1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Sympathetic magic

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by entropy843, Apr 1, 2020.

1. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

Title:Sympathetic magic
    Author:Is269
    Genre:Romance/(not sure)
    Pairings:Severus/Lily and all the other canon pairings
    Link https://www.devianta******/ls269/journal/Published-Stories-789163131(full version deviant art)
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/7953760/chapters/18189718(incomplete version on AO3)
    Summary:
    "The story follows Severus and Lily through their last two years at Hogwarts, but it's also focused on the Marauders, Narcissa and Lucius, Regulus Black, Poppy Pomfrey, and lots of OCs. No characters are really hated, except, I guess, for Bellatrix. It's AU, but I think quite respectful towards J.K Rowling's plots and characters. It gets extremely caught up in the emotional world of the characters, and can spend whole chapters in symbolic landscapes representing their souls (I'm not sure if that's really selling it, but it's the truth!) "-----from the author's note on AO3

This is an fairly interesting AU.Some things deviate from the canon. However,it's still a very decent read. All of our canon characters are likeable in their own way and fleshed-out. In spite of being an AU,their personalities stick quite closely to the canon. For example,Snape hates to see James get Lily as much as or more than he wants Lily himself. This Lily is surprisingly likeable instead of being a saint or a cheap whore or two-dimensioned.It also has amazing ocs like a muggles nicknamed bruiser who was owned by Rosier for the muggle ring.

The plot is decent as well. Many events and action happened in the duration of two years.There're also many alternate futures presenting there. One of this futures is the canon. This future is told by a woman who is obsessed with dementors and knows Snape's possible future through them.

(I am probably committing suicide again.But life will be dull without committing suicide every now and then.)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Fix your formatting please. Its just a text wall.

3. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

fixed it.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anyone read this that cares to give it a bit more attention and review it so it can be properly sorted?

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Eclectic comments:
    • You never travel by floo in pairs.... okay, then why did they just do that? It would've only taken a second longer to go one at a time.
    • Why doesn't Lily have her apparation license if she's seventeen already?
    • There are sombreros in Britain?
    • Malfoy's at least like 20 years older than Lily. Why would he be talking to her? Would she really have heard of him, even?
    • Describing someone on first glance as a muggle seems weird. It's like 'vegan' or something; of course there are going to be some people who would say 'well of course you can tell that on first glance', but it makes more sense to say man or woman
    • Weird tense shifts
    • That's a long time to be holding tea before you're aware of it. Maybe it was lukewarm already.
    • I don't think I like Madam Pomfrey calling Lily 'little girl', not as an insult.
    • Is white hunter a term like white knight?
    • You can lose your scholarship to Hogwarts?
    • Lily's words and actions seem to contradict what she's thinking.
    • They stand around in front of Snape a long time for people with no time on their hands.
    • Fuck, now Lily's calling Madam Pomfrey by her first name.
    • Why do we switch between capitalizing and not capitalizing healer?
    • Why is Lily getting injured frequently?
    • How did James even know she was in the Hospital Wing?
    • 'frustration was etched in every syllable' Really? All two of them?
    • You're having Snape talk about literal fashion statements of all things.
    Okay, so the grammatical errors weren't terrible, nor were the things that generally clash with good written communication, so it was quite legible. It was of a bearable length for something that isn't interesting.

There seemed to be consistent hints that at some point, Lily would give up on Snape, so this takes place... before that? Doesn't she canonically give up on him before this? Whatever; I suppose it could be stretched and squeezed into the canon. She and James are acting the same as they did in fifth year, so that's not what happened, but this all goes under the monothematic dumb decision of pairing Lily with Snape, a jerk who hangs out with Death Eaters.

I actually liked the OC. She seems like a realistic take on the situation; someone who doesn't really care about how the war ends because it's more than her job's worth.

What I don't get is the point of introducing her. Is this version of Lily just going to go out and be a Healer in the war? I guess she doesn't have to worry about marrying James and having a kid. That said, I don't get the point of the story at all, so that's another point off.

2/5.

Halt: Edited for spacing and readability. Do better next time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2020
  6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I think you missed the Enter key about 50 times.

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Story is... decently written? But's it's quite slow. The entire first chapter is just Snape describing what he's seeing on platform 9 and 3/4ths, with the briefest of interactions with Lily, and a lot of mopey longing. It also does a weird tense switch to omniscient 3rd person halfway through.

"No Slytherin had ever set foot in it, because ethics were inconvenient things to the ambitious. "

I'm sorry but not one of these supposedly ambitious kids saw the value of appearing ethical? So not only does it fall into the trap of "everyone in a House is one dimensional", it also fails to actually make them have more than 2 brain cells.

Quite a lot of said-adverb pairs.

Prose is nothing spectacular, if readable. The real issue is that 6 chapters in of light skimming, I'm still bored. Unless you're really invested in this pairing, there's not going to be much here for you. Snape and Lily are written alright, but their characterization doesn't exactly carry this story on its own, nor is the dynamic particularly captivating (broody boy head over heels and girl next door type). There's also a significant lack of tension between them---they get along marvelously, which, is great, y'know, if you're into fluffy romance pieces, but that's not exactly a page turner.

2/5.

Edit: @Silirt mate it's better to have spaces and not need it, than need them and not have it. Spam that enter key a bit more, yeah? Or use bullet points.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  8. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

I apologize for causing the waste of time.
    (´;︵;`)
    Still thanks for the reviews.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Alright, so I know that this isn't WbA, but still - I can't divorce my mind from noticing things like how the first two sentences in this story were passive instead of active and the third sentence used a filtering verb.

I'm having trouble getting into this.. The entire first chapter is set-up for the rest of the story and that doesn't bode well.

Stories like this are hard to do right. The issue with Voldemort can't really be resolved because that's for canon to do. So the author is left to both characterize a lot of characters we know very little about as well as come up with original plotlines to carry the story.

The Apprentice does it very well - but in that story, canon!Snape died and found himself once again a teenager at Hogwarts.

There's a lot more telling in this one. In Chapter 2 Snape starts saying Lily wouldn't want to be disturbed. The house was desolate. His parents had asked him about school, etc. His mother hated so and so, etc. There's very little showing to grab onto, so I started skimming.

Then it's trying too hard to show Severus and Lily as friends with James as the rival.

I skimmed through the first 6 chapters or so and didn't see anything to grab me.

Maybe it's a personal thing but I'd rather have more meat than what this has.

2/5

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Chill out and learn to defend yourself or keep quiet.

11. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

Defending is too tiring. I would rather apologize. (^_^)

Maybe apologizing is still too tiring so I probably should keep quiet.
    ╮(╯_╰)╭

It is indeed a bit too slow-paced. The meat part scattered across latter chapters. As someone who love how long it takes harry to find out he was in another dimension in Stranger in an unholy land,maybe it's not surprising that I enjoyed this as well. However,I wonder why I don't like soap operas like I am supposed to.