantly Pure-blood.

Beauxbatons, a school that has a Half-giant for a headmaster and their most popular witch is a quarter-Veela. This school seems to be a safe haven for people of mixed blood and presumably Half-bloods and Muggleborns.

Hogwarts is the school that will take all sorts be it Remus Lupin with his furry little problem, or Hagrid the half-giant wizard, or Hermione Granger the muggleborn witch, or Draco Malfoy and his wealthy, Pure-blooded attitudes.

Also looking at Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, Krum had a relationship with muggleborn Hermione and Fleur is getting married to a man who has recently been bitten and disfigured by a werewolf.

There has to be something there that she's trying to tell us, right?

Either that or I'm high. If so, disregard this message.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hmm, you know, that's interesting. One other thing you should notice is that, even though Draco Malfoy sang praises to Durmstrong's dark arts program numerous times, Lucius never actually sent him there. Could it be that they are more accepting of dark creatures and mudbloods than at Hogwarts? Maybe the only thing they value is skill and power - which is why Malfoy Snr. chose a school where he could get his boy anything he needs thanks to his seat at the board of governors.

As for Beauxbatons, I think it's pretty obvious that it hasn't been confirmed that Maxime had giant blood; In fact she had been vehemently denying it when Hagrid made a connection. Considering that no one ever realized Hagrid was half-giant as well, it's safe to assume that such half-breeds are so rare that they aren't outright shunned simply because common people don't know how to spot them.

On that note, something else becomes apparent about Maxime; She must be one hell of a politician if she managed to keep such a prestigious position while keeping her secret. She must be either blackmailing, threatening or cajoling anyone who might possibly have a motive to reveal her ancestry (like teachers at her school, board members, etc...); there's no other explanation.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might be onto something, but I don't think you're expressing it quite right.

Firstly, Hogwarts I think is very representative of British society, it ignores that which is distasteful. That is why there is such a mix of folk there. Hermione is pro-muggleborn, but its not like she ever gets a forum to express her views to any great extent. Just like Malfoy never gets a great forum for his opposite views. Hogwarts tries to ignore the problems of the outside world, in hopes that it won't be affected by the.

There isn't enough information to accurately judge on the other schools, but personally I've always viewed Beauxbatons as a very very feminist school. Symbolism in the gigantic female headmistress? The fact that the few male representatives in GoF are described as something like "Weak and whimpy", or perhaps I'm getting those words from a fanfiction, but its certainly the impression given in the book.

And certainly Durmstrang has always struck me as the opposite, highly masculine, very strong and direct.

There is probably a message about the inability of racism/prejudice etc to last forever or something.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe JKR was just having a stab at the French with the Beauxbaton men :p. Cause everyone knows that Frenchmen are the epitome of wimpy (Sorry Tinn :p). The only way canon Harry could become any more of a pussy was if he was French (again, Sorry Tinn :D).

/sarcasm

Aekiel